Why become a member? ×

Jack Casady in New colours

AndyTravis

As @OllyW, just unboxed in the garden and it matches the cushions perfectly. 😄

Oh my! 

cEk75jM.jpg

axyJwtk.jpg

Not plugged it in yet but it's really resonant acoustically, the bassline to Joy Division's 24 Hours sounded great with the droning D string. 

And before I knew it, tea was burnt. 🙄😁

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Maude said:

As @OllyW, just unboxed in the garden and it matches the cushions perfectly. 😄

Oh my! 

cEk75jM.jpg

axyJwtk.jpg

Not plugged it in yet but it's really resonant acoustically, the bassline to Joy Division's 24 Hours sounded great with the droning D string. 

And before I knew it, tea was burnt. 🙄😁

The Blue ones look great, well done and enjoy.

However unboxed in the Garden!!! It was Snowing here yesterday !!! LOL (All move to Cornwall?)

• Haha 1

I've just tried some different knobs. There's nothing wrong with the original gold speed knobs, but I've never been a fan of speed knobs and the gold doesn't go with anything else, other than the J.C. signature on the headstock. 

I had a pair of these cheapies left over from my Kay restoration and I really like how the dark amber/copper works with the side wood, but the chrome tops go with the hardware. 

XKa6lmI.jpg

and here she (😆) is with the hollow body family. 

BUICbJY.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Stumbled across a gigbag @walshy was selling.

Looks to be an early 2000’s Ibanez, possibly for an art core model?

Fits Mr Casady like a glove.

FD1267AB-C81E-49B5-B79A-5B2BF1E96C55.jpeg

I've just gone mad and bought the Epiphone JC one. I don't normally like hardcases due to their bulk but I'm planning on the JC being one of my main gigging basses so it's going to need some protection, and frankly I'm a bit worried about the standard Gibson headstock break to use a gigbag, just incase it gets squished. 

How big a problem are the bridge inserts pulling out? I like high tension strings and this will probably get my usual D'addario half rounds for gigging, and I'm not a light fingered, string tickler either. Is it worth (carefully) pulling the inserts out and glueing them in? I'd rather remove them carefully and intentionally rather than by surprise mid gig. Or are the inserts pulling out just the stuff of Internet hearsay?

I've also ordered some Diago straplocks as it seems fairly easy to pull the strap off the neck heel button, especially once  animated on stage. I could just use a rubber washer but I quite like the big flat head of these as I wear expensive suits in the Mod band so they shouldn't rub too much. We'll see. 

On 08/05/2021 at 16:23, Maude said:

I've just gone mad and bought the Epiphone JC one. I don't normally like hardcases due to their bulk but I'm planning on the JC being one of my main gigging basses so it's going to need some protection, and frankly I'm a bit worried about the standard Gibson headstock break to use a gigbag, just incase it gets squished. 

How big a problem are the bridge inserts pulling out? I like high tension strings and this will probably get my usual D'addario half rounds for gigging, and I'm not a light fingered, string tickler either. Is it worth (carefully) pulling the inserts out and glueing them in? I'd rather remove them carefully and intentionally rather than by surprise mid gig. Or are the inserts pulling out just the stuff of Internet hearsay?

I've also ordered some Diago straplocks as it seems fairly easy to pull the strap off the neck heel button, especially once  animated on stage. I could just use a rubber washer but I quite like the big flat head of these as I wear expensive suits in the Mod band so they shouldn't rub too much. We'll see. 

"standard Gibson headstock break" - it's never happened to me and I've had more Gibson basses than most!  All of them carted to and fro gigs in gigbags for years with not a problem.  They don't just fall off if you sneeze near them, you know ;)

Bridge inserts pulling out?  It happened to me once when I was stretching some new strings - I was probably being a bit aggressive.  Apart from that, nada.  It's up to you if you want to glue them, but I would say that your best defence against it happening is keeping the three point bridge level, front to back.  I believe it's more likely to happen if the back of the bridge (the furthest end from the nut) is higher than the front.  Or change the bridge for a Hipshot Supertone or a Babicz.

Thanks for the reply @neepheid, apologies for not acknowledging.

The headstock break remark by myself was a bit tongue in cheek. I needed a case or bag for it anyway so have got the proper hardcase, it arrived this morning and is nice so I'm happy enough with that. 🙂

Re the bridge, I'd kind of factored in getting a Babicz for it but if the standard one is fine then why bother? I am a heavy handed player, always have been so no point trying to change how I play to suit one bass, but if the fixings aren't up to my style then I'd rather address it now properly, rather than have a messy repair to deal with if they pull out unannounced. I have set the bridge up so as the strings have the least leverage possible on the rear fixings. I'll just see how things go. I wish we were out gigging so I could give it a proper test, playing at home doesn't generate the same enthusiastic playing that playing live does. 

22 minutes ago, Maude said:

Thanks for the reply @neepheid, apologies for not acknowledging.

The headstock break remark by myself was a bit tongue in cheek. I needed a case or bag for it anyway so have got the proper hardcase, it arrived this morning and is nice so I'm happy enough with that. 🙂

Re the bridge, I'd kind of factored in getting a Babicz for it but if the standard one is fine then why bother? I am a heavy handed player, always have been so no point trying to change how I play to suit one bass, but if the fixings aren't up to my style then I'd rather address it now properly, rather than have a messy repair to deal with if they pull out unannounced. I have set the bridge up so as the strings have the least leverage possible on the rear fixings. I'll just see how things go. I wish we were out gigging so I could give it a proper test, playing at home doesn't generate the same enthusiastic playing that playing live does. 

Appreciated - hence the winky smiley at the end of my comment :D

The JC is a bit of a 'mare to find a gigbag for - I think it's a bit of a cheek for Epiphone/Gibson to not include one given that it's 1) a hollow body and 2) not an inexpensive bass.  My 20th Anniversary JC came with a gigbag so it clearly can be done when they can be bothered.  Warwick do a couple also which fit (which I have bought in the past), but I do wonder about getting the hard case - it would be nice to treat my JC right but I'm not in a rush - I don't expect I'll be gigging much this year.

I highly doubt that you'll be able to pull the posts out through playing, regardless of your style/enthusiasm levels as long as the bridge is set up well.  As I said, the only time it happened to me when I was stretching new strings and I guess I overdid it.

Thanks for that, I'm just going to set it up so I've got the least leverage on the rear fixings and forget about it. 

The case is very nice I must say, nicely contoured padding to hold the body in place, not just flat bottomed, and not overly bulky. 

The nut height on mine was way too high. On the E string it was over .025” at the first fret while fretted at the third fret, going down to .018” on the G. 
It’s now down to .005-.006” and feels just right. The neck relief was already correct so I only had to give the action a slight tweak and it’s now ready for it’s first rehearsal next week. 

5974BAA4-EE89-4B3E-B0B4-E470AFA77261.jpeg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Maude said:

I'm going to spoil everyone’s JC for them, because once seen it can't be unseen. 

Have a look at the headstock and ask yourself who 'Slack Casady' is? 

😉

Jack's sister. Her real name is Alice but everyone knows her as Slack.

Edited by Chienmortbb
  • Haha 2

On 08/05/2021 at 16:23, Maude said:

It is a well known issue on Les paul and SG guitars and Gibson could have cured it years ago by adding a volute on the rear of the neck, approx below the nut. A volute is a lump of wood strengthening neck where the fingerboard ends and the headstock starts. Of course the JC DOES have a volute so worry no more. I cannot see whether the neck has a scarf joint that wouild strengthen it even more from the picture though.

Epipone 1-0 Gibson.

.1542520259_JCvolute.png.f0b7f797310caec00def936dfd791d12.png

Edited by Chienmortbb
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

It is a well known issue on Les paul and SG guitars and Gibson could have cured it years ago by adding a volute on the rear of the neck, approx below the nut. A volute is a lump of wood strengthening neck where the fingerboard ends and the headstock starts. Of course the JC DOES have a volute so worry no more. I cannot see whether the neck has a scarf joint that wouild strengthen it even more from the picture though.

Epipone 1-0 Gibson.

Gibson have cured it years ago and know full well how to reinforce a neck having used a variety of volutes and scarf jointed headstocks over the years on many of their basses.  Not currently, of course - what a contrary bunch they are - I would say right now they are in another of their fallow seasons when it comes to bass; a paltry, half-assed offering which does little more than acknowledge that basses exist and "maybe we should make a few".

My relationship with Gibson I liken to the one I have with my provincial football team - a lot of crushing lows with occasional soaring highs :)

16 hours ago, Maude said:

I'm going to spoil everyone’s JC for them, because once seen it can't be unseen. 

Have a look at the headstock and ask yourself who 'Slack Casady' is? 

😉

Oh no, I hope none of my bandmates see this - Slack Casady will become my new nickname for sure ;)

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

Epipone 1-0 Gibson.

.1542520259_JCvolute.png.f0b7f797310caec00def936dfd791d12.png

No volute and no scarf joint, that I can see, on my JC. 

The problem as I understand it is that Gibson/Epiphone necks are made from mahogany, which is relatively hard and has very short grain/fibres, making it quite a brittle wood. 

I'm not worried now anyway as I've got the hardcase. 

On 15/05/2021 at 21:00, Maude said:

No volute and no scarf joint, that I can see, on my JC. 

The problem as I understand it is that Gibson/Epiphone necks are made from mahogany, which is relatively hard and has very short grain/fibres, making it quite a brittle wood. 

I'm not worried now anyway as I've got the hardcase. 

Sorry, it looks like a volute under the QC label .

51 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Have you ever bought a (new) car?

Nope. The money I save through buying second-hand cars I "invest" in buying basses that are "rare" colours...😉

Come to think of it, I've only bought 2 new basses! 🤣

In all seriousness, its about a 15% increase on the price of the product. 

C'mon Epiphone, either you've got some blue paint, or you haven't.