Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Machinist

Kev

14 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Well I don't think the turn this thread took is down to me Ped, and I'm guessing given how quickly mods delete post and close threads elsewhere on this forum, you and the mods were happy for it to run? 

I didn't say it was, but now I think about it I think your initial post was a bit ott and it’s got a bit out of hand since, dragging up other issues and so forth. But I don’t see any reason to close it, I think people can read it and make up their own minds. 

If someone mentions Brexit, it’s gone. 

8 hours ago, Rich said:

From little acorns, and all that. If they're going to dip a toe into the waters of stuff-other-than-cabs, better to start small. Jumping in feet first with an expensive tube amp, with all the R&D and prototyping costs involved, could have been financial suicide. I think it's a smart first move.

You're right of course.  It's just that I've had correspondance with Alex for a few years now about a Barefaced amp so there should be one in the pipeline.

Frank.

6 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Alex, that would have been a better first response at the time. 

I don't think this thread has really helped anyone, I won't have any objection if you want this thread hidden (others might however), because I don't want to damage your business, or your's, your employees' or your family's wellbeing.  

Thank you. It’s probably best to leave it as it is, it’s more honest.

I think a lot of people have a very different idea of Barefaced to what it actually is. For better or worse, I’m not really financially driven, I just want to make the best possible products in the way that I believe is right. I want to make things that people use for years and years and years, I don’t want to make things that are at all disposable. From a business perceptive I am horribly cursed by a desire to not screw up this planet any more than possible - I know making speakers (the actual drivers, especially the magnets) is not environmentally friendly so I want those speakers to be really valued items that people cherish and thar even outlast me. And I also strongly believe in trying to manufacture here, creating jobs where you get to use your hands, not just poke at a computer.

So because of those decisions, everything we make costs a hell of a lot to make. Everything we design takes a really long time to design (I can’t tell you how long we’ve spent on the amp so far...) We operate from an almost comically tiny factory and no-one here, me included, makes much money. Thankfully I’m not a big spender, my wife is very frugal and you can get an awful lot of things free (hurrah for sharing/freecycle groups) or cheap secondhand, and the children don’t seem to mind (yet). Last year I bought a new car because the front wheel snapped off the 15 year old one as the suspension had rusted through - and I really like cars. Well, I say new, it’s almost five years old but that’s new to me!

I need to do an official announcement updating customers etc on what Barefaced is up to, but with the massive fall in orders due to the lack of live music, I now have half as many staff as in March, and the staff who are still here are only part-time and mostly furloughed. It’s really hard. I know it’s even worse for all the pro musicians who’ve lost their entire income, the events companies, the list goes on. And of course those who’ve been seriously ill, or had close friends or relatives suffer, or even die from this.

I don’t know where I’m rambling with this but I guess I’m trying to say that I’m not sitting in some ivory tower making fancy products, I’m just trying to do something I believe in and earn enough to live. And because margins are fine and right now turnover is much lower than normal, I’m spread very thin trying to wear too many hats so that I can pay the rent and my mortgage and payroll and feed my family and not have to lay off more staff.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, ped said:

I was talking about the bit where you said it’s the most outrageous reply you’ve ever read ever ever ever or something. 

So OTT opinion is on the internet is now problem? You can kiss your forum goodbye if that's the case Ped :(

And yes, perhaps it was OTT, but because I read Alex's response in the context of previous history as a customer. C'est la vie.  As I said, can't have been that bad as plenty of mods have been watching this all day, so you were clearly happy that forum rules were being observed?  

1 minute ago, Beedster said:

So OTT opinion is on the internet is now problem? You can kiss your forum goodbye if that's the case Ped :(

And yes, perhaps it was OTT, but because I read Alex's response in the context of previous history as a customer. C'est la vie.  As I said, can't have been that bad as plenty of mods have been watching this all day, so you were clearly happy that forum rules were being observed?  

Yeah, fine - can’t think of any rule you might imagine you’re potentially infringing?

• ped locked this topic
  • ped unlocked this topic

In the course of time, I'm hoping that Alex will produce an amp that has top quality components, is repairable at component level, (or at least not having to replace half the amp at similar cost to buying another amp!), is well built, sounds good but not with overly complicated controls - just all you need and nothing you don't.  (A matter of opinion, I know.)  And solid state - no valves.

My Thunderfunk is along the lines of what I'm thinking, or maybe PJB.  My Quilter seems well designed too, with quality components.

But to me, the selling point would be quality, in design, build and materials.

I love what Alex is doing.  I was one of his first customers for the original Compact and now use a BB2, Super Midget and a pair of one10s.  I'd love to complete the set with a Barefaced amp. :)

Frank.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

This thread went weird 🤣

Yes, yes it did. An off hand, ill timed/ill reasoned comment, followed by a kick back and we were off to the races. Welcome to the internet 😂.

57 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

So... this here pedal then...

Back on topic, good man.

I would’ve liked to have seen something you could pair directly with BF cabs, perhaps a pedal pre with an additional power amp if wanted/needed, but baby steps may be the smart, business way to go.

• Like 1