Why become a member? ×

Jack Casady in New colours

AndyTravis

2 minutes ago, krispn said:

These basses do sound fab. I nabbed the pick up and transformer hoping to put it into a 51 p bass but don't thing it's as viable an option as I'd hoped. Does that justify getting another one? The JC looks massive on me :) but the sounds really is cracking. The bridge up grades both look great but sounds like the Babicz might just have it?

I think the Hipshot looks amazing, really clean looking. The Babicz is delightful though, offsets all that empty space.

do you still have the pickup?

I fancy a gold 2pu version 🥸

3 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

The Hipshot is here already! I'm in two minds about keeping it or exchanging it for the Babicz. I prefer the less brutal look of the Hipshot, but if the Babicz fits the body better...

Andy - could you do me a favour and take a picture or two showing how well the Babicz fits against the arch of the body?

So it’s not totally flush to compensate for the curve, and the single (middle) post ferrule is flush.

343EC776-A3A4-4083-A170-D47E3D6B4C4D.jpeg

B74FC5D4-6DBA-4774-AA36-0AA16E274C31.jpeg

BEB7F7FE-6821-4FB7-AAD6-06861B2CA084.jpeg

• Like 4

My only thing with the Babicz is if you palm mute a lot - how the cam wheels work by design is you have to mute a little further along than on a more standard bridge. In terms of set up the Babicz is so easy and a great design. I had one on a jazz bass. Easiest set up ever!

@AndyTravis yup still have it and the wiring transformer all hooked up so you could have the mid selector for both or swap the existing one to a black one. 🙂

2 minutes ago, krispn said:

My only thing with the Babicz is if you palm mute a lot - how the cam wheels work by design is you have to mute a little further along than on a more standard bridge. In terms of set up the Babicz is so easy and a great design. I had one on a jazz bass. Easiest set up ever!

@AndyTravis yup still have it and the wiring transformer all hooked up so you could have the mid selector for both or swap the existing one to a black one. 🙂

Oh it’s a black pickup? If you’re interested in selling, let me know x

Also, I haven’t actually set the bridge up yet.

I’m taking the sadowsky strings off my HPJ which while no longer “bright” enough for the band stuff, are still lovely and fresh, they feel 1000% nicer than the stock Epiphone ones.

A bass direct envelope has just arrived with my spanky new ones for the sadowsky so the change can happen.

Unfortunately, all the messing about for tomorrow is in my way.

Edited by AndyTravis

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm having a particularly weak moment in bass buying resistance. 

Does anyone know what sort of time we're likely to see the next batch of JC's? 

You can buy one on interest free for 18 months with a 10% deposit, so really it would be like not actually paying anything noticeable for a new bass, and I don't have anything in Pelham Blue. 😁

The trouble is the only rough date I can find is possibly September. As you can understand that doesn't extinguish GAS, and I'm trying to fight off buying a vintage Framus for far too much money. 😄

Well that escalated quickly. 🤣

I was on PMT sites idly messing and decided to see if the 18 months 0% would start from the the order date, that way the bass would be half paid for by the time I see it, and I'd rather that. I put it in my basket and clicked the finance button just to get directed to the finance company to see how it worked. Up flashed 'ORDER PLACED' 😄

Now do I ring up and cancel or just complete the finance application?

2 minutes ago, Maude said:

Well that escalated quickly. 🤣

I was on PMT sites idly messing and decided to see if the 18 months 0% would start from the the order date, that way the bass would be half paid for by the time I see it, and I'd rather that. I put it in my basket and clicked the finance button just to get directed to the finance company to see how it worked. Up flashed 'ORDER PLACED' 😄

Now do I ring up and cancel or just complete the finance application?

What a dilemma! 

• Haha 1

I have to say that JC was probably my biggest inspiration to play bass ( and of course I loved Grace Slick). Listen to the bass on the live version of Somebody To Love from the Bless It's Pointed Little Head album*. Now back to the bass, ignore the colours, if you can, what makes this a great bass? I know the Tone circuit is unique but Gibson/Epiphone are not renowned for their bass pups. Tell me what I am missing.

Oh wow I just listened to it again.

Edited by Chienmortbb
Found track.
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

I have to say that JC was probably my biggest inspiration to play bass ( and of course I loved Grace Slick). Listen to the bass on the live version of Somebody To Love from the Bless It's Pointed Little Head album*. 

Whilst I agree that JC is a superb bassist, and I do enjoy some Jefferson Airplane, they/he is not my usual cup of tea. It don't really see this bass as a signature model, rather a great bass in it's own right. Signature models are daft anyway, JC could come and play my cheapest rubbish and sound like JC, while on the Epiphone JC I'd sound like me. 

23 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

Now back to the bass, ignore the colours, if you can, what makes this a great bass? I know the Tone circuit is unique but Gibson/Epiphone are not renowned for their bass pups. Tell me what I am missing. 

I'm just going by the opinions of others. Many people on here whose opinion I respect have had  one, sold it, regretted it and bought another. Many, many comments about how great they sound. It seems like a lot of bass for not a lot of money, the finance is cheaper than a daily cuppa from a van. I'm not sure I've seen many reviews knocking the tone, but maybe I've blocked them from memory. Agreed, it's not all about looks but it is stunning, style wise it's right up my street. 

Living in Cornwall, trying before you buy is pretty much out of the question for nearly everything bass related, unless you want something cheap and incredibly run of the mill. 

What is it you don't like about it? 

🙂

They’re ace. 

Ive done some recordings with mine to try and give an idea of sounds.

I’ll upload shortly - not that I wanted to put this stuff out there, but - what the heck 😂

the top one (soundtrack one) takes a while to get going, “Trav cruises” is a stupid joke I did with @Cuzzie and “Skylines” was more about getting used to a new guitar.

it’s wearing well worn sadowsky rounds.

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 3