Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Machinist

Kev

Well, a lot has certainly been said about the symbols!

Have to say the hieroglyphic knob labels make a lot of sense to me. Whether you’re familiar with the symbols for sawtooth and square waves is irrelevant.

The pedal enclosure couldn’t be more clearly divided into 3 sections so *at most* you’ll only be thinking about 4 knobs at any one time for each. The top row of each drive section is just gain and volume, bottom rows being EQ shaping. Once you know these basic rules of thumb it’s a walk in the park. And I don’t even own the thing.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Something was said at the start about being the upper limit of price, was it a lot? Maybe not, loads was said at the start of the thread! - I agree with you the pricing is about right

Just skimmed. I don't think anybody has complained about the price. Only comments were made is that a 250 fuzz box is not for Stevie and potentially this pedal goes up against stuff like the Helix Stomp. There's a whole argument there saying that it apples vs oranges... but it's a valid challenge. However, I know that the cost of producing small runs of pedals like the machinist for the money that it is, is far from unreasonable.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

That’s a picture of 1 box, some may tack, some may slide - as said earlier they are using off cuts of plywood so I am sure they will make stuff fit

That would make zero sense if you are looking at industrialising your process.

1 hour ago, simon88wilson said:

So in answer to the wooden box question. Yes mine was tacked in the corners. Comes with a little note on the outside of the box covering the lid. You’d have to remove the note to access the box. 

DC5EDAA3-5B5B-411A-8955-3DECB47332BB.thumb.jpeg.ce697b3a24c819673ba1ba94163c4a0a.jpeg

And some tape would be a lot more safe... especially when the instructions are only in English and the product is being marketed worldwide - which wouldn’t necessarily be a problem... if there wasn’t a hazard like having four nails.

1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

But it’s not industrialised - it’s more boutique.

If you have an off cut too small to fit on top the box, does it not make sense to create a groove so it can be used to slide in and therefore minimise waste?

Whether it off cuts or not, if you are messing about with custom boxes (which I don’t think Barefaced are - I suspect they are putting bits of wood that are big enough in their router and pressing the button) you are creating work for yourself and it’s a very bad business practice. As stated earlier, pedals is about shifting units.

If your customer wants custom paint jobs or boxes or whatever that costs you time, they should pay for it!

15 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Whether it off cuts or not, if you are messing about with custom boxes (which I don’t think Barefaced are - I suspect they are putting bits of wood that are big enough in their router and pressing the button) you are creating work for yourself and it’s a very bad business practice. As stated earlier, pedals is about shifting units.

If your customer wants custom paint jobs or boxes or whatever that costs you time, they should pay for it!

This has turned into boxgate now!

Some of the boxes lids seem tacked on, some are slide on.

Its a well made sturdy pedal with sturdy packaging to prevent damage during transport - that’s about it

20 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

This has turned into boxgate now!

Some of the boxes lids seem tacked on, some are slide on.

Its a well made sturdy pedal with sturdy packaging to prevent damage during transport - that’s about it

Have I missed the slide on lid bit?

59 minutes ago, krispn said:

If the lid closure is the deciding factor in getting one or not a sliding lid could be the final nail in the coffin for some. 

Oh dear - it’s a sad day when I actually find this funny, this is pure dad joke territory - I salute you!

Edited by Cuzzie

2 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Lets face it, there are some folks on here that, were they to receive a cheque for a million pounds from Alex, would complain about the signature. 😁  Such is the nature of the internet.

Obviously - why did he not just electronically transfer the money? (Wire can hurt you right?)

Those cheques give nasty paper cuts, don’t get me started if it’s one of those massive ones, plus you’d have to queue to get into the bank to cash it - disaster, I would refuse the money all day long

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

Obviously - why did he not just electronically transfer the money? (Wire can hurt you right?)

Those cheques give nasty paper cuts, don’t get me started if it’s one of those massive ones, plus you’d have to queue to get into the bank to cash it - disaster, I would refuse the money all day long

And then spend the next 5+ years repeatedly passive aggressively telling the internet how you refused the cheque with its high papercut-risk corners? 

• Like 1

Genuine Question... (from an ex-electronics eng)

Why is the Middle On/Of Switch (Fuzz) Lower?

If the unit were to be used on its own, not velcroed to a board, would this not tend to try and flip the box forward... and i would of gone for bezels on the LED...

Good luck with intetest and sales...

I don’t understand why people are defending the box - it’s poor quality manufacturing that could potentially hurt someone. 

Doesn’t matter that no one has been hurt so far. It’s just about taking the, incredibly simple, steps to ensure there aren’t any risks in opening something.

That’s it, nothing complicated about it. Very simple to take some basic standards of care when dealing with your customers  

I remember buying stuff from China years ago that arrived like this but it was a) years ago before a lot of safety measures were standardised and b) they were dirt cheap products made down to a low standard so you had to be prepared to accept poor quality packaging. 

I saw someone said that people would find something to complain about if BF sent them a cheque. 

It seems the exact reverse is true, and to an even great extent. Some people will defend poor quality, potentially dangerous, manufacture even it’s proven to genuinely injure customers and the manufacturer continues to sell products that wouldn’t pass basic health and safety standards. . .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Genuine Question... (from an ex-electronics eng)

Why is the Middle On/Of Switch (Fuzz) Lower?

If the unit were to be used on its own, not velcroed to a board, would this not tend to try and flip the box forward... and i would of gone for bezels on the LED...

Good luck with intetest and sales...

Likely to create a sense of ‘space’ between the switches by staggering them rather than all being in line. Less chance of hitting two on by mistake?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, krispn said:

Likely to create a sense of ‘space’ between the switches by staggering them rather than all being in line. Less chance of hitting two on by mistake?

Exactly this as explained by Alex in the video, staggered to make it easy for single on off, but close enough for most feet to turn both on together in a single push without having to angle your foot to achieve this

• Like 2