Why become a member? ×

Basschat 12” cabinet diary

bertbass

here's the original one 1x12" Cab Design Diary - Amps and Cabs - Basschat

this is the cutdown sized one Easy 12" cab build - Amps and Cabs - Basschat 

The only thread I can find so far for the two way design has lost the pictures 12" Cab Diary Continued - Amps and Cabs - Basschat but i'll keep looking unles @stevie  or @Chienmortbbfinds it before me

Edited by Phil Starr

All the photos I posted for the Diary Continued were removed when the previously free Tiny Pic hosting service decided to change its business model. I uploaded most of the later ones, particularly those showing how to assemble and finish the cab, but it was not always clear from the context which photos from the earlier part of the thread were missing. So I didn't bother with those.

Then there was the fact that P. Audio changed the spec for the tweeter used in the first budget two-way design -  I think that was the MKII - and there wasn't a lot of point in uploading those photos anyway.

If there's any interest in a design for a budget 12" + horn tweeter, I can certainly do one, based on either the MkIII cab or the less complex but easier to build MkI. However, both of those cabs are perfectly usable with just a 12" driver on its own.

1 hour ago, BassBunny said:

Could the BassChat cab design threads not be pinned? 

I've had a word with Ped and Kiwi and the answer is yes. It might take a while for us to get it together as it would make sense for us to put all the designs together in a single thread and just link to the rather extended original diaries.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

I've had a word with Ped and Kiwi and the answer is yes. It might take a while for us to get it together as it would make sense for us to put all the designs together in a single thread and just link to the rather extended original diaries.

Sounds great Phil and a really sensible way forward.

• Like 1

On 25/11/2020 at 13:25, stevie said:

If there's any interest in a design for a budget 12" + horn tweeter, I can certainly do one, based on either the MkIII cab or the less complex but easier to build MkI. However, both of those cabs are perfectly usable with just a 12" driver on its own.

I think the tweeter as an upgrade for the Mk1 would be a great idea. It would keep the concept of an easy build but get very close to the performance of the Mk2. I need to redesign the proportions of the Mk1 as it was proportioned to match the old 19" class AB amps people were still using then. It will be a simple job to leave space for a horn unit to be added later. If you could add a horn for between £50-100 I think people would go for it. Building a Mk1 with a horn would effectively reinstate the Mk2 as an affordable two way design with the Mk3 with the Neo/lightweight/top quality tweeter as the state of the art cab.