Why become a member? ×

Squier/Fender Midnight Wine chip repair

Nibody

This might be of use to anyone who has a Fender or Squier bass in the "Midnight Wine" colour. Having bought a 96 MIK Squier in pretty bad shape, I was trying to find a paint match to touch up some of the many chips that are missing from the finish.

After exhausting the wifes (and Daughters) nail polish collections and trying to match by eye a suitable colour, I have found something pretty damn close (certainly good enough for chips and dints anyway.

Maybeline Super Stay 7 Days Gel Nail Polish - N0.287 - "Midnight Red".

Once it has built up a few coats it darkens with each coat and is a fairly good match for fenders (Squiers anyway) "Midnight Wine". Ccertainly enough to patch/touch up any flaked off finnish and dings.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Muppet said:

Can you source me a match for Candy Apple Red?

CAR will be tougher to match, in my opinion. I believe the original method of creating this colour was a transparent red clear coat over a silver (or gold?) base coat. Not so easy to replicate with one paint/nail varnish.

If the base coat is not damaged then I'd try a (tomato red) tinted transparent coat. The depth of (red) colour can built up with several layers of tinted clear coat. I recall the base coat was Inca silver. Halfrauds may have these as car paints, certainly available online.

6 hours ago, BlueMoon said:

CAR will be tougher to match, in my opinion. I believe the original method of creating this colour was a transparent red clear coat over a silver (or gold?) base coat. Not so easy to replicate with one paint/nail varnish.

If the base coat is not damaged then I'd try a (tomato red) tinted transparent coat. The depth of (red) colour can built up with several layers of tinted clear coat. I recall the base coat was Inca silver. Halfrauds may have these as car paints, certainly available online.

Yep CAR is clear red on a metalic (gold or silver) basecoat. My fix isnt perfect (the original midnight wine colour is a slight metallic whereas the nailpolish isnt) but for that small ding or gouge its close enough unless you get up really close with a magnifying glass.