Why become a member? ×

Jack Casady in New colours

AndyTravis

2 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Afternoon all. I've just noticed Gear4Music have some Casady cases in stock! Needless to say I've bought one and it should be here on Monday. 

There are 3 left!

Also available at GigGear and DV247.  Same price.  Thinking of treating my JC to one also, but keeping money back for the car insurance due next month first.  So leave one for me please! :)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Also available at GigGear and DV247.  Same price.  Thinking of treating my JC to one also, but keeping money back for the car insurance due next month first.  So leave one for me please! :)

Be careful with DV247 - unless it specifically states the case is in Romford, it will come from Germany.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Highfox said:

One of these has caught my eye now for a while. Have a question for owners, are the 3 point bridges on these as bad as I have read in someplace's? Could do without having to upgrade.

No. They’re perfectly serviceable.

If you’re adjusting the bridge height - make sure the tension is off the strings and that you use an appropriate flat head (wide) screwdriver.

I changed mine because a Babicz became available and I liked it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Highfox said:

One of these has caught my eye now for a while. Have a question for owners, are the 3 point bridges on these as bad as I have read in someplace's? Could do without having to upgrade.

The bridge on mine is fine? I see no problem?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Highfox said:

Well they are not the best bridge ever created.  On the other hand, they're not the worst either.  But unless you are the sort of person who likes total control of things like string spacing and individual string heights then it's going to be OK.  Set it up and forget about it.  String the bass with flats and never touch it again ;)

Any bridge which has caveats for operation clearly isn't elegant.  Here are some of mine:

Beware of having the back of the bridge significantly higher or lower than the front - it is possible to pull the mounts out of the body with string tension applied.  Back being higher than front makes it more likely for this to happen if I remember correctly.  Try and keep it level, front to back.

If you're removing your strings (for cleaning or changing them for example) - keep a hold of the bridge when you release the tension on that last string.  String tension is the only thing keeping the bridge up against the posts.  Neglect this and expect to have a metal bridge drop onto your lovely shiny bass.

BONUS CAVEAT: You may well find that the silked bits on silked strings go over the bridge saddles.  Some people find that annoying or tell you how detrimental this is to your tone.  Solutions - buy unsilked strings, scrape the silk off, thread some small nuts/washers on the ends of the strings so they end up between the ball ends and the bridge, or get a mod bar (cylinder of metal with holes bored through it).

If this all sounds like too much work, or if you simply must have per string adjustment of spacing and height then by all means replace it with either a Hipshot Supertone or a Babicz.  You'll have to do something to combat the arched top though.  Have seen some people place felt pads under the Supertone.  I think the Babicz has a curved shim available - did I read that somewhere or did I just imagine the curved bit?

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

Well they are not the best bridge ever created.  On the other hand, they're not the worst either.  But unless you are the sort of person who likes total control of things like string spacing and individual string heights then it's going to be OK.  Set it up and forget about it.  String the bass with flats and never touch it again ;)

Any bridge which has caveats for operation clearly isn't elegant.  Here are some of mine:

Beware of having the back of the bridge significantly higher or lower than the front - it is possible to pull the mounts out of the body with string tension applied.  Back being higher than front makes it more likely for this to happen if I remember correctly.  Try and keep it level, front to back.

If you're removing your strings (for cleaning or changing them for example) - keep a hold of the bridge when you release the tension on that last string.  String tension is the only thing keeping the bridge up against the posts.  Neglect this and expect to have a metal bridge drop onto your lovely shiny bass.

BONUS CAVEAT: You may well find that the silked bits on silked strings go over the bridge saddles.  Some people find that annoying or tell you how detrimental this is to your tone.  Solutions - buy unsilked strings, scrape the silk off, thread some small nuts/washers on the ends of the strings so they end up between the ball ends and the bridge, or get a mod bar (cylinder of metal with holes bored through it).

If this all sounds like too much work, or if you simply must have per string adjustment of spacing and height then by all means replace it with either a Hipshot Supertone or a Babicz.  You'll have to do something to combat the arched top though.  Have seen some people place felt pads under the Supertone.  I think the Babicz has a curved shim available - did I read that somewhere or did I just imagine the curved bit?

I've got the Hipshot - I haven't installed it yet but research suggests a couple of the little felt pads are needed.

The Babicz comes with a shim. I don't think it's curved to fit the JC arch but @AndyTravis seems to have fitted his successfully.

1 hour ago, Highfox said:

They work, but only just. Once they're set up you're ok, but there's just too many little issues as others have already mentioned.

My main issue is how they're suspended on stilts away from the body like an oil rig. This is mainly an aesthetic concern as they just seem so fragile.

The lack of space between the saddle and end of the bridge is a pain. Even if you use unsilked strings the lumpy wound part can still rest on the saddle. 

Bottom line - Jack Casady plays these things non-stop and he gets on ok with the bridge!

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar

On 28/03/2021 at 15:34, Chienmortbb said:

I have to say that JC was probably my biggest inspiration to play bass ( and of course I loved Grace Slick). Listen to the bass on the live version of Somebody To Love from the Bless It's Pointed Little Head album*.

Here it is Played by Jack on a Jack.

Happy Birthday Today Jack

• Like 1

On 10/04/2021 at 20:49, neepheid said:

Sold out now, what happened to leaving one for me? ;)

20 minutes ago, krispn said:

How’s it playing now with the Babicz? I had a regular Babicz on a jazz and it was so easy to set up!

Great - it’s a weird balance for me with a hollowbody, I keep the action a bit higher than I would on a solid body.

so it’s ideal really - probably “plays well” for 99% of people and suits me fine as my skill level doesn’t merit any kind of pickiness or accuracy 😂

• Like 1

On 19/04/2021 at 20:17, Maude said:

I was tempted to buy a case in readiness but I've a nagging doubt I won't be seeing mine. I don't know why, and hopefully I'll be wrong. 

The pelham blues are back in stock at Guitarguitar so hopefully PMT will be getting theirs soon. I’ve also got one pre-ordered with them so fingers crossed.

Edited by OllyW

3 hours ago, OllyW said:

The pelham blues are back in stock at Guitarguitar so hopefully PMT will be getting theirs soon. I’ve also got one pre-ordered with them so fingers crossed.

Ooh, hopefully soon then, maybe. 😁

• Like 1

I see a few places have them showing in stock now as well as Guitar Guitar, GAK and Bax have stock. 

I only went with PMT because they offered 0% finance. I could just buy it outright, but £35 p/m feels like a I'm getting a freeby. 😁

• 2 weeks later...