Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Machinist

Kev

26 minutes ago, molan said:

I don’t understand why people are defending the box - it’s poor quality manufacturing that could potentially hurt someone. 

Doesn’t matter that no one has been hurt so far. It’s just about taking the, incredibly simple, steps to ensure there aren’t any risks in opening something.

That’s it, nothing complicated about it. Very simple to take some basic standards of care when dealing with your customers  

I remember buying stuff from China years ago that arrived like this but it was a) years ago before a lot of safety measures were standardised and b) they were dirt cheap products made down to a low standard so you had to be prepared to accept poor quality packaging. 

I saw someone said that people would find something to complain about if BF sent them a cheque. 

It seems the exact reverse is true, and to an even great extent. Some people will defend poor quality, potentially dangerous, manufacture even it’s proven to genuinely injure customers and the manufacturer continues to sell products that wouldn’t pass basic health and safety standards. . .

Cheque comment is tongue in cheek and should be read that way.

All i am saying is the box actually isn’t that bad IMHO - there are better and worse box products out there, but it defo ensures it arrives safely with delivery peoples occasional habit of chucking stuff around. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Cheque comment is tongue in cheek and should be read that way.

All i am saying is the box actually isn’t that bad IMHO - there are better and worse box products out there, but it defo ensures it arrives safely with delivery peoples occasional habit of chucking stuff around. 

Don’t worry I took it the same way too :)

I just think there’s a basic ‘duty of care’ in packaging any product. I volunteer for a charity that helps to provide musical participation to disabled children and adults. Some of them are able to play instruments and purchase things from new so I’m particularly attuned to personal safety for everyone. 

In this case the manufacturer knows there’s a chance of harming someone but decided to use it anyway. 

I can’t imagine it would take much time to be sure it’s completely safe for everyone. 

I think it’s a statutory regulation to do this. If I remember rightly, ‘safety’ is the very first thing that’s stipulated in government guidelines. 

• Like 2

I hardly ever comment on BC, but visit most days. It was funny enough people loosing their stinky poo over the pedal, but now the packaging is mental. I thought the box was a nice touch, I guess Alex could have charged more for the pedal and sent it out in a varnished box with hinges 🤣

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, buff said:

I hardly ever comment on BC, but visit most days. It was funny enough people loosing their stinky poo over the pedal, but now the packaging is mental. I thought the box was a nice touch, I guess Alex could have charged more for the pedal and sent it out in a varnished box with hinges 🤣

I swear people read and interpret it in a completely different manner. Nobody lost their stinky poo over the pedal. It was Alex’s input that caused a thread disruption.

The rest has been feedback that has subsequently being read as an attack. I’m sorry but including items such as tacks that the seller has clearly acknowledged could be a hazard would be better if just removed the equation completely?

Just to clarify, nobody in this thread has run down the machinist pedal. There have been comments about its graphic design and layout decisions and a query surrounding the safety of the tacks holding the box together. That’s all. One is question of aesthetics, the other of safety. I think they are both valid discussion points?

Its essentially a COG pedal. Of course it’s going to be good.

It seems like unless anything BF is met with anything but faultless, high praise, the mob are unhappy.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

And some tape would be a lot more safe... especially when the instructions are only in English and the product is being marketed worldwide - which wouldn’t necessarily be a problem... if there wasn’t a hazard like having four nails.

Not a fan of the nails myself either, I would have preferred maybe tied down with a bit of thin rope: easy, secure, safe, and it would look good I think. 

However it wouldn't be a deal breaker if I were interested in what the pedal offers, to be fair.

1 hour ago, EBS_freak said:

I’m sorry but including items such as tacks that the seller has clearly acknowledged could be a hazard would be better if just removed the equation completely?

I just think this point is completely moot, unless you're absolutely not buying this pedal as a result of it coming in a wooden box. It comes with a clear warning about small tacks, so isn't an issue.

The upside is it saves cost, protects the pedal, reduces waste and as an owner, I like the touch.

I've also had other pedals packaged similarly in a wooden box....so this isn't a first.

I guess if you will absolutely buy it if they change the box and the symbols the feedback is warranted. If you're not, then it's not opinion the builder should worry about listening to imo as even if they change to your will there's not a sale there. 

I'd prefer it if this thread started to refocus on the pedal capability tbh......might start a setting thread shortly.✌️

Edited by Salt on your Bass?
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Salt on your Bass? said:

I just think this point is completely moot, unless you're absolutely not buying this pedal as a result of it coming in a wooden box. It comes with a clear warning about small tacks, so isn't an issue.

The upside is it saves cost, protects the pedal, reduces waste and as an owner, I like the touch.

I've also had other pedals packaged similarly in a wooden box....so this isn't a first.

I guess if you will absolutely buy it if they change the box and the symbols the feedback is warranted. If you're not, then it's not opinion the builder should worry about listening to imo as even if they change to your will there's not a sale there. 

I'd prefer it if this thread started to refocus on the pedal capability tbh......might start a setting thread shortly.✌️

So we can only opine if we want to buy, gotcha.

:|

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Salt on your Bass? said:

Again. A point missed.

Indeed, other pedal manufacturers deliver pedals in a wooden box - most notably EHX. Their boxes however, do not include potentially harmful tacks. If somebody has an example of a pedal manufacturer doing similar with tacks please let it be know - as I think they are really shortsighted also.

And as a potential consumer, I don’t have to have bought the thing to have a valid opinion. I don’t even have to be a customer to have an opinion. If that was the case, there would be a lot of professional reviewers out of a job. Just what is it about Barefaced?

If you read back everything in this thread, my comments have been made to help Barefaced. I’ve commented on how the use of icons may not be that clear. I’ve commented on the lack of LED bezels - but appreciate that may not bother some people but that’s my personal preference (and indeed somebody else has commented on that). I’ve commented on the lack of dimensions on the website as that could help people to buy the pedal. I’ve commented on the potential hazard of the tacks which could be easily remedied. I’ve commented on how things should be industrialised - better to spend time shifting boxes than messing about with customisations. I’ve commented on the spelling mistake of an artist on the webpage (which still isn’t fixed).

All of the above are suggestions on how to make product even better. Whether he takes that on board is neither here or there to me.

To be honest, this weird cult and attitude towards people who share opinions that don’t share this faultless view of the business is probably more harmful to the business itself. Wouldn’t it be great if there was a company that took on board what customers and potential customers said so ultimately both the products and customer satisfaction is improved?

Edited by EBS_freak

12 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Again. A point missed.

Indeed, other pedal manufacturers deliver pedals in a wooden box - most notably EHX. Their boxes however, do not include potentially harmful tacks. If somebody has an example of a pedal manufacturer doing similar with tacks please let it be know - as I think they are really shortsighted also.

And as a potential consumer, I don’t have to have bought the thing to have a valid opinion. I don’t even have to be a customer to have an opinion. If that was the case, there would be a lot of professional reviewers out of a job. Just what is it about Barefaced?

If you read back everything in this thread, my comments have been made to help Barefaced. I’ve commented on how the use of icons may not be that clear. I’ve commented on the lack of LED bezels - but appreciate that may not bother some people but that’s my personal preference (and indeed somebody else has commented on that). I’ve commented on the lack of dimensions on the website as that could help people to buy the pedal. I’ve commented on the potential hazard of the tacks which could be easily remedied. I’ve commented on how things should be industrialised - better to spend time shifting boxes than messing about with customisations. I’ve commented on the spelling mistake of an artist on the webpage (which still isn’t fixed).

All of the above are suggestions on how to make product even better. Whether he takes that on board is neither here or there to me.

To be honest, this weird cult and attitude towards people who share opinions that don’t share this faultless view of the business is probably more harmful to the business itself. Wouldn’t it be great if there was a company that took on board what customers and potential customers said so ultimately both the products and customer satisfaction is improved?

I don't know what it is about Barefaced either, but the brand does attract feedback from many where other threads don't (latest darkglass offer, skarbass one etc). I guess it's good that the brand has so much engagement as a result. 

Just to be clear though, just because you have an opinion, it doesn't make it a valid opinion. It remains merely opinion. 

Anyway, See my first post on this thread....I'm absolutely for product feedback, customer feedback for development etc and my initial reception to the pedal wasn't necessarily the warmest.

Some of these thoughts remain, but I am excited about the product and venture, my opinion of the pedal is that the box point is moot, it's a well built piece of kit and has some good (quite possibly amazing) sounds in it.

As a v1, first release I'm really looking forward to understanding it in more detail with my rig, and hopefully sharing some experiences about the sound.

51 minutes ago, mcnach said:

So we can only opine if we want to buy, gotcha.

:|

That's not what I said. 

So the pedal costs around £210 plus tacks. :) 

Well, someone needed to say it so it may as well be me :) 

If you want to talk about dangerous packaging, I have on a couple of occasions cut my finger on those staples that Thomann and other retailers use to keep their large cardboard boxes together before they are taped.  Now THEY are dangerous :)  

• Like 5

So........ I’ve read every post!

We’ve covered design of pedal, graphics and box - benefits of amps or no amps, digital vs analogue, the future and the past, personal issues, and I got offered out for a fight - started training only to find out it was in jest, and TB was slated as those that may look upon there.

Some are for, some are against, smattered amongst the comments are tongue in cheek ones and pointed ones, even positive ones can have perceivable or actual negative vibes to it.

What are we left with............

A bloody good pedal capable of a number of different sounds that’s easy to dial in, but can still be learnt over time to tweak to what is required to match what someone would want. The fuzz can get synth like, the OD does an OD and can be warm and subtle to overt, and clean can be blended into it to retain girth and clarity.

Some will like, some will love, I doubt it can be hated. Level of love will decide whether it replaces existing pedals, people new to dirt/fuzz pedals will get a good pedal to cover ground for them.

There you go.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Paul S said:

So the pedal costs around £210 plus tacks. :) 

Well, someone needed to say it so it may as well be me :) 

If you want to talk about dangerous packaging, I have on a couple of occasions cut my finger on those staples that Thomann and other retailers use to keep their large cardboard boxes together before they are taped.  Now THEY are dangerous :)  

I left that for you!

• Haha 1

I am as guilty as anyone, but I reckon guys/gals it is time to seriously bury most of the stuff.

Let’s see what this unit does, what people like and don’t like of its sonic performance and intuitiveness and interaction with other bits of equipment and any instruments.

We can also see if a V2 ones out and then compare whenever that is.

I just put my tree up - time for a bit of xmas cheer!

• Like 1

I had a band practice last night and managed to put it through it’s paces a bit.
I play in a stoner rock band and use it with quite a lot of gain. I was running it with a G&L SB-2 into an Ampeg SVT-CL. The high output of the MFD pickup wasn’t an issue for the pedal. 

The distortion I’ve got set up to where I want it and it is wonderful. Cuts through without impeding, I keep the clean blend on at all times. 

I still need to tweak the fuzz side a little bit but it’s in the ball park. I think I need to bump the middle a bit but it sounds very thick and muff like. 

The two together work well and really create a good mix. 

The only downside I have found is I am struggling to press individual buttons on the fly,  mostly down to how close it is to the next pedal in my board. Some of it will be me getting used to the proximity of each switch but had a few times where I didn’t turn it on. The main struggle is the right switch as its close to my wah pedal. Damn these size 11 feet! I’m going to see if putting some switch toppers on it helps me with this but I may need to just be a bit more precise with my feet of give the pedal a bit more room. 

Edited by simon88wilson
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I think going into pedals is a great idea, box packaging is cool but yes probably needs to be standardised with more safety. 

Price is reasonable. Good pedal designer. 

However the demos just make it sound thin and to me like every other bass attempt at fuzz and drive. Think that needs addressing when it's competing against a lot of pedals and indeed some fully digital ones that sound absolutely amazing. 

1 hour ago, Musicman20 said:

However the demos just make it sound thin and to me like every other bass attempt at fuzz and drive. Think that needs addressing when it's competing against a lot of pedals and indeed some fully digital ones that sound absolutely amazing. 

Could be down to the recording- the clean blend is there to alleviate that maybe?

6 hours ago, simon88wilson said:

I’m going to see if putting some switch toppers on it helps me with this

Let me know how you get on please. I'm a comparatively dainty size 9 but was struggling to land on a couple of switches at rehearsal. I wondered if these toppers might help.