Why become a member? ×

Band rehearsal in tier 2/3?

41Hz

I’ve now moved up from tier 1 to 2, so what’s the general feeling on rehearsals for tier 2/3 (for amateur pub bands).

I’m personally not that keen anyway, both from the risk and the fact there are no gigs to brush up for anyway, but some of the others are still keen and think we are exempt from the rules as we get paid. It’s certainly not my livelihood and the occasional £50 I get for a gig really doesn’t make me a professional musician (in my opinion). 

Interested to hear what others are doing or if anyone has found any guidance for pub bands.

Our frontman has built a new rehearsal space that is big enough for us to rehearse in (6 of us, anyway) and still remain distanced. On that basis, I'd love to get together and make some music. I haven't made any loud amplified noise since March and it is driving me bonkers. I'm hoping my bandmates will be happy to do it.

• Haha 1

we've had this discussion, my feeling was that it is work, we get paid, even if it only covers expenses, and if you can't work from home you can go into work, however we are  in Tier 3 so there won't be any gigs anyway, obviously the whole band has to be in agreement, if any of you are risk averse it's not going to happen 

I can't see it being allowed in T2 and T3. Doesn't make sense with the rest of the restrictions.

And TBH it is looking more promising that we might get a working vaccine in the next 6 months. I'd be waiting.

I just hope the first round of people who get it do it properly. Get the dose, keep isolating / distancing for the 2-3 week period for antibodies to develop, 2nd shot etc. Actually follow the instructions.

Then maybe - just maybe we might have a good summer next year.

• Like 4

Our rehearsal studio has on its website that the guidance is that rehearsals may be to prepare for upcoming gigs or potential gigs, therefore anyone rehearsing with a view to getting paid work is welcome to rehearse there.

It’s a difficult one, I think it’s a loophole that people can use legitimately - we actually do have paid work booked, the one and only gig we ever intend to do, but following the guidance we fit in. 

17 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Our rehearsal studio has on its website that the guidance is that rehearsals may be to prepare for upcoming gigs or potential gigs, therefore anyone rehearsing with a view to getting paid work is welcome to rehearse there.

It’s a difficult one, I think it’s a loophole that people can use legitimately - we actually do have paid work booked, the one and only gig we ever intend to do, but following the guidance we fit in. 

Same with our studio. 

Lets  not foget its not a total lock down like the first. Parole are still going to work/school etc. The tiers seem to be aimed at keeping away from each other unless there is a need. 

We had this discussion a few weeks ago on here.

My band has been rehearsing on a fortnightly basis and really enjoying it. I live for playing in bands, and it seems like the others do as well, so we enjoy playing in a band environment without a need to have a financial reason to do it. 

Would be nice if we did though. 

Ironically we canceled tonight’s one as earlier today the drummer was pinged by the NHS app and told to isolate for 14 days. And there was me going to kick him out after it lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Guess it depends on how good your immune system is? If you're immune to COVID, keep rehearsing. 

How would you know if it is or isnt? 

We now how it’s transmitted, common sense will go a long way. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

Just now, dave_bass5 said:

How would you know if it is or isnt? 

Apologies Dave, I was being a facetious, given the rate of infection at present, and given that no-one knows their own immunity, I'd not be taking any risks, and rehearsals are a risk. We live at the top of a road, no joke, the infection appears to be making its way up the street at present. Even the most conservative scientists are saying there will be a massive explosion of it over Xmas. As a family, we're staying very locked down. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Why not stage the rehearsal room like a hairdressing / nail salon.  For reasons only the big blonde clown knows,  apparently hair cuts and trimmed nails are essential, and very  important

Or a gym, because whilst singers chuck out loads of potentially infected air into a confined space, no-one has ever done that in a gym

1 minute ago, Beedster said:

Apologies Dave, I was being a facetious, given the rate of infection at present, and given that no-one knows their own immunity, I'd not be taking any risks, and rehearsals are a risk. We live at the top of a road, no joke, the infection appears to be making its way up the street at present. Even the most conservative scientists are saying there will be a massive explosion of it over Xmas. As a family, we're staying very locked down. 

Fair enough. I think its a right mess as well. We (the band) take our own gear other than PA. Our singer wears surgical gloves all night, so she is safe using the PA, and we make sure we are keeping our distance from each other. Its a large room so thats not hard. 

Its a gamble just stepping out of the house these days, but they’re is so many conflicting new reports that i just use common sense. 

Just now, dave_bass5 said:

Fair enough. I think its a right mess as well. We (the band) take our own gear other than PA. Our singer wears surgical gloves all night, so she is safe using the PA, and we make sure we are keeping our distance from each other. Its a large room so thats not hard. 

Its a gamble just stepping out of the house these days, but they’re is so many conflicting new reports that i just use common sense. 

Confined space with a singer is not safe, two main issue are dispersion (high with a singer) and length of exposure (high with a rehearsal) her gloves might help her, they won't help you. Sorry

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Or a gym, because whilst singers chuck out loads of potentially infected air into a confined space, no-one has ever done that in a gym

Again, Gyms are very safe places and no one works out in confined spaces. Everything is very well spaced out. I was going everyday when mine was opened, and will do again next week. Never saw more than 10 people at a time, and everyone, 100%, was cleaning the equipment before and after use. I kept my eye on them. There have been no reports of any members having COVID as far as i know. We all check in when we visit and ive not had any notifications about a danger. 

Ive never seen anyone in a supermarket cleaning items on the shelves down, and yet people pick things up and put them down again. I dont see any checking in, and i see people not wearing masks. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Confined space with a singer is not safe, two main issue are dispersion (high with a singer) and length of exposure (high with a rehearsal) her gloves might help her, they won't help you. Sorry

If you say so,

Like i said, the rooms are very large. Easily 10ft between everyone. We have been fine and will continue to be. Also me and my singer live together anyways so if she gets it, I’m bound to. She has been having about 2-3 tests a month due to her job. 

4 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Again, Gyms are very safe places and no one works out in confined spaces. Everything is very well spaced out. I was going everyday when mine was opened, and will do again next week. Never saw more than 10 people at a time, and everyone, 100%, was cleaning the equipment before and after use. I kept my eye on them. There have been no reports of any members having COVID as far as i know. We all check in when we visit and ive not had any notifications about a danger.

We'll have to agree to disagree I'm afraid Dave, it's the air that's the main issue, not touching equipment. Stay well

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Beedster said:

We'll have to agree to disagree I'm afraid Dave, it's the air that's the main issue, not touching equipment. Stay well

Yeah, i think thats the best thing to do. Having been going to the gym solidly for almost 3 month’s, and rehearsing for while, all i can say is I’m still safe, and I believe its because those around me are also sensible. 

I will add i haven't, and wouldn’t go to a pub or club, as these seem to be the hotspots. Ive not read anything about the Gyms or studios being so,

The studio we rehearse at is well set up, staggered entry/exit times, masks to be worn by everyone loading in/out, staff all wear masks, only online booking/payment so no banknotes changing hands. Sanitiser in every room, the only part of their equipment any of us would touch is their bass cab when connecting up my amp, same with keyboard player plugging into the PA. It’s probably as safe as most workplaces that are COVID-secure. The only real element of risk is it’s another place being frequented, with yet more people, whereas if staying at home there’s less risk involved, providing family members have followed rules/guidance in their workplaces or shops they visit.

32 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Our rehearsal studio has plastic dividing sheets between each person.

Don’t know whether they’ll be open after lockdown though. 

TBH, I worry more about going round Asda!

Edited by 4000
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I will add i haven't, and wouldn’t go to a pub or club, as these seem to be the hotspots. Ive not read anything about the Gyms or studios being so,

The funny thing is that all the various representative bodies produce different data, those promoting pubs say it's the gyms, gyms say it's the nail salons, nail salons say it's the supermarkets, supermarkets say its the pubs :(

I guess I wish we could all hold off a few more months until the worst passes, because I don't think we're there yet. 

7 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

The studio we rehearse at is well set up, staggered entry/exit times, masks to be worn by everyone loading in/out, staff all wear masks, only online booking/payment so no banknotes changing hands. Sanitiser in every room, the only part of their equipment any of us would touch is their bass cab when connecting up my amp, same with keyboard player plugging into the PA. It’s probably as safe as most workplaces that are COVID-secure. The only real element of risk is it’s another place being frequented, with yet more people, whereas if staying at home there’s less risk involved, providing family members have followed rules/guidance in their workplaces or shops they visit.

talking of risk at the work place, I was chatting to someone who'd had Covid this morning, I asked how she caught it she said" At work the Royal Mail sorting office, a lot of temps at this time of year including students, all inside with no ventilation, loads have had it there" 

I do quite a lot of work in sport, two early studies of Covid transmission suggested up to 10m dispersion for a runner and up to 20m for a cyclist. OK, these athletes are moving so they leave a wake of moving air behind them that makes the problem worse, But a key factor is the intensity of breathing, high oxygen demand produces higher inhalation and expiration rates and volumes. Both gyms and studios with singers are dangerous as the result, the latter more so because singing requires high oxygen demand plus higher rate of expiration than even athletes.

• Like 1