Why become a member? ×

Band rehearsal in tier 2/3?

41Hz

I've been thinking about this recently too. The guys in the band are happy to rehearse but I've decided not to. I'm in tier 2.

Although some of the rules seem a bit nonsensical, especially when it comes to workers in hospitality or heritage, it just seems like an unnecessary bending of the rules in my circumstances - I have been working from home and can continue to do so, and playing the bass isn't my job.

I also was thinking about how if I came into contact with somebody on the tube or something and had to isolate I may not be able to see family at Christmas. That said I know there is probably just as much risk in going to Sainsburys, and the whole Christmas covid break all seems very odd even with appropriate bubble type procedures followed. I'll still have to take a probably busy train for a couple of hours to see my family, so that's hardly covid secure even with a mask and hand wash etc.

Tricky old situation to make sense of, but I agree we shouldn't actively look for ways to bend the rules.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I am also not dissagreeing that this is not ideal and with better management by the powers that be we wouldn't be anywhere near this situation in the first place, although I have gone from blaming the government entirely to realising that we are probably a country that probably deserve the government we have.

Not entirely sure about that.  It's difficult to make direct comparisons between countries due to lifestyles, population densities and demographics.  The English government seems to be getting an awful lot of stick for mismanagement but in reality they haven't been significantly different in approach to most European countries - maybe with the exception of a few days delay in the first lockdown.  Scotland and Wales have managed the pandemic with an eye on making sure they maintain an independent approach  but you'd be hard pressed to identify real differences in the strategies.  Scotland has done slightly better than England when you look at deaths per million population, but I suspect of you stripped out Manchester and London the rates would be pretty much the same.  Almost all governments have lurched between lockdown and relaxation and have suffered from the approach.

More importantly between lockdowns I was able to go on holiday for a week and was baffled by the very different approach taken by the local businesses where I stayed compared to the restrictions where I live - the same rules and guidance existed but you wouldn't have known that from the way the businesses had reacted.  I'm not sure if that is something to do with local guidance or some kind of local groupthink.