Why become a member? ×

SOLD Wal Mk I
£5999

nap

Curious; why do you want a Mk2 especially?  The MK1 is more comfortable to play, lighter for one thing.  The extra frets above the octave are fun but the access isn't great. MK2 makes sense for 5 strings of course.  Hope you don't regret losing such a lovely MK1.  

IMG_20201114_161411735.jpg

27 minutes ago, NickA said:

Curious; why do you want a Mk2 especially?  The MK1 is more comfortable to play, lighter for one thing.  The extra frets above the octave are fun but the access isn't great. MK2 makes sense for 5 strings of course.  Hope you don't regret losing such a lovely MK1.  

IMG_20201114_161411735.jpg

Surely they also sit differently. One of the things I struggled a bit with on my Wals (a Mk 1 and a Pro IIE) was how they sat further out than I was used to. Have the same thing with some Warwicks.

Edited by 4000
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NickA said:

If I find myself in the fortunate position to own a Wal again, I’d go for the Mk2 purely for the 12th fret strap button positioning, instead of 14th.

Glwts. ‘Tis a beautiful example.

Edited by Deedee
  • Like 1

Both sit closer than a fender or a stingray, nether as close as my dolphin.  The MK1 is more comfy for me.  Not sure why. 

The Mk 2 feels bigger but isnt really, and only 450g heavier. Nerd that I am, drew round both to find out. 

IMG_20201123_222015037.thumb.jpg.00a1a9494fe5cdb2995c06584832665e.jpg

With the bridges aligned, the heels of the bodies also line up (hence the poor access to the extra frets of the MK2 unless you bring your thumb round).  Don't know why JC favours the MK2; if I only wanted four strings I'd stick with the mk 1.  I'd like to try a MK3 though!

Anyway, I've hijacked your sales thread so will wish you luck and push off 🙂

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sparky Mark said:

. I paid £275

My mk 1 fretless was £820 in 1997, the MK2, bought a couple of years back, over £4k!! The way Wals maintain and increase their value is a mystery .. compared to Smiths, Alembics, Warwicks ACGs etc.

But there you go, this is what they cost.  Bass Direct had a MK1 in less good condition than this the other week.  £5000, sold in hours .. likely to the US.

• ped locked this topic