Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Machinist

Kev

6 minutes ago, krispn said:

Hey @alexclaber looks like you’ve had a stinker of a day but you’ve inspired a new thread idea. 

I was thinking about a thread where people post openly and honestly about times they had a really bad day and said/did something which in hindsight appears a bit misguided. I dunno maybe you slapped the missus, slept with a work colleague or built a bass effect pedal and didn’t put words on it? 

Going by some posts on this thread there appears to be loads of folk who love to have their say and I’m confident they’ll all get the ball rolling with some proper cathartic sharing, no holes barred so we can endow some righteous outrage/judgement at their antics! I’ve got a few great symbols lined up to reply to the ones I really like! 

just change the title of this thread. easier

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, mcnach said:

You're probably right, but reading the 'history' about this pedal was quite interesting and it makes sense to me how it came about. Barefaced + COG doing something together, made in the UK etc especially in these difficult times... is something to applaud, I feel. The product won't be for everyone (is anything ever?) but would it be better if they hadn't bothered at all? I don't think so.

Yeah I'm not doubting that, just that previous hints at an amp head in development coupled with teaser photos showing a volume knob on a brushed chrome surface will have got people excited about the release of an amp. Kind of an unintentional bait and switch, we'd all rather have a new amp than a pedal right?

9 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

Yeah I'm not doubting that, just that previous hints at an amp head in development coupled with teaser photos showing a volume knob on a brushed chrome surface will have got people excited about the release of an amp. Kind of an unintentional bait and switch, we'd all rather have a new amp than a pedal right?

I'm not sure about that. Amps tend to be a bit of a bigger financial outlay.

1 minute ago, EBS_freak said:

But all bassists need amps, tend to own more than one, and tend to switch between them more than is needed, i.e., by novelty and choice not necessity. I might be in the minority but I don't know many bass players who use small pedals these days, many have moved to products like Helix etc. I think with BF brand association, an amp would have made more sense. Time will tell. 

16 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

Not sure... a pedal would indent my financial reserves a lot less than an amp. Fewer temptations are a winner for me ;) 😛

You have to ask the questions:

How many would have gone out and gotten it if it was an amp released and bitten the bullet?

How many who would have bitten the bullet bought the pedal have changed their minds based on the graphics and lack of DI amongst the other things mentioned?

How many people will throw in thoughts on what they thought the pedal should do/look like and never had an intention of getting it or anything like it anyway and use that as an excuse for not getting it?

How many people would change their view based on any clips coming out from BF/COG or based on a BCer who may get one and give their thoughts, and does it matter which member does that in weighting the review/opinion?

If it suddenly appears on Tim C or Dusty Hills board, does that make a difference?

This will evidently go in roundabouts

What’s the conclusion?

A manufacturer has the balls to release a new product to their line which is core to their values, and yes there are distortion and fuzz pedals out there, but so what, this may just be a stellar one.

Some will like, some will say it’s so so, some may not like at all.

Good luck to the maker and those that may or may not get it 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Beedster said:

But all bassists need amps, tend to own more than one, and tend to switch between them more than is needed, i.e., by novelty and choice not necessity. I might be in the minority but I don't know many bass players who use small pedals these days, many have moved to products like Helix etc. I think with BF brand association, an amp would have made more sense. Time will tell. 

But the brand does Bass cabs, guitar cabs, Powered FRFR cabs - technically this serves all masters as it can be used on bass, guitar, synth according to its written profile - it surely makes more sense

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Regardless of cost I think people were pretty excited about the BF amp so I can see why they are disappointed. I'm not bothered either way as I won't be buying either.

Besides, I own 1 amp and 1 pedal, the amp was £90 and the pedal was £230!

Edited by lemmywinks

1 minute ago, Cuzzie said:

But the brand does Bass cabs, guitar cabs, Powered FRFR cabs - technically this serves all masters as it can be used on bass, guitar, synth according to its written profile - it surely makes more sense

I don't disagree with the logic, but buying isn't a logical thing :)

1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

You have to ask the questions:

How many would have gone out and gotten it if it was an amp released and bitten the bullet?

How many who would have bitten the bullet bought the pedal have changed their minds based on the graphics and lack of DI amongst the other things mentioned?

How many people will throw in thoughts on what they thought the pedal should do/look like and never had an intention of getting it or anything like it anyway and use that as an excuse for not getting it?

How many people would change their view based on any clips coming out from BF/COG or based on a BCer who may get one and give their thoughts, and does it matter which member does that in weighting the review/opinion?

If it suddenly appears on Tim C or Dusty Hills board, does that make a difference?

This will evidently go in roundabouts

What’s the conclusion?

A manufacturer has the balls to release a new product to their line which is core to their values, and yes there are distortion and fuzz pedals out there, but so what, this may just be a stellar one.

Some will like, some will say it’s so so, some may not like at all.

Good luck to the maker and those that may or may not get it 

I know most of it's rhetorical - but I'll have a stab -

At the moment, not a lot. Unless it's was a cheap combo or practice amp for use at home. I'm sure there's a lot of people that are wondering whether they'll ever gig again. There's a lot of re-evaluation going on for a lot of people, especially if there's a lot of money tied up in gear that doesn't look like it will be used in the foreseeable.

If it was an amp, it's impossible to say what would have happened - a lot of people would buy off the specs. There's no specs, there's no amp. It's a pointless question really - but I will nail my colours to the mast... given the pandemic, if there was an amp for sale, I would guess the sales figures would be impacted way, way more right now, than a pedal, which can be used at gigs, at home, rehearsals (if allowed) and recording sessions... oh and they are a lot cheaper than amp is likely to be.

ZVex made alterations to their SHO because they failed to take into account, theres a whole load of church players in the states that liked the pedal, but felt it was inappropriate to have Super Hard On written on it. I guess there will be all sort of people offended by that kinda thing. That promptly had a change of heart and relabelled it the SHO. Of course, you could have taped over it... but why would you want to do that when you've bought a pedal at a premium? Design is a very important - and often overlooked element of a product. There's always the camp that don't care, it's functional, it works, it does what they want it to... but they are also the people that don't care having their car doors dinged at the supermarket. If you are investing in a product, there's a certain element of visual appeal that in many cases, takes place. I hate the look of the Fiat Multipla. It could be the best car in the world... but I hate looking at it. Would I care if I hated looking at an FX pedal? Probably not... but if there were two otherwise identical sounding units, I'd take the one that visually appeals to me. The DI element - well, that's a fundamental requirement to some. If it doesn't offer it and you want it, look elsewhere, or go begging for a v2 and hope for the best. I am guessing that this product has been produced to be the minimum viable product that has enough appeal to sell over competitor products. Adding DI would be an added expense that the vast majority of people would not have used. Is this a preamp? Or a magical fuzz, grind, clean whatever box. If you want a pre, get a pre with a DI. If you want a whatever box, consider this.

If you are never ever going to own a Ferrari, does that mean you can't have an opinion on what you would have liked to see on it or comment on what you don't like about it? It all forms part of the market research and is a valid input. A Ferrari has to have curbside appeal so that those that don't own it, aspire to own it.

Not me. No offense, most of you guys are deaf or are prone to honeymoon periods. I'd like to see reviews just to see if I agree or disagree with the points of views displayed in said videos... and get more informed about what's out there.

Hell no, there's only two people in the bass playing world that prompt people to buy gear. That's Mark King and Marcus Miller. And the people buying that gear tend to be those in jobs outside of music. What people play and the whole endorsement thing is a complete nonsense.

What’s the conclusion?

We are on a forum where people share views and opinions. Sometimes in keeping with others views, sometimes not. What's the problem with that? Does it really matter if anybody buys this or not? Maybe to Alex. Not to the rest of us. But if we disclose information about what's good or what's bad, it will drive improvement... and when it comes to Barefaced, people seem to have issue whenever something is said that doesn't go with the grain, whatever that may or may not be.

So I think we are on the same page. Maybe?

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

Regardless of cost I think people were pretty excited about the BF amp so I can see why they are disappointed. I'm not bothered either way as I won't be buying either.

Besides, I own 1 amp and 1 pedal, the amp was £90 and the pedal was £230!

Just cos they got excited, doesn't mean that it would make financial sense for Alex to launch it. Especially right now. Knowing Barefaced prices, the amp is not going to be a low ticket item...

Go on, I'm intrigued. What's your amp and pedal? Used on the amp I am guessing? Or maybe a teeny practice effort?

Edited by EBS_freak

36 minutes ago, Beedster said:

I did write a response to this and thought better of it.

But I will write a summary.

In short, amps are a dying breed, some people haven't caught onto this yet.

The future is modelling. The past is nostalgia. We are currently somewhere in the middle where people still have those romantic images of Cream and Hendrix with Marshall stacks as far as the eye can see and get turned on at the idea of big rigs that make your trousers flap (even though they don't).

Unless BF have a digital division that we don't know about, they are catering more towards nostalgia.. and that's fine. For now, at least.

19 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Just cos they got excited, doesn't mean that it would make financial sense for Alex to launch it. Especially right now. Knowing Barefaced prices, the amp is going to be a low ticket item...

Go on, I'm intrigued. What's your amp and pedal? Used on the amp I am guessing? Or maybe a teeny practice effort?

The pedal is for live use, the Fishman Platinum Pro which was £230 when I bought it years ago. The amp head is a TC BH250 and is just for playing at home through a little EA 110 cab, picked it up with the 3 switch pedal for £120 and sold the pedal for £30. Even new the amp is cheaper at £185 and the BQ version even more so at £155.

Edited by lemmywinks

3 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

I did write a response to this and thought better of it.

But I will write a summary.

In short, amps are a dying breed, some people haven't caught onto this yet.

The future is modelling. The past is nostalgia. We are currently somewhere in the middle where people still have those romantic images of Cream and Hendrix with Marshall stacks as far as the eye can see and get turned on at the idea of big rigs that make your trousers flap (even though they don't).

Unless BF have a digital division that we don't know about, they are catering more towards nostalgia.. and that's fine. For now, at least.

I think you're probably right

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

I get what you are saying. We all need to buy more pedals.

I remember the day when I had about 200 of them that I had collected over 35 years of playing. I miss them.

36 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

...What’s the conclusion?

We are on a forum where people share views and opinions. Sometimes in keeping with others views, sometimes not. What's the problem with that? Does it really matter if anybody buys this or not? Maybe to Alex. Not to the rest of us. But if we disclose information about what's good or what's bad, it will drive improvement... and when it comes to Barefaced, people seem to have issue whenever something is said that doesn't go with the grain, whatever that may or may not be.

That's worth a "like" just for the time, thought and effort that went into writing that post!

Although having said that, I normally find such lengthy posts to be mostly baloney balderdash. But not that one.

Just read through the Talkbass thread.

"They had me at Tim Commerford".

Got to love Talkbass. Tim Commerford, according to the text on the BF site, hasn't got one, hasn't used it, maybe is not even aware of it.

But yeah, "they had me at Tim Commerford"

Morons.

As you can see, my comment about endorsements still stands.

Edited by EBS_freak

7 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Just read through the Talkbass thread.

"They had me at Tim Commerford".

Got to love Talkbass. Tim Commerford, according to the text on the BF site, hasn't got one, hasn't used it, maybe is not even aware of it.

But yeah, "they had me at Tim Commerford"

Morons.

As you can see, my comment about endorsements still stands.

Comments like that remind me of why I rarely visit there any more

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, EBS_freak said:

At the moment, not a lot. Unless it's was a cheap combo or practice amp for use at home. I'm sure there's a lot of people that are wondering whether they'll ever gig again. There's a lot of re-evaluation going on for a lot of people, especially if there's a lot of money tied up in gear that doesn't look like it will be used in the foreseeable.

If it was an amp, it's impossible to say what would have happened - a lot of people would buy off the specs. There's no specs, there's no amp. It's a pointless question really - but I will nail my colours to the mast... given the pandemic, if there was an amp for sale, I would guess the sales figures would be impacted way, way more right now, than a pedal, which can be used at gigs, at home, rehearsals (if allowed) and recording sessions... oh and they are a lot cheaper than amp is likely to be.

ZVex made alterations to their SHO because they failed to take into account, theres a whole load of church players in the states that liked the pedal, but felt it was inappropriate to have Super Hard On written on it. I guess there will be all sort of people offended by that kinda thing. That promptly had a change of heart and relabelled it the SHO. Of course, you could have taped over it... but why would you want to do that when you've bought a pedal at a premium? Design is a very important - and often overlooked element of a product. There's always the camp that don't care, it's functional, it works, it does what they want it to... but they are also the people that don't care having their car doors dinged at the supermarket. If you are investing in a product, there's a certain element of visual appeal that in many cases, takes place. I hate the look of the Fiat Multipla. It could be the best car in the world... but I hate looking at it. Would I care if I hated looking at an FX pedal? Probably not... but if there were two otherwise identical sounding units, I'd take the one that visually appeals to me. The DI element - well, that's a fundamental requirement to some. If it doesn't offer it and you want it, look elsewhere, or go begging for a v2 and hope for the best. I am guessing that this product has been produced to be the minimum viable product that has enough appeal to sell over competitor products. Adding DI would be an added expense that the vast majority of people would not have used. Is this a preamp? Or a magical fuzz, grind, clean whatever box. If you want a pre, get a pre with a DI. If you want a whatever box, consider this.

If you are never ever going to own a Ferrari, does that mean you can't have an opinion on what you would have liked to see on it or comment on what you don't like about it? It all forms part of the market research and is a valid input. A Ferrari has to have curbside appeal so that those that don't own it, aspire to own it.

Not me. No offense, most of you guys are deaf or are prone to honeymoon periods. I'd like to see reviews just to see if I agree or disagree with the points of views displayed in said videos... and get more informed about what's out there.

Hell no, there's only two people in the bass playing world that prompt people to buy gear. That's Mark King and Marcus Miller. And the people buying that gear tend to be those in jobs outside of music. What people play and the whole endorsement thing is a complete nonsense.

What’s the conclusion?

Thanks for your answer - Defo deserves a response

Yep it was rhetorical, and possibly a silly question, but a fair few responses showed dismay it was only a pedal, not an amp giving an impression that they may have been in for it if it was an amp.

Of course looks matter, but things like super hard on or Pussycat Melter pedal Made for Satchel Of Steel Panther are a complete world apart. The graphics part was more about the ire or lines/waveforms instead of words for the functions of the knobs which does not seem to be present at plenty of other pedals out there that do something similar. The DI - most desks/audio interfaces will be able to take a hotter signal, and i would think that most people who need a DI as essential will probably own/carry a dedicated DI box have something else with it - happy to be wrong. 

Fair point, everyone can have an opinion and can have valid input, but often you’ll seethe comment, i would have got ‘x’ but it doesn’t have ‘y’ when in all likelihood they were ever going to get it.

Again your opinion is fine and many people knows exactly what they want and like deaf or not. Honeymoon periods can relate to a journey people are going through with a particular sound. It may or may not be fickle, it could just be searching.

The artist using is essentially irrelevant - we all have a weak spot for a product be it a manufacturer, user, endorser etc

What’s the conclusion?

Maybe - I think some things cop it more than others, some products or manufacturers do not get as much love as they deserve, some are sitting in the middle.

The point more is that more often than not, something gets numerous pages about its faults without actually knowing anything about a product. TB is berated for being over positive about things, and having people say you had me at Timmy C, but the reverse often seen here is just as bad.

We are probably not far off......

4 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Thanks for your answer - Defo deserves a response

Yep it was rhetorical, and possibly a silly question, but a fair few responses showed dismay it was only a pedal, not an amp giving an impression that they may have been in for it if it was an amp.

Of course looks matter, but things like super hard on or Pussycat Melter pedal Made for Satchel Of Steel Panther are a complete world apart. The graphics part was more about the ire or lines/waveforms instead of words for the functions of the knobs which does not seem to be present at plenty of other pedals out there that do something similar. The DI - most desks/audio interfaces will be able to take a hotter signal, and i would think that most people who need a DI as essential will probably own/carry a dedicated DI box have something else with it - happy to be wrong. 

Fair point, everyone can have an opinion and can have valid input, but often you’ll seethe comment, i would have got ‘x’ but it doesn’t have ‘y’ when in all likelihood they were ever going to get it.

Again your opinion is fine and many people knows exactly what they want and like deaf or not. Honeymoon periods can relate to a journey people are going through with a particular sound. It may or may not be fickle, it could just be searching.

The artist using is essentially irrelevant - we all have a weak spot for a product be it a manufacturer, user, endorser etc

What’s the conclusion?

Maybe - I think some things cop it more than others, some products or manufacturers do not get as much love as they deserve, some are sitting in the middle.

The point more is that more often than not, something gets numerous pages about its faults without actually knowing anything about a product. TB is berated for being over positive about things, and having people say you had me at Timmy C, but the reverse often seen here is just as bad.

We are probably not far off......

Are you spoiling for a fight?

• ped locked and unlocked this topic