Why become a member? ×

Jack Casady in New colours

AndyTravis

17 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

They’re ace. 

Ive done some recordings with mine to try and give an idea of sounds.

I’ll upload shortly - not that I wanted to put this stuff out there, but - what the heck 😂

the top one (soundtrack one) takes a while to get going, “Trav cruises” is a stupid joke I did with @Cuzzie and “Skylines” was more about getting used to a new guitar.

it’s wearing well worn sadowsky rounds.

It’s a stonewalled hit

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

They’re ace. 

Ive done some recordings with mine to try and give an idea of sounds.

I’ll upload shortly - not that I wanted to put this stuff out there, but - what the heck 😂

the top one (soundtrack one) takes a while to get going, “Trav cruises” is a stupid joke I did with @Cuzzie and “Skylines” was more about getting used to a new guitar.

it’s wearing well worn sadowsky rounds.

I'll have a proper listen later with headphones but I don't need convincing, the deed is done. 😁

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Maude said:

Whilst I agree that JC is a superb bassist, and I do enjoy some Jefferson Airplane, they/he is not my usual cup of tea. It don't really see this bass as a signature model, rather a great bass in it's own right. Signature models are daft anyway, JC could come and play my cheapest rubbish and sound like JC, while on the Epiphone JC I'd sound like me. 

I'm just going by the opinions of others. Many people on here whose opinion I respect have had  one, sold it, regretted it and bought another. Many, many comments about how great they sound. It seems like a lot of bass for not a lot of money, the finance is cheaper than a daily cuppa from a van. I'm not sure I've seen many reviews knocking the tone, but maybe I've blocked them from memory. Agreed, it's not all about looks but it is stunning, style wise it's right up my street. 

Living in Cornwall, trying before you buy is pretty much out of the question for nearly everything bass related, unless you want something cheap and incredibly run of the mill. 

What is it you don't like about it? 

🙂

Nothing really except perhaps I have never really thought of Epiphione as a bass brand and I really don't nned another bass, at least untill I sell one or two.

• Like 1

Would love a Gibson Les Paul Signature from the 70’s or a reissue.

Cannot believe with the popularity of the Casady, that they’ve not done it.

And I know essentially on paper, there wouldn’t be much in it - it would just be a lovely thing to own.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

Nothing really except perhaps I have never really thought of Epiphione as a bass brand and I really don't nned another bass, at least untill I sell one or two.

Ooh brand snobbery 😄

To be honest, I do know what you mean, but I've seen nothing but praise for these (mainly 😉). 

16 hours ago, Maude said:

Ooh brand snobbery 😄

To be honest, I do know what you mean, but I've seen nothing but praise for these (mainly 😉). 

I have had an Epiphone guitar made in Japan around 1970 (yes i am that old) and it was superb, one of my "why did I sell that" I also had a Epiphone Les Paul a few years back that was awful, not a patch on the Harley Benton that replaced it.

I would say that if the balance were not so awful, the Epiphone Thunderbird bass I tried, belonging to another band's bassist. would have been in my collection.

Soi not brand snobbery, worried about  quality consistancy.

2 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

I have had an Epiphone guitar made in Japan around 1970 (yes i am that old) and it was superb, one of my "why did I sell that" I also had a Epiphone Les Paul a few years back that was awful, not a patch on the Harley Benton that replaced it.

I would say that if the balance were not so awful, the Epiphone Thunderbird bass I tried, belonging to another band's bassist. would have been in my collection.

Soi not brand snobbery, worried about  quality consistancy.

I was only jesting. 🙂

Hopefully it'll be fine, but if not it can always be returned. 

I rang PMT (who I've ordered from) today as I had to cancel two JC's, yeah I ordered three yesterday 🤦, the best timescale they could give me was three weeks to three months so it could be a long wait. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am what you would consider a serial Jack Casady owner.  I've had 3, sold 2.  I had a gold one, sold it.  I had a limited edition blue royale one (the one which was blue sparkly all over, even the sides and the binding was pearl sparkly too), sold it.  I should point out that both times I sold it was no reflection on the basses themselves, first time was stupid itchy feet and the second time was needing to make ends meet.

Currently I have the 20th Anniversary one (trans red with flame maple top).  I am enjoying the new colours but for me the 20th Anniversary is the classiest Jack Casady - except for the cheesy truss rod cover maybe ;) Might see if I can source a regular Epiphone E one and just keep the 20th Anniversary one safe with the rest of the nicknacks which came with it.

Please slap me if I ever think of selling it, as it won't be as easily replaced as, say a gold top or ebony one.

Threads like this give me the crazy, "what I'd do if I won the lottery" type of thought - collect ALL the Jack Casady finishes.  Getting the sunburst one would be the most difficult I would think - was only available early on when they were first released 20+ years ago, I think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

I am what you would consider a serial Jack Casady owner.  I've had 3, sold 2.  I had a gold one, sold it.  I had a limited edition blue royale one (the one which was blue sparkly all over, even the sides and the binding was pearl sparkly too), sold it.  I should point out that both times I sold it was no reflection on the basses themselves, first time was stupid itchy feet and the second time was needing to make ends meet.

Currently I have the 20th Anniversary one (trans red with flame maple top).  I am enjoying the new colours but for me the 20th Anniversary is the classiest Jack Casady - except for the cheesy truss rod cover maybe ;) Might see if I can source a regular Epiphone E one and just keep the 20th Anniversary one safe with the rest of the nicknacks which came with it.

Please slap me if I ever think of selling it, as it won't be as easily replaced as, say a gold top or ebony one.

Threads like this give me the crazy, "what I'd do if I won the lottery" type of thought - collect ALL the Jack Casady finishes.  Getting the sunburst one would be the most difficult I would think - was only available early on when they were first released 20+ years ago, I think.

:useless:

On 28/03/2021 at 15:34, Chienmortbb said:

I have to say that JC was probably my biggest inspiration to play bass ( and of course I loved Grace Slick). Listen to the bass on the live version of Somebody To Love from the Bless It's Pointed Little Head album*. Now back to the bass, ignore the colours, if you can, what makes this a great bass? I know the Tone circuit is unique but Gibson/Epiphone are not renowned for their bass pups. Tell me what I am missing.

Oh wow I just listened to it again.

I think You will find that Jack used a Guild Starfire modified by the early incarnation of Alembic for that album (and most of that time period ). He didn't use a Gibson until the 80's. But He would of sounded great playing anything...

Like someone said the Epi JC is a really good very reasonably priced usable Bass