Why become a member? ×

Jazz vs. Ray4 comparison

Vanheusen77

2 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Interesting. I expected the Ray to sound more aggressive, but it’s much more polite, as I measure these things. Love the Ray slap sound though, always have. 

The Ray has more high end on tap if you boost the treble more though, but yes the jazz sure has a lot of high end going on. And I did not even have the tone all the way up!

As a die hard Precision player I find the Jazz easier to switch to, easier to coax the sounds in relation to a Precision as being the same brand they tend to behave similarly. I find that although the Stingrays are amazingly good quality and play fantastic I just can’t “de-Ray” them, even with flats. And after having had a few I’ve had to accept that they’re really not the bass for me. So my 1987 2-band will be up for grabs soon ☹️

• Like 1

Not being a fan of the P body shape I've generally avoided them. I've worn out my love affair with the tonal palette from Jazzes and find that I can't play them any more - compromise??? Really getting into PJ in recent months - mainly inspired by my trusty Nanyo. Loving what my Squier Standard PJ and G&L SB2 can do.

Similarly my twin H G&L M2000 is an improvement (IMO) over what I remember from my previously owned Rays.

This is the richness we have in the choice and variety of p/ups in our instrument - something for everybody???

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vanheusen77 said:

The Ray has more high end on tap if you boost the treble more though, but yes the jazz sure has a lot of high end going on. And I did not even have the tone all the way up!

Can I ask if that's a Sterling Ray 4 you're playing, or a USA Musicman Stingray?

They both sound great.

Edited by gjones

• 2 months later...
On 27/11/2020 at 07:03, bassbloke said:

Definitely the jazz for me.  Unsurprisingly.  The Stingray has that unmistakable Musicman HiFi sound but lacks the natural growl of the Fender. 

we must be listening to different clips, there's tons of growl! :D

• Like 1