Why become a member? ×

Newbie saying hi

Nitebytes

Hi o/
OK I'll say more than that. I'm primarily a drummer, but don't that against me ;)
I've drummed since I was 14 (I'm 47 now), a little over 20 years ago (maybe as much as 25 years ago?) I picked up a bass to see if I could get my fingers around a bassline our bassist was having difficulty with when we were recording. (my playing ended up on that demo tape).
Off the back of that a friend mine came to me and asked me to stand in as bassist for his band while they found a new one having sacked their previous player. I was still with them when  they went into the studio to reocrd an album (Pyridine Piranha by Rooftop Farmers, it's on spotify etc.). 
I left and wanted to do more stuff as a drummer and largely left the bass alone.

I gotmyself into a motorcycle accident a few years ago that's left me with a brain injury, which hampers a few things.

Then covid happened, and lockdown (suprrise, right?).

Rooftop Farmers decided it'd be cool to record more material (after a 20 year hiatus) so I'm picking up the bass again. I bought myself a new bass more suitable to seated practice and recording at home; a Steinberger Spirit.
And then found myself here as I was looking for a few tips on it (which I found in a thread from a couple of years ago).

Also I still stream drums on twitch and may add the bass to my routine.

So, thats me. Hi o/

• Like 4

SO, keep in mind at this point I've had it 48hrs:
It's more comfortable for me to play sat down than my Ibanez Gio Soundgear, the action's a little higher, which I like, and I like the tuning mechanism.

Downsides, no thumb rest and the neck pickup is really low profile so awkward to rest on, the strap button positioning is awkward so its incomfortable to play standing, turning up the master tone I get a horrendous hissing that the Ibanez doesn't do. With just the bridge and neck tones turned up it sounds great. 
It's got a much fuller sound than my Ibanez too. I like it.
Now I need to mod it and add in a thumb rest and an extension arm for the strap button. (Seen both here already)
As a compact travel bass, it's great. (so says the newbie player)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Welcome! :hi:

Oooo, I fancy one of them myself... they seem such good value for money compared to an old / original Steinberger, but I don't know if they're as good as the old ones. 🙂

My '80s Hohner is better overall than my recent Steiny Spirit.

The Spirit's fine but it just doesn't feel as good somehow.  It's passive and that's fairly adequate.  The active Hohner just sings with lightweight and Superwound DBEs on.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 1

On 25/11/2020 at 23:36, Nitebytes said:

Downsides, no thumb rest and the neck pickup is really low profile so awkward to rest on, the strap button positioning is awkward so its incomfortable to play standing, turning up the master tone I get a horrendous hissing that the Ibanez doesn't do. With just the bridge and neck tones turned up it sounds great. 
It's got a much fuller sound than my Ibanez too. I like it.
Now I need to mod it and add in a thumb rest and an extension arm for the strap button. (Seen both here already)
As a compact travel bass, it's great. (so says the newbie player)

I have one too - bought it as a travel bass for the weeks I spent in London. It's great for that, although I'm sometimes asked if I have a rifle in the gig bag! I had a luthier make a thumb-rest for the neck pickup - the low profile makes it easy to miss and I kept muting the B string instead of landing on the pickup.  The neck dive is a nuisance standing up, but I don't find it so much of a problem sitting down. I fitted a strap extender too and that helped, but didn't cure it.

All in all, it's a nice little workhorse. Can't see myself gigging with it, though.

• Like 3

On 27/11/2020 at 16:47, lozkerr said:

I have one too - bought it as a travel bass for the weeks I spent in London. It's great for that, although I'm sometimes asked if I have a rifle in the gig bag! I had a luthier make a thumb-rest for the neck pickup - the low profile makes it easy to miss and I kept muting the B string instead of landing on the pickup.  The neck dive is a nuisance standing up, but I don't find it so much of a problem sitting down. I fitted a strap extender too and that helped, but didn't cure it.

All in all, it's a nice little workhorse. Can't see myself gigging with it, though.

Yeah the gig bag does look like a rifle bag no you come to mention it (and having compared to my airsoft kit bags).
Is Luithier a member here that I might ask abouit a thumb rest? (alternatively, 5mm OD steel tube and heatshrink aren't hard to come by). I'm wary of unscrewing anything on the top pickups (yet) - I guess I'll have to replace the stock screws with slightly longer ones?

10 hours ago, Nitebytes said:

Yeah the gig bag does look like a rifle bag no you come to mention it (and having compared to my airsoft kit bags).
Is Luithier a member here that I might ask abouit a thumb rest? (alternatively, 5mm OD steel tube and heatshrink aren't hard to come by). I'm wary of unscrewing anything on the top pickups (yet) - I guess I'll have to replace the stock screws with slightly longer ones?

I got Chris McIntyre (www.mcintyreguitars.com) to do it when I took it to him for a setup. He made a hardwood rest that fitted over the pickup and replaced the stock screws with longer ones.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...