Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Machinist

Kev

1 hour ago, EBS_freak said:

I did write a response to this and thought better of it.

But I will write a summary.

In short, amps are a dying breed, some people haven't caught onto this yet.

The future is modelling. The past is nostalgia. We are currently somewhere in the middle where people still have those romantic images of Cream and Hendrix with Marshall stacks as far as the eye can see and get turned on at the idea of big rigs that make your trousers flap (even though they don't).

Unless BF have a digital division that we don't know about, they are catering more towards nostalgia.. and that's fine. For now, at least.

A maybe again!

Vinyl was nostalgia, The future was mini disc (i personally loved them) CD, MP3 and Vinyl has managed to sneak its way back in. Who knows what is going to happen to venues etc. With what’s going on - maybe we’ll have to play in venues without existing PA’s as they cannot afford to buy them in, and having old fashioned amps and cabs brought in by the bands may become a reality.

I know my amp is difficult to replicate, its been modelled closely, but not enough yet, and if needs be i could use it as a giant pedal without a cab

4 hours ago, Beedster said:

Did you mean to suggest that you haven't played though it Stew?

Oh dear, posting in my tea break not a great plan. Thanks for pointing out the error of my ways.

I have yet to try it, probably won't because I've rather fallen under the spell of another UK pedal manufacturer. But I love Barefaced gear so I genuinely wish them well.

• Like 1

Oh my. I just read back over this thread. I have nothing but sympathy for Alex. The one thing which used to grind my gears above all else when I ran my own business was armchair experts telling me how it should be done and where I was going wrong.

Trust me if you've never been through this it wears you down. Every single person thinks they're being helpful, sharing their 'wisdom' seeing the bigger picture, offering 'constructive criticism' - I heard them all over the years.

But actually for the person on the receiving end of this every single one of them just sounds exactly the same as the last.

Remember the Harry Enfield character? You don't want to do it like that, you want to do it like this...

• Like 16

20 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Oh my. I just read back over this thread. I have nothing but sympathy for Alex. The one thing which used to grind my gears above all else when I ran my own business was armchair experts telling me how it should be done and where I was going wrong.

Trust me if you've never been through this it wears you down. Every single person thinks they're being helpful, sharing their 'wisdom' seeing the bigger picture, offering 'constructive criticism' - I heard them all over the years.

But actually for the person on the receiving end of this every single one of them just sounds exactly the same as the last.

Remember the Harry Enfield character? You don't want to do it like that, you want to do it like this...

Stew, I get your sentiment

But is he doesn't like criticism or comment, perhaps he shouldn't read it then, he can stick to Talkbass. I've supported his gear all along on BC but following this morning's response I reread the emails between the two of us after I cut a chunk out of my finger and it was much the same as today, fired off a very rude response pretty much suggesting it was my fault, then backtracked and tried to get the sympathy vote with stress/family etc. In this morning's comment, he perhaps failed to recognise that most of the people on this thread had at one time or another promoted his products, in my case constantly. I'm sorry Stew, but he's in business, business is a cold hard world. If he doesn't have the temperament for criticism, he should stay off the internet and let someone else do it for him. Alternatively he could learn from the approach of people such as @agedhorse in addressing far more challenging criticism of Mesa Boogie earlier this year, in recognising that the opinions of people matter, whether they are or are not likely to buy the unit in question, and in building a positive emotional response from people, not alienating them. He's now put himself with me emotionally where John Hall put himself with many, all of a sudden I feel less positive about the gear he made that i own. 

30 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Stew, I get your sentiment

But is he doesn't like criticism or comment, perhaps he shouldn't read it then, he can stick to Talkbass. I've supported his gear all along on BC but following this morning's response I reread the emails between the two of us after I cut a chunk out of my finger and it was much the same as today, fired off a very rude response pretty much suggesting it was my fault, then backtracked and tried to get the sympathy vote with stress/family etc. In this morning's comment, he perhaps failed to recognise that most of the people on this thread had at one time or another promoted his products, in my case constantly. I'm sorry Stew, but he's in business, business is a cold hard world. If he doesn't have the temperament for criticism, he should stay off the internet and let someone else do it for him. Alternatively he could learn from the approach of people such as @agedhorse in addressing far more challenging criticism of Mesa Boogie earlier this year, in recognising that the opinions of people matter, whether they are or are not likely to buy the unit in question, and in building a positive emotional response from people, not alienating them. He's now put himself with me emotionally where John Hall put himself with many, all of a sudden I feel less positive about the gear he made that i own. 

As it was my forum he was insulting, I didn't mind one bit and accepted his apology. Mind you, I let things slide and am fairly easy going. It doesn't matter to me one way or another. 

In the meantime you can add them to your list under Eurosender.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

A maybe again!

Vinyl was nostalgia, The future was mini disc (i personally loved them) CD, MP3 and Vinyl has managed to sneak its way back in. Who knows what is going to happen to venues etc. With what’s going on - maybe we’ll have to play in venues without existing PA’s as they cannot afford to buy them in, and having old fashioned amps and cabs brought in by the bands may become a reality.

I know my amp is difficult to replicate, its been modelled closely, but not enough yet, and if needs be i could use it as a giant pedal without a cab

Just out of interest, what is your amp? Is it something that has a very distinctive sound/character?

Just now, EBS_freak said:

Just out of interest, what is your amp? Is it something that has a very distinctive sound/character?

Yeah - we had a little chat a while ago about it.

Tech21 dUg Ultrabass 1000

No longer in production.

The DP3X is mighty fine and catches its essence, as do a lot of the helix patches etc out there - but getting down into the nitty gritty and variability of it - there is nowt that quite replicates it

3 minutes ago, ped said:

As it was my forum he was insulting, I didn't mind one bit and accepted his apology. Mind you, I let things slide and am fairly easy going. It doesn't matter to me one way or another. 

In the meantime you can add them to your list under Eurosender.

He wasn't insulting the forum Ped, he was insulting the people who'd responded to the thread.

And yes, like I'm an ex-Eurosender customer, I will soon be a proud ex-Barefaced owner. Doubt Alex will care one way or the other, and why should he?

Oh that's why, I'm a customer, I spent around £3k with Barefaced over the years, and I guess my selling my Super Twin now is one less he'll sell. To be honest, i should have simply sent back the poorly finished unit they sent me and demanded they fix and put feedback on here. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Beedster said:

He wasn't insulting the forum Ped, he was insulting the people who'd responded to the thread.

And yes, like I'm an ex-Eurosender customer, I will soon be a proud ex-Barefaced owner. Doubt Alex will care one way or the other, and why should he?

Oh that's why, I'm a customer, I spent around £3k with Barefaced over the years, and I guess my selling my Super Twin now is one less he'll sell. To be honest, i should have simply sent back the poorly finished unit they sent me and demanded they fix and put feedback on here. 

Same thing, really. I don’t really get what you’re angry about tbh

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Beedster said:

Chris, I’ve just emailed you about the corner problem. At the time you said that it was “no biggy” and that your finger had pretty much healed - my guess is that it then didn’t heal completely for a while (fingers can be annoying like that, I had to have antibiotics for a tiny finger wound a few years ago) but I didn’t know that that the wound had worsened.

I think I mistakenly offended you by saying that no-one else had had such a problem - what I meant was “we’ve never had a corner come from our supplier with sharp edges on it”, not “you’re doing it wrong”. I said that we often pick our cabs up by the ports and they’re never sharp. When it comes to corner related QC, we check that they’re on straight and square and tidy, we never check them for sharp edges because so far we’ve only come across one sharp edge (on your cab) in 12 years of Barefaced cabs, which is an awful lot of corners. Obviously we handle the corners when fitting them so I’d hope we notice any issues at that point but I can’t recall a case of having to reject a corner because of that.

When a metal corner is stamped it should always have any swarf removed before plating and obviously this one didn’t. I was quite annoyed that you’d been hurt and wanted to send this corner to our supplier to highlight the problem, which is why my last email to you was requesting to send you a replacement corner so you could send us this dangerous one. I didn’t hear anything back after that, not until this thread. If the corner still has the sharp edge I would still like to send it to our supplier, they need to see when their manufacturing process has issues.

Again, sorry that you were hurt and sorry that my response made it worse because I honestly didn’t mean to do so.

Spoiler

1200_3498404.jpg

To be fair, it doesn't look that bad Beedster.

Actually, I'm joking. This is nothing to do with bass cabs. This is when I tried to do up the zip on my gig bag.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is how internet memes start.

Edited by Dad3353
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, alexclaber said:

Again, sorry that you were hurt and sorry that my response made it worse because I honestly didn’t mean to do so.

Alex, that would have been a better first response at the time. 

I don't think this thread has really helped anyone, I won't have any objection if you want this thread hidden (others might however), because I don't want to damage your business, or your's, your employees' or your family's wellbeing.  

2 minutes ago, Beedster said:

I don't want to damage your business, or your's, your employees' or your family's wellbeing.  

Dunno why but I imagine you saying this whilst screwing a silencer onto an unmarked and untraceable pistol 

• Haha 8

1 minute ago, ped said:

Dunno why but I imagine you saying this whilst screwing a silencer onto an unmarked and untraceable pistol 

Well I don't think the turn this thread took is down to me Ped, and I'm guessing given how quickly mods delete post and close threads elsewhere on this forum, you and the mods were happy for it to run? 

8 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Well I don't think the turn this thread took is down to me Ped, and I'm guessing given how quickly mods delete post and close threads elsewhere on this forum, you and the mods were happy for it to run? 

Hey - it's all good. There have been strong views expressed, mostly with a great deal of decorum. BC'ers are passionate about gear, it's who we are. And there are plenty of us who admire, and own, Alex's cabs.

I get Stew's sentiment. But if no dared express a view on whether they were even excited or not about a new product until they had owned it and put it through a lengthy workout, well this might as well be Bass Player Magazine, rather than a fun forum where we can spend far too much time enjoying the company of our fellow BC'ers.

I wish Alex every success with his new pedal venture.

• Like 1

• ped locked and unlocked this topic