Why become a member? ×

Band rehearsal in tier 2/3?

41Hz

23 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

as I said earlier it all depends how risk averse everybody is, some don't want to take any risks, others, like me, think the odds of actually dying from Covid, if there's no underlying health issues, (if you catch it all all) are so low, it's worth it.

I’m with you. I may live (or not) to regret it, but i find the % of people dying to be very, very low in relation to those getting it. Obviously thats no conciliation to those that have died/lost someone etc, and i know its a killer, but I’m not one to think ill get it so easy. I am careful. 

Within the band we all feel the same. None of us go out to social gatherings like pubs or in groups. We use common sense and i feel safe around these people.

8 minutes ago, Beedster said:

I do quite a lot of work in sport, two early studies of Covid transmission suggested up to 10m dispersion for a runner and up to 20m for a cyclist. OK, these athletes are moving so they leave a wake of moving air behind them that makes the problem worse, But a key factor is the intensity of breathing, high oxygen demand produces higher inhalation and expiration rates and volumes. Both gyms and studios with singers are dangerous as the result, the latter more so because singing requires high oxygen demand plus higher rate of expiration than even athletes.

I know the chance of getting it outside is lower, but it amazes me the amount of pavement joggers that splutter past pedestrians at very close distances though central london. Weaving in and out of them. This is very worrying as you can even see fluid coming out of their mouths sometimes. 

This to me shows a lack of caring about others and seems very selfish. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I know the chance of getting it outside is lower, but it amazes me the amount of pavement joggers that splutter past pedestrians at very close distances though central london. Weaving in and out of them. This is very worrying as you can even see fluid coming out of their mouths sometimes. 

This to me shows a lack of caring about others and seems very selfish. 

Absolutely, but singers push out more air, and therefore more droplets and molecules, and they’re indoors 

6 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Absolutely, but singers push out more air, and therefore more droplets and molecules, and they’re indoors 

True, but if they don’t have the virus its not a problem. Ive never caught a cold or flu by rehearsing as far as i know, and thats also transmitted in the same way I believe. 

My point though, was how selfish some people can be. You walk well away from people to keep safe, then get some idiot spluttering all round you because they want to stay fit. Sod the rest of ya. 

No matter how hard we try and stay safe, and by that i mean making what you feel are the right actions, there are others that just don't give a toss about others. 

17 minutes ago, Beedster said:

How do you know your singer doesn’t have the virus? 

Well i live with her, and as i said she has 2-3 tests a month. Ive had two tests in the past 2 months as well. 

She also has to check in at the places she visits (interior fit outs) and has not been alerted once by the track and trace app. 

Edited by dave_bass5

Another factor is the age and vulnerability of your band colleagues/mates/friends.  Despite living in a low Covid rate area we stopped rehearsing a long time ago.  2 of 3 of us are over 60, one is still a teacher and two of us have partners who are teachers.  I am amazed that so far none of us has succumbed.  Having got this far it would be most unfortunate to become a victim now when 'safety' is possibly only a few months away.

On a different tack but related, why does wearing a mask make people feel invulnerable and thus quite ok to get 'up close' 2m lol, more like 20cm :(

Edited by 3below

We are in T3.  For one band we are all agreed it's not worth the risk.

For the other they are wanting to use the 'it's work' excuse when it really, really isn't since we all have day jobs.  I think the other three would do it but I am not comfortable despite having a decent amount of space.

25 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Strange isnt it, considering how fast it’s supposed to be able to spread. 

You doubt the data Dave? Go visit a COVID ward, speak to doctors and nurses who do the caring and put their lives at risk every day, and explain to them that it’s Ok, you’re in a band and you need to rehearse. And go to the gym for whatever reason. But the supermarkets are at mostly at fault, cos while you need to play and exercise, people don’t need food. 

• Like 6

There was what I think is sensible advice on the radio this morning. 

If in doubt ask yourself 2 questions.

If I got stopped by the police could I justify my journey?

If I picked up the virus, could I pass it on to anyone who is vulnerable?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Paul S said:

There was what I think is sensible advice on the radio this morning. 

If in doubt ask yourself 2 questions.

If I got stopped by the police could I justify my journey?

If I picked up the virus, could I pass it on to anyone who is vulnerable?

fair enough.

Question 1, depends on the copper.

Question 2 No

14 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

I’m with you. I may live (or not) to regret it, but i find the % of people dying to be very, very low in relation to those getting it. Obviously thats no conciliation to those that have died/lost someone etc, and i know its a killer, but I’m not one to think ill get it so easy. I am careful. 

Within the band we all feel the same. None of us go out to social gatherings like pubs or in groups. We use common sense and i feel safe around these people.

While the % of people who catch it and die is relatively low, you might want to think of the % of people who still suffer months on with varying degrees of long covid, some with possibly permanent damage.  This is the unknown entity.  I caught Covid back in Feb/March and while I’m relieved to be alive and functioning, I’m still suffering with breathlessness and the inability to concentrate properly.  People just need to be sensible and minimise risk where they can.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, gt4ever said:

While the % of people who catch it and die is relatively low, you might want to think of the % of people who still suffer months on with varying degrees of long covid, some with possibly permanent damage.  This is the unknown entity.  I caught Covid back in Feb/March and while I’m relieved to be alive and functioning, I’m still suffering with breathlessness and the inability to concentrate properly.  People just need to be sensible and minimise risk where they can.

That is sort of my fear. I don't want to die, obvs, and if I do die I don't want the extended tube down my throat drawn out dying thing, but much more than that, I don't want to get it and live with the long tail version. If I can't concentrate and I can't move around without trouble, then I am not going to be able to be working.

Its a small risk, but my markov decision process tells me that it really isn't worth the effort of playing mustang sally in a room with a bunch of people

• Like 4

We are lucky that our singer has his own very large studio based at his home, up until this recent lockdown we were rehearsing weekly.

We are now going to be rated as tier 2, so rehearsals are still not allowed.

We are a four piece band, so the two very clear rules below make rehearsing together an absolute no no.

Only two support bubbles can meet indoors socially.

The rule of 6 only applies to outdoor meetings.

Some of you may remember how close I came to dying from it back in March. Close enough to have to make the calls to my parents, wife and kids. It wasn’t nice. 
Now we’re in November and I’m still suffering badly with long COVID. Only working 3 hours a day four mornings, and that’s when I can manage it. 
I wrote this blog a few months back and haven’t progressed since. In fact I have more symptoms now than I did and am in more pain. 
Please have a read and factor getting long COVID into your decisions.  I took the picture from my critical bed. 
https://gafranksauthor.home.blog/2020/09/21/living-with-long-covid-19/

Edited by gafbass02
  • Thanks 5

33 minutes ago, gafbass02 said:

Some of you may remember how close I came to dying from it back in March. Close enough to have to make the calls to my parents, wife and kids. It wasn’t nice. 
Now we’re in November and I’m still suffering badly with long COVID. Only working 3 hours a day four mornings, and that’s when I can manage it. 
I wrote this blog a few months back and haven’t progressed since. In fact I have more symptoms now than I did and am in more pain. 
Please have a read and factor getting long COVID into your decisions.  I took the picture from my critical bed. 

That’s a pretty sobering read gafbass, I hope you start feeling better soon.

I don’t think I’ll be getting in a rehearsal room until I’ve been vaccinated.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gafbass02 said:

Sorry to hear that @gafbass02 I hope things improve for you soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bassfinger said:

I can't see how rehearsals would be considered "work" unless you're being paid to rehearse.

We discussed this (in the summer lull), our drummer being a solicitor in the day job.  His take was that unless we are the Rolling Stones or similar the powers that be would take a dim view.  In the event of a caution or conviction all three of us would face professional de-registration which is career terminating in our respective employments.  

I have to point out that finding a loophole in the rules to do something you enjoy may be possible, but it isn't really what you should be doing.  If everyone takes as much effort find ways around the rules as some people on this thread are suggesting the tier system is pointless and we'll go back to another lockdown very soon.

I'm personally not a fan of the rules and think a lot of them are nonsense, but if we all break the spirit of the ones we think are stupid then we know what will happen.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking for information on this so thank you to @dudewheresmybass for the Musician's Union info.

Our rehearsal space is now open and the rest of the band want to rehearse (amateur, no gigs for next 6 months). Given that I have been working on the Covid response I want to make sure that I follow the guidance. In Tier 2 this looks like 'non-professional' groups could only rehearse if they were part of the same household or bubble. https://www.musiciansunion.org.uk/Home/Advice/covid-19/Covid-Restrictions-FAQ

The rest of them will practice without me on Monday, and I'm quite comfortable with that.

• Like 1