Why become a member? ×

Jack Casady in New colours

AndyTravis

3 hours ago, Maude said:

I've just watched a fantastic demo of the Jack Casady bass. 

It shows all the tones available really well and it sounds fabulous. 

🙂👍

Is it me or does it sound like he’s switched on a chorus pedal for all of the studio recorded part of the video? First half sounded fine…:S

6 hours ago, CameronJ said:

Is it me or does it sound like he’s switched on a chorus pedal for all of the studio recorded part of the video? First half sounded fine…:S

It does sound a bit that way but I can't decide if it's just the chordal stuff he's playing that makes it sound that way, although the single note stuff has a certain 'shimmer'. 

3 hours ago, Maude said:

It does sound a bit that way but I can't decide if it's just the chordal stuff he's playing that makes it sound that way, although the single note stuff has a certain 'shimmer'. 

Yeah it’s definitely shimmery all the way through the studio section, regardless of his playing technique. Could be some phasing caused by the camera mic and direct bass input both being left active for that portion of the video in the edit.

Oh well…at least the first half of the video was useful :facepalm:

Edited by CameronJ

• 1 month later...

A question to the floor...

Babitz make 2 models of Gibson style 3 point bridges. One is for Gibson and one is for Epiphone. Epi's evidently have a collar on the mounting posts that is raised above the body slightly and the Epi version accommodates this.

What did you guys use on the JC? I think the Epiphone version is only made in black.

Any help greatly appreciated as always.

Peter

On 13/12/2021 at 20:21, GreeneKing said:

A question to the floor...

Babitz make 2 models of Gibson style 3 point bridges. One is for Gibson and one is for Epiphone. Epi's evidently have a collar on the mounting posts that is raised above the body slightly and the Epi version accommodates this.

What did you guys use on the JC? I think the Epiphone version is only made in black.

Any help greatly appreciated as always.

Peter

Some pics of Babicz/Hipshot mounted on page 8...

4 hours ago, neepheid said:

Some pics of Babicz/Hipshot mounted on page 8...

Thank you Matt. I’ve succumbed to a long held longing for a JCB. It’s a new red one and if you know me at all you’ll know I have no qualms modding a new bass getting it how I want it. 
I think I prefer the Babitz over the Hipshot. Babitz confuse the issue by making a hard to get hold of Epiphone version to accommodate the raised collars on the Epi’s inserts. Mine barely has any raised portion. 
Mine is really good quality wise. I’ve lowered the bridge a great deal and fitted Dunlop flats. I needed to put some PTFE tape on the pot spindles to prevent the knobs falling off. 
The tuners are a bit naff and black Hipshot Ultalites are waiting for collecting from the PO. 
The bridge (black) can wait a while but I’m going to move the strap button to the top horn using epoxy forced up into the cavity. 
I’m loving it :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GreeneKing said:

Thank you Matt. I’ve succumbed to a long held longing for a JCB. It’s a new red one and if you know me at all you’ll know I have no qualms modding a new bass getting it how I want it. 
I think I prefer the Babitz over the Hipshot. Babitz confuse the issue by making a hard to get hold of Epiphone version to accommodate the raised collars on the Epi’s inserts. Mine barely has any raised portion. 
Mine is really good quality wise. I’ve lowered the bridge a great deal and fitted Dunlop flats. I needed to put some PTFE tape on the pot spindles to prevent the knobs falling off. 
The tuners are a bit naff and black Hipshot Ultalites are waiting for collecting from the PO. 
The bridge (black) can wait a while but I’m going to move the strap button to the top horn using epoxy forced up into the cavity. 
I’m loving it :)

I have one in the sparkling Burgundy :) I moved the strap pin and fitted ultra-lite hipshot's, the original tuners did the bass no favours. Balances much nicer now overall. Haven't felt the need to change the bridge yet. Enjoy your bass.

2 hours ago, Highfox said:

I have one in the sparkling Burgundy :) I moved the strap pin and fitted ultra-lite hipshot's, the original tuners did the bass no favours. Balances much nicer now overall. Haven't felt the need to change the bridge yet. Enjoy your bass.

Thank you. The balance perhaps varies a little from instrument to instrument. I've played worse. 1990 era NT Warwick Thumbs come to mind :)

Peter

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I've bought (and then sold) at least 4 JCBs, the look of them keeps bringing me back - but I find them awkward to play. I must learn not to buy another!

Great basses, well made, but don't seem to suit my anatomy and/or playing 'style'.

44 minutes ago, krispn said:

Aye I think they can out P a p bass in some situations but being 5’5” I look like a fat Gollum wittering on about how precious it is. 

Support group here.  TL:DR - just play whatever you like and don't give even a single hoot about it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Maude said:

Just seen this one on ebay, all over blue pearl. 

That's Blue Royale.  A limited edition available around 2016.  I had one.  Kinda wish I still had it, it's super sparkly - even the binding is sparkly!

image.thumb.png.b781f19546e366a92bccfdd517653871.png

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, neepheid said:

That's Blue Royale.  A limited edition available around 2016.  I had one.  Kinda wish I still had it, it's super sparkly - even the binding is sparkly!

That looks fantastic. 😎👍

29 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Love it.

Throw sparkles on anything and I'm in