Why become a member? ×

Jack Casady in New colours

AndyTravis

3 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Nope. The money I save through buying second-hand cars I "invest" in buying basses that are "rare" colours...😉

Come to think of it, I've only bought 2 new basses! 🤣

In all seriousness, its about a 15% increase on the price of the product. 

C'mon Epiphone, either you've got some blue paint, or you haven't. 

My point is that options such as "fancy paint" add to the cost of a new car in a broadly similar way - and I'm not saying I like that it happens, merely acknowledging that it happens.  Don't forget that retailers will jack up the price of new and exciting products because the demand will be there.  I don't like that this phenomonon happens either.  Economies of scale swirled in with supply and demand.

I've never bought a new car either, FWIW.

• 3 weeks later...

Just grabbed myself one of these in the sparkling burgundy!

Loving the sound and the way it plays but think the neck strap button has to move to the horn for me.

Neck drive is a lot more than I thought it would be, even for a semi-acoustic. Not a fan of wide straps, so might have to think about a bridge change or lighter tuners to try get a bit more balance if the button change doesn't cure that a bit as well. Been spoiled by nicely balancing basses.

It's a bass I'd like to try use live so need to find more comfort with it.

Anyone moved the strap pin and did it help?

Thanks.

Will post pics later..

1 minute ago, Highfox said:

Just grabbed myself one of these in the sparkling burgundy!

Loving the sound and the way it plays but think the neck strap button has to move to the horn for me.

Neck drive is a lot more than I thought it would be, even for a semi-acoustic. Not a fan of wide straps, so might have to think about a bridge change or lighter tuners to try get a bit more balance if the button change doesn't cure that a bit as well. Been spoiled by nicely balancing basses.

It's a bass I'd like to try use live so need to find more comfort with it.

Anyone moved the strap pin and did it help?

Thanks.

Will post pics later..

It's a pity you're anti wide strap - the wide, grippy strap is your #1 weapon against neck dive, so much easier to implement with no changes to the bass.  Then it's tuner replacement - get some Hipshot Ultralites or some other lightweight tuners on there.  At least that's a mostly a direct replacement, apart from maybe having to add some screw holes which would be covered up by the back plates of the originals if you ever reverted.  Moving the strap pin to my mind looks a lot more naff than a wide strap, and I don't know if it'll do you much good - the top horn isn't much closer to the headstock than the neck heel.  But I've never done it so I can't say for sure what the effect would be.  Also, I don't know that there's a whole heap of wood to screw into there - if it's just the side wood in the horn with no block at the back of it then it might be a bit risky to go screwing things in there that take weight.

FWIW, I use a Neotech Mega strap with my JC.  Have also used the strap which came with my 20th Anniversary JC - a wide leather type and found that to be tolerable (the Neotech is better though).

But it's your bass, so do what you like :D

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, neepheid said:

It's a pity you're anti wide strap - the wide, grippy strap is your #1 weapon against neck dive, so much easier to implement with no changes to the bass.  Then it's tuner replacement - get some Hipshot Ultralites or some other lightweight tuners on there.  At least that's a mostly a direct replacement, apart from maybe having to add some screw holes which would be covered up by the back plates of the originals if you ever reverted.  Moving the strap pin to my mind looks a lot more naff than a wide strap, and I don't know if it'll do you much good - the top horn isn't much closer to the headstock than the neck heel.  But I've never done it so I can't say for sure what the effect would be.  Also, I don't know that there's a whole heap of wood to screw into there - if it's just the side wood in the horn with no block at the back of it then it might be a bit risky to go screwing things in there that take weight.

FWIW, I use a Neotech Mega strap with my JC.  Have also used the strap which came with my 20th Anniversary JC - a wide leather type and found that to be tolerable (the Neotech is better though).

But it's your bass, so do what you like :D

Thanks.

Those straps look ok and they have them locally, will check it out before I make any changes.  

IMG_20210602_185138.jpg

• Like 2

The JC I had had had the strap button moved, the guy I bought if off then had it filled and just used the original button. I can't imagine he'd have done that if just moving the button cured the dive. I used a suede backed strap on mine and never found neck dive to be an issue, maybe a thin one of those solves your problem? 

• 3 weeks later...

Every now and then you buy something you're not sure about and it turns out perfect. 

What am I waffling on about? A new strap for my pelham blue JC, that's what. 😁

I was browsing straps looking for something that maybe matched a little, rather than my usual grey or black Mono Betty. Came across a teal suede strap on Amazon, only 2.5" wide but sheepskin backed and looked quite comfy. The colour looked different in every picture, but so does the JC, and at only £20 delivered I thought I'd give it a go. 

Well, now it's here it's absolutely bang on, it may as well be marketed as the 'Pelham Blue Jack Casady Bass Strap'. The blue is perfect, the sheepskin matches the pickup and scratchplate perfectly, and the tan suede back is a nod to the bronze knobs I fitted and the wooden back of the JC. 

It's made a Canadian company, Perri's Leathers, and seems to be good quality, but time will tell. A bit grippier than I like, I'm weird, I like a slippery strap, I hate that grabbing at your clothes feeling, but hopefully it'll be fine. It does feel really soft and supple though which is nice. No metal adjusters or anything so can live on the bass in the case. 

I've also fitted some funky strap buttons I came across. With the heel mounted button I can imagine some standard straplocks might be uncomfortable but I found some new ones with an oversized cam shape, you just twist your strap on and it stays put. I really like them, nice and smooth. The one fault, which is a huge design error really, is that as you twist your strap on, especially a new one the cam tries to turn, loosening the button. Not a problem for me as the strap is staying on, but if it was on, off, on, off, I could see it becoming a real issue. 

Anyway, pictures. 😉

kLoWM7p.jpg

lSbpBkw.jpg

aL8Ol4o.jpg

Gk7phb2.jpg

FRrAb3e.jpg

Here's the Amazon link if anyone's interested, they do some other nice looking straps too. 

Perri's strap

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Maude said:

Every now and then you buy something you're not sure about and it turns out perfect. 

What am I waffling on about? A new strap for my pelham blue JC, that's what. 😁

I was browsing straps looking for something that maybe matched a little, rather than my usual grey or black Mono Betty. Came across a teal suede strap on Amazon, only 2.5" wide but sheepskin backed and looked quite comfy. The colour looked different in every picture, but so does the JC, and at only £20 delivered I thought I'd give it a go. 

Well, now it's here it's absolutely bang on, it may as well be marketed as the 'Pelham Blue Jack Casady Bass Strap'. The blue is perfect, the sheepskin matches the pickup and scratchplate perfectly, and the tan suede back is a nod to the bronze knobs I fitted and the wooden back of the JC. 

It's made a Canadian company, Perri's Leathers, and seems to be good quality, but time will tell. A bit grippier than I like, I'm weird, I like a slippery strap, I hate that grabbing at your clothes feeling, but hopefully it'll be fine. It does feel really soft and supple though which is nice. No metal adjusters or anything so can live on the bass in the case. 

I've also fitted some funky strap buttons I came across. With the heel mounted button I can imagine some standard straplocks might be uncomfortable but I found some new ones with an oversized cam shape, you just twist your strap on and it stays put. I really like them, nice and smooth. The one fault, which is a huge design error really, is that as you twist your strap on, especially a new one the cam tries to turn, loosening the button. Not a problem for me as the strap is staying on, but if it was on, off, on, off, I could see it becoming a real issue. 

Anyway, pictures. 😉

kLoWM7p.jpg

lSbpBkw.jpg

aL8Ol4o.jpg

Gk7phb2.jpg

FRrAb3e.jpg

Here's the Amazon link if anyone's interested, they do some other nice looking straps too. 

Perri's strap

Excellent!

Have listed the blue one - unfortunately a bass I thought would sell quickly if I didn’t get on with it has stalled…and I’ve got a few things to clear off.

Pelham blue with tasteful mods at £100 less than nee, in new nick and with a bag…magic.

9 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Have listed the blue one - unfortunately a bass I thought would sell quickly if I didn’t get on with it has stalled…and I’ve got a few things to clear off.

Pelham blue with tasteful mods at £100 less than nee, in new nick and with a bag…magic.

You'll be back. I've bought 3, sold 2, oops ;)

Just now, neepheid said:

You'll be back. I've bought 3, sold 2, oops ;)

No. Not for a long time.

a BB fits me, everything else is just not me.

And I started on a bb 25 years ago. 

So I’ve wasted hundreds of thousands of pounds.

It’s been a hoot though.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I'd be interested in the Babicz bridge if you wanted to split. 

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

No. Not for a long time.

a BB fits me, everything else is just not me.

And I started on a bb 25 years ago. 

So I’ve wasted hundreds of thousands of pounds.

It’s been a hoot though.

This is me with Ricks, except 40 years ago, and maybe a bit less money. 😂

But the important thing is always the last bit, “It’s been a hoot”. If you can say that about anything at the end, it was worth it.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Finally got my JC back after some minor surgery. The Hipshot fits lovely with the aid of a couple of felt pads as recommended by Hipshot.

Unfortunately the Blue Steels it's wearing (as recommended by JC himself) are very disappointing. They left me with dirty black marks on my fingers and the E is a duffer.

I know it's a minor issue but it's ruined the reunion somewhat.

20210619_142325.jpg

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 months later...
On 25/06/2021 at 13:01, Grahambythesea said:

I have seen comments about the difficulty of getting a gig bag to fit a JC. My Peerless came with a hard case, but I found my RokSak bag fits perfectly too.

Bought on eBay, not sure if the company are still offering them but worth a look.

1E55B77D-98D3-4346-B343-DD96AC17A1DA.jpeg

E56184F6-10DA-457D-9689-231867AA4A93.jpeg

I Have just ordered a Burgundy Casady and need a gig bag apologies if it is on the post somewhere but is this the WG 20 model ?? I prefer gig bags to cases if possible and this looks ideal 

18 hours ago, peety said:

I Have just ordered a Burgundy Casady and need a gig bag apologies if it is on the post somewhere but is this the WG 20 model ?? I prefer gig bags to cases if possible and this looks ideal 

I went with the Gator G-PG-semi-hollow / v bag for mine.

https://www.gatorcases.com/products/guitar/pro-go-ultimate-guitar-gig-bags/pro-go-guitar/335flying-v-guitar-gig-bag-g-pg-335v/

3 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Nothing wrong with that, it's a classic finish for this bass - I think it's always been available in black since its introduction.

not to mention i remember mani playing a black one on the screamadelica tour and hes my all time favourite bassist

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...