Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Machinist

Kev

2 hours ago, Salt on your Bass? said:

Landed today! Nice box and well presented.

I've only had 15 mins with it at lowish volumes with a clean amp (streamliner). 

Obviously need to test this in a band context at volume with my main amp, because dirt never the same at home, but my first impression is really solid. A really nice spread of tonal flavour on both the distortion and fuzz sides and engaging both delivers a fatter slab of them both. 

I'll tinker with it more over time of course, but wondered if anyone elses had landed, and thought I'd throw a couple of pics up (sorry for the mess...rebuilding my board)✌️

DSC_0517.thumb.JPG.6b7b8e293298aa58e83bdad764c87fd0.JPG

DSC_0516.thumb.JPG.8cc1f140d1d4e4b9dfe12f6cb3882754.JPG

DSC_0515.JPG

Must resist.... My finger is hovering over the basket. Need to wait for more reviews to come 1st I think. Have you played many cog pedals to make any comparisons?

Edited by danbowskill
  • Like 1

Mine arrived today too. I have only managed to play it through my practice set up with headphones. 

first thoughts are that it’s great. I could get easily great sounds out of both sides and they work well together.

I think it will end up overtaking my cog as my go to pedal. I can’t make a full decision until I hear it with the whole band, I have a practice this week so will update then. 

4EE7F8D1-D603-4447-B226-DE44167ACDC2.thumb.jpeg.32d26a86e90905476dd4fa04760c701c.jpeg

B44702B2-71C4-46A8-ABBE-1E75546AE4D4.thumb.jpeg.c10391291273b6e7a80e37a8d54be189.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, danbowskill said:

Must resist.... My finger is hovering over the basket. Need to wait for more reviews to come 1st I think. Have you played many cog pedals to make any comparisons?

I've played the tarkin, the R1 and the mini 66. They were with another amp though before I'd settled into this and it was a couple of years ago, so I'm probably not well placed to comment I'm afraid. 

@simon88wilson I'm sure will though ✌️

Yeah I currently have a Tarkin 66 which is a grand Tarkin and knightfall 66 ina single enclosure. I’ll need to do a direct comparison when I get a chance to run them side by side but a few things I’ve already noticed. 

I like the fact the barefaced machinist can run both together. I can’t do that with my cog it’s either fuzz or distortion. 

It seemed easier for me to dial in the distortion to a setting I liked compared to the knightfall. I may have just fluked it thought ha!

the only down side I can find so far is I prefer the top mounted jacks on the cog. 

2 hours ago, simon88wilson said:

Mine arrived today too. I have only managed to play it through my practice set up with headphones. 

first thoughts are that it’s great. I could get easily great sounds out of both sides and they work well together.

I think it will end up overtaking my cog as my go to pedal. I can’t make a full decision until I hear it with the whole band, I have a practice this week so will update then. 

4EE7F8D1-D603-4447-B226-DE44167ACDC2.thumb.jpeg.32d26a86e90905476dd4fa04760c701c.jpeg

B44702B2-71C4-46A8-ABBE-1E75546AE4D4.thumb.jpeg.c10391291273b6e7a80e37a8d54be189.jpeg

Is the box nailed shut?

1 hour ago, Billy Apple said:

I thought it you had to prize it open with a spare corner piece

Indeed, I can't see anything that resembles a slide on lid. All Im seeing is a lid with some nail heads visible... and some holes in the lower part of the box where those nails would seemingly historically sat...? (Bottom right looked like the nail missed the bottom box?)

Edited by EBS_freak

I know a lot has been said about the price -  but let’s break it down.

For a decent Fuzz pedal - you would pay about £100 new

For a decent OD pedal - you would pay about £100 new

You may want something to help a clean blend

Boss LS2 is £80 new

When you think of it like that and actually it’s more interactive being in one unit - it’s not that bad surely?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Indeed, I can't see anything that resembles a slide on lid. All Im seeing is a lid with some nail heads visible... and some holes in the lower part of the box where those nails would seemingly historically sat...? (Bottom right looked like the nail missed the bottom box?)

The lid can be a slide in - there may be differences between boxes

Edited by Cuzzie

4 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

I know a lot has been said about the price -  but let’s break it down.

For a decent Fuzz pedal - you would pay about £100 new

For a decent OD pedal - you would pay about £100 new

You may want something to help a clean blend

Boss LS2 is £80 new

When you think of it like that and actually it’s more interactive being in one unit - it’s not that bad surely?

Has there been a lot said about the price? I'd say the pricing for this is about right for the functions that it has and it's "boutique" element? (Although the box is a little questionable to me... and the inclusion of nails is just bat stinky poo crazy from a safety point of view)

1 minute ago, EBS_freak said:

Has there been a lot said about the price? I'd say the pricing for this is about right for the functions that it has and it's "boutique" element? (Although the box is a little questionable to me... and the inclusion of nails is just bat stinky poo crazy from a safety point of view)

Something was said at the start about being the upper limit of price, was it a lot? Maybe not, loads was said at the start of the thread! - I agree with you the pricing is about right