Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Machinist

Kev

18 minutes ago, cetera said:

I think it was the bit where harsh words were offered, but really it was a cover up of your loving feelings..... you know, like teasing the girl at school you actually fancy.... ;)

3 minutes ago, Billy Apple said:

Teasing? Farting in her face more like

Wasn't meant to be either really, but c'est la vie.

I have to agree with Luke's point above that the description Alex has provided here today was way more useful to me than the marketing email I received, and I suspect the origins of this thread would have been slightly more constructive had the possibilities of the box been better outlined :)

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

It is amazing how some folk read things in different ways, and it’s not a diss by any stretch, but I got something more like Alex wrote on here from the online description as opposed to just being heavy distortion/fuzz

The marketing blurb on the BF website didn't lead me down the road where you would immediately think the Jamerson sound, or the Larry Graham or Ben Folds thing. I thought it was very heavy rock centric in it's writeup - almost a RATM signature bass pedal given the constant references and name dropping.

Even the other names mentioned (even the one that is spelled wrong), would all lead you to think that its targeted at that heavier style of music.

Edited by EBS_freak

Obviously I’ll have to rewrite that blurb because of how people are assuming it’s just a pedal for going heavy heavy but on the site I do twice mention “subtle overdrive” and also that the distortion channel can go “almost totally clean”.

I should probably correct the latter to “totally clean if your bass isn’t too hot and you don’t pluck so hard” because my main basses are all LOUD and my right hand is quite heavy.

The joy of pedals rather than cabs is that you can listen to far more useful sound clips. So I’ll get back to that now...

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Alex you could do far worse than using your own description or some tweaked variation of it:

"because you're thinking this is a fuzz pedal - you can get a Jamerson Motown sound from the overdrive section, or Roger Glover with Deep Purple, or Geezer in Sabbath, or Krist in Nirvana, etc etc.

And the fuzz pedal can do all the worlds of fuzz, like the synth thing, or the Larry Graham double-tracked thing, or the Ben Folds Five thing, or Geezer again, etc etc."

Nothing like making reference to the sound of real world bass players to make the potential of a piece of kit come alive!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, alexclaber said:

Obviously I’ll have to rewrite that blurb because of how people are assuming it’s just a pedal for going heavy heavy but on the site I do twice mention “subtle overdrive” and also that the distortion channel can go “almost totally clean”.

I should probably correct the latter to “totally clean if your bass isn’t too hot and you don’t pluck so hard” because my main basses are all LOUD and my right hand is quite heavy.

The joy of pedals rather than cabs is that you can listen to far more useful sound clips. So I’ll get back to that now...

I don't want to be a smartass but words can never really properly describe any dirtbox now can they...
Would LOVE to hear some of its possible tones with both passive and active basses. Are there any clips available anywhere yet?

Edited by DiMarco
Typo

3 minutes ago, DiMarco said:

I don't want to be a smartass but words can never really properly describe any dirtbox now can they...
Would LOVE to hear some of its possible tones with both passive and active basses. Are there any clips available anywhere yet?

chunk systems do a great job IMHO

image.png.10c17af84c921d15b88e1ca591c0fbef.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alexclaber said:

I think wee sound/video clips would be good. 
There's the "what can this do" full feature set Alex-Claber-geekout stuff, which is what the technological able lot will want... but there's also the "if you want this sound look this is how I do it" - and just show that warm Motown OD sound, and then Rodger Glover etc. - the I-don't-want-to-have-to-think-about-this baseline setting thing. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

It took me ages to work out how to interpret those controls. Luckily, I managed to find an illustrated guide.

335132347_ModeSelect.png.265891a9796eecfb50b9f26df6b77b19.png

I've never been an 'ANGRY JAZZ' player, but my tone could probably use a little more 'SUSAN!'.

On the right, the distortion channel:
gain (triangle wave) to go from subtle overdrive to roaring distortion.
Two band bass and treble EQ (shelving curves)

Level (triangle)

virtual true bypass switch to activate, with the red LED showing it’s on.

In the middle, the fuzz channel:
 fuzz (square wave) to get more and more fuzztastic.
Tilt (split scoop shape) left for thunder, right for fizz.

Mid boost (hump shape) at zero for maximum muff, or go clockwise for added punch and snarl.

Volume (triangle) and stomp as required, lighting the red LED.

Finally, on the left, the clean channel:

Level (sine wave). Roll off the highs and mids with the tone knob (low pass filter).

This footswitch works differently to the other two. If neither fuzz or distortion is on, stomping the clean FS just lights the LED and means that you’ll have this low pass filtered clean sound running in parallel when you click on either dirty sound. If either dirty sound is already on then clicking the clean channel will add the filtered clean to the dirt - or take it away if it was already active.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

oh btw, hi talkbass viewers 👋, thanks for the link up.

Oh shot. They found where we live?!?!?!

Edit* just read the tb thread. 

Only 4 pages. And no controversy at all. Im staying right here la(ds/ss's) don't you worry!

Edited by GisserD