Why become a member? ×

5 Wire Bass Pickups

ALR8LUV

Hi all

This is my first post.  I'm hoping for some help in converting my passive bass to an active.  Its the first bass I ever owned which I am upgrading.  I have purchased some SB-4B pickups and an active preamp.  The preamp is already wired up but I am at a loss as to how to configure the 5 wires coming from the pickup.  I've searched on the web and its suggesting the following:-

Bare wire – this is the overall earth wire and needs to be connected to a common ground / earth point. The earth loop on the guitar can be connected into on the back of one of the potentiometers.

Black wire – this is the negative / start of coil 1

White wire – this is the positive / finish / hot out of coil 1

Red wire – this is the negative / start of coil 2

Green wire – this is the positive / finish / hot out of coil 2

It goes on to say white and red wires should be joined together.  Before I go wiring this up incorrectly I would be grateful if anyone could advise me if this is correct?  Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Wiring.jpg

Hi and welcome to BC!

Your wiring diagram above is for guitar and not specifically your SB-4B pickups. Your wiring options will depend on number of pickups you're installing (1,2,3....etc), what pre-amp you have and the controls layout (vol, vol/vol, treble, mid, mid sweep etc etc). On the Syemour Duncan resources page there is a drop down selection for types of pickups and wiring configurations etc.  Link Here: SD Wiring Options

Are you sure the pickups are SB-4B as I read it on the website as they are 3 wire (2 core plus ground) not 5 wire (4 core and ground)? 🤔 The only other 4 string pickups with 5 wire I could see were the NYC version.

Edited by Acebassmusic

Casting around, it sound like there's a ESP Designed range of pickups, SB-4B being the bridge pickup of the OEM pair in many ESP/Ltd basses.. is yours one of those, or is it definitely a Seymour Duncan model?

SD are a good place to start when looking for clues as to wiring colours, but you may have to go in with a multimeter and your ears to decide just which wire does what.. good luck, it's all part of the fun!

Edited by hubrad
spelling!
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, hubrad said:

Test for continuity to determine the ends of each coil, then it's a bit trial and error getting the phase right.

Put the DMM setting to VDC. When you hit the pickup with a magnetic tool like a screwdriver, the voltage raises shortly to the positive side if it is in phase. The DMM may have a min/max function and here it is very handy.

Edited by itu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, itu said:

Put the DMM setting to VDC. When you hit the pickup with a magnetic tool like a screwdriver, the voltage raises shortly to the positive side if it is in phase. The DMM may have a min/max function and here it is very handy.

I never got round to knowing that.. thanks for the tip, itu!

• Like 1