Why become a member? ×

Queen Live At The Rainbow

steantval

2 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

A great gig. I first saw them on this tour, at Southampton. 

If I recall they were supported by a band called Hustler. The following year they were supported by the UK band Mr Big (of Romeo fame). There were a superb band and the guitarist/singer (Dicken) was rushing about the whole time he wasn't singing.

Happy days. Queen were the first band I ever got into, after a mate brought a copy of the "Night at the Opera" LP into school, sometime in 1976. This film got fairly regular showings at our local fleapit, often twinned with "The Wall" or "The Song Remains the Same." It was great to see it on the big screen, in all it's grainy grandeur. 

2 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

If I recall they were supported by a band called Hustler. The following year they were supported by the UK band Mr Big (of Romeo fame). There were a superb band and the guitarist/singer (Dicken) was rushing about the whole time he wasn't singing.

show was filmed 31/3/'74 and they were supported by a Liverpool  band called Nutz who also supported (amongst others) Black Sabbath and they went on to appear at the Reading festival.   The bass player and guitarist are still very active in the Liverpool music scene.  Keith (bass) also played with Garth Rocket and the Moonshiners.

Edited by DaytonaRik

I saw them at the Rainbow in 1974 and they were supported by Hustler, it cost £1 in the stalls.

I really liked Queen from the off, and still do, but the night I saw them, they were not great at all, I thought Hustler were the better band on the night.

Personally, I think it wasn't until after Band Aid that they really started to be a really great "live" band.

• 3 weeks later...