Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Machinist

Kev

Having played a few Cog pedals they're great and Alex has chosen both wisely and shrewdly in who to collaborate with. I don't even really like fuzz that much myself and I think they're brilliant.

In truth, I don't like the symbols on this pedal. The Orange bass butler is another culprit. In fact anything by Orange is. Labels for the controls please, not weird squiggles. I'm not wanting to learn ancient Egyptian just to figure out how to work a pedal.

That being said, I'm sure it'll be good. Whether it'll be massively successful remains to be seen.

• Like 3

Where this fuzz pedal could have stolen a march would have been with the addition of a gated element available to dial in. Unless I've not spotted, that's an opportunity missed.

I think it was @EBS_freak who gave us a really good overview earlier in this thread of the direction of travel of pedal tech and it's unambiguously towards to digital and modelling. At £249, this isn't just going into bat against just about every dirt pedal out there, but also into used Helix territory which has a ton of dirt / drive / fuzz options. 

And for all the nearly 200 posts on this thread I've not seen anyone actually reaching for their wallet to get this, which is a telling contrast compared to the launch of Helix HX Effects and Stomp. At the end of the day for all the words that are spilled by us and others, that's going to be key proof of the pudding. We've seen it before as other brands have sought to stray from what they are "famous for" and do really well. Alex makes some of the best cabs on the planet. The dirt pedal market is a massively crowded one.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Where this fuzz pedal could have stolen a march would have been with the addition of a gated element available to dial in. Unless I've not spotted, that's an opportunity missed.

I think it was @EBS_freak who gave us a really good overview earlier in this thread of the direction of travel of pedal tech and it's unambiguously towards to digital and modelling. At £249, this isn't just going into bat against just about every dirt pedal out there, but also into used Helix territory which has a ton of dirt / drive / fuzz options. 

And for all the nearly 200 posts on this thread I've not seen anyone actually reaching for their wallet to get this, which is a telling contrast compared to the launch of Helix HX Effects and Stomp. At the end of the day for all the words that are spilled by us and others, that's going to be key proof of the pudding. We've seen it before as other brands have sought to stray from what they are "famous for" and do really well. Alex makes some of the best cabs on the planet. The dirt pedal market is a massively crowded one.

Timmy C, Timmy C, Timmy C.

Now go buy!

Seriously though, there’s still a lot of people in the analogue game when it comes to pedals. Whether they are just collectors or looking for that one unique sound that nobody has.

Pedals will be ok as long as they offer something that the digital units currently can’t. And in some cases, that may even just be a funky, unique box!

5 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Timmy C, Timmy C, Timmy C.

Now go buy!

Seriously though, there’s still a lot of people in the analogue game when it comes to pedals. Whether they are just collectors or looking for that one unique sound that nobody has.

Pedals will be ok as long as they offer something that the digital units currently can’t. And in some cases, that may even just be a funky, unique box!

Agreed - in some ways the better digital gets, the more entrenched and fanatic the analogue brigade get! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ped said:

Agreed - in some ways the better digital gets, the more entrenched and fanatic the analogue brigade get! 

Similar to the CD/mp3 vs Vinyl argument I guess. (As already mentioned on this thread IIRC!)

I am certainly not against modelling etc but for my basic needs I just don't need it, a basic pedalboard and amp/cab set up works. That may all change as the live music scene re-finds its feet and I decide I'm too old and stinky poo to keep doing half of what I do, but even then I'm not sure I'll ever go fully digital. We'll see. I can certainly see its benefits!

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Thats because people spent too much time lambasting and throwing shots about what i should have had etc. 

@Al Krow you say it is pitted against the stomp, but you yourself are not a fan of most PC editors, even on board pedal editors, so surely (and it doesn’t mean you should get one) you are a target audience for this?

As @EBS_freak said everyone is allowed an opinion, but then in the next breath said that most people giving the opinion are deaf or in a honeymoon period, so should the opinions be listened too?

Some people move in silence and don’t need to declare the pedal has been bought or not bought.

The pedal will be good, of that there is little doubt, it has 2 quality teams behind it - i think we can all confidently say that - only Alex knows how many units need to be shifted to make it a ‘success’, so we will see.

Edited by Cuzzie
  • Like 1

An opinion is just that. It doesn’t have to be right or wrong. Likewise, it doesn’t have to be listened to.

If I had acted upon the advice of some of the people on here, I would have been very disappointed in my purchases! I have an (undisclosed) list of people’s opinions that I trust.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ped said:

My tuppence re: digital vs analog is that until my understanding of patches and menus, etc gets a serious upgrade, then I've no choice but to stick with analog. And I totally accept that I am the weak link in this chain. I'd actually love to get into the digital side of things, but sadly my Luddite brain can't get there yet. Even the Tech21 Programmable BDDI fried my brain when the lights started flashing because the actual knob position didn't reflect where the pot position had been saved. Think I still have some sort of PTSD with that.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

An opinion is just that. It doesn’t have to be right or wrong. Likewise, it doesn’t have to be listened to.

If I had acted upon the advice of some of the people on here, I would have been very disappointed in my purchases! I have an (undisclosed) list of people’s opinions that I trust.

I reckon i am on Santa’s naughty list

• Sad 1

more seriously- I imagine there's a part of this pedal which is @alexclaber coming up with something cool with a mate and wanting to release it - just cos it's cool and exciting for him. If they are made to order then there's no real biggie if they don't sell crazy well - worst happens is nobody buys them and he just ends up designing his own pedal for himself... 

Cos it's fun and interesting is a reason people do things sometimes - I guess at some point Crazy Kiwi and 
Ped thought it would be fun to start a forum to chat about bass in the uk... 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Cos it's fun and interesting is a reason people do things sometimes - I guess at some point Crazy Kiwi and Ped thought it would be fun to start a forum to chat about bass in the uk... 

Absolutely. I've built two fuzz pedals this year. I never use fuzz. :lol: But it was fun..!

• Like 2

Not that it's hugely relevant to the wider discussion - but personally I have no issues with PC editing multifxs, as the pay-off in terms of time invested can be large, as a decent multifx can cover off a heck of a lot of the pedal board and do it very well. The Helix HX Effects offers me a plethora of dirt and fuzz options.

My particular "luddite" issue is having to PC edit every tom, Richard dic* and harry individual pedal, particularly those that don't have a decent visual user-interface display, and for that reason I took the decision to move on my Source Audio pedals. I totally appreciate where @Gareth Hughes is coming from too - we all have our different "luddite bars". And some of us don't use pedals at all in the mix and just go bass --> amp & cab and yet somehow still manage to have happy band mates and audiences! 😁

Edited by Al Krow
Not going to be beaten by a computer censor prog - haha!
  • Like 1