Why become a member? ×

NID (New Interface Day)

DaytonaRik

I've been getting by with a combination of an Apogee Jam, plus a Behringer XR18 and whilst both had allowed me to record neither are what you'd call leading edge on the old interface stakes.  Both had limited options of 44.1 or 48khz sample rate but neither were what you'll call speedy.  Using Reaper's built in latency The Jam has reported a latency of 7.0 m/s at 48khz with 128 samples.  The Behringer does better and get's down to 5.8 m/s with the same settings.

Enter - The Focusrite Clarett 2Pre!

I had been looking for a Thunderbolt interface and had all but given up of hope of finding one as all of their current Prosumer are now USB-C but I happened upon a new-old-stock Thunderbolt interface for sale on eBay and jumped at the chance.  The results are astonishing - running the same 48khz/128 samples setting the Clarett records just 3.3 m/s of latency according to Reaper's built in measurements, but upping the frequency to 96khz and 128 samples the Focusrite has an amazing latency value of 1.8 m/s.

Build quality is excellent - external power supply aside - with an all metal case, satisfying relay switches when swapping between line and instrument level and a clear easy to read panel.  Front mounted phantom power buttons per channel, and monitor and headphone levels are also on the front.  The interface comes with the excellent Control software which allows you to route the various inputs to the four 1/4" outputs or SPDIF ports.  It's a step up from the Scarlett, definitely more Prosumer than consumer.

A very impressive piece of kit and an excellent addition to the home studio.

Screenshot 2020-11-24 at 19.05.36.png

Screenshot 2020-11-24 at 19.07.35.png

Screenshot 2020-11-24 at 19.06.07.png

Screenshot 2020-11-24 at 19.09.55.png

Screenshot 2020-11-24 at 18.19.46.png

Congrats! I have the USB version - a true upgrade from my gen 3 Scarlett. As you say a great piece of kit with plenty of headroom too in the gain. Love the control software too. The separate phantom power per channel was also important to me.

Edited by Bobthedog