Why become a member? ×

NBD - Rickenbacker 4003

Toby B

Hee hee!

I'm an occasional bass player, and graduated from a beginners Yamaha TRBX to a very nice sounding and playable Ibanez SR. But I have often wondered about a Rick ... tried them in a shop but never sure ...

Then an opportunity for a fireglow 4003 came up ... and it's BRILLIANT! Sounds significantly different to the Ibanez playing it straight, terrific bark from playing the bridge behind the pick guard, and a rich thump from both infront.

But even more exciting is the Rico-sound option ... I know loads of players never touch it ... but a simple Y-cable, plug the neck into my bass amp, the bridge into a Marshal guitar amp with dome distortion... and it's not growling, it's a full-throated snarl! Fabulous. And the opportunity to try out Fx pedals on each channel, or record both seperately and really mess about ... what an instrument! Very glad I didn't go gor a 4003S on a couple of occasions ...       B)

• Like 3

I am pleasantly surprised by the range of tones, much more than a number of passive basses I have played ... I know they a represented by Lemmy & McCartney... but it's far more versatile than their 6 strings which sound great, but very often sound "like a Rickenbacker" rather than like whoever is playing them.

• Like 2