Why become a member? ×

Relining a hard case

OliverBlackman

I've never done it, but if I were to I'd:

- take a few pics first and as you proceed with dismantling the lining.

- carefully remove (dissect) the existing lining from the inner case body, noting anchor points and attachments that aren't simply contact adhesive.

- lay out the pieces of the old lining and use these (when flat) as a template to cut replacement lining to shape. Note double or overlapped edges if there are any

- trial fit and then glue in place. Probably best to use spray adhesive (note any safety warnings)

Good luck........sounds like a fun project.

(Note : others who have done it and have experience might approach it differently, but that's the way I would do it)

• Thanks 1

I made a case for my Jaguar SS, which is an awkward size being too big for a guitar case but rattling around in a standard bass one.

I found a furry dark crimson throw that had that 'slightly metallic' vintage look, indeed it looks just like proper lining material. It had a large hole, having been used as a dog blanket for a week or so, but after washing it there was plenty for lining two cases!

Hiscox cases seem to be velvet over foam internally.

Not sure if the velvet will separate  from the foam easily, if at all. I'd look out for one with a different internal colour you like, buy it and sell yours. If you don't want to lose the branding on it, then just suck it up as I think you may regret pulling your case to bits.

I've modded non-moulded cases before quite easily where they have external screws and when I've wanted to raise or lower the neck brace position.

4 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

Hiscox cases seem to be velvet over foam internally.

Not sure if the velvet will separate  from the foam easily, if at all. I'd look out for one with a different internal colour you like, buy it and sell yours. If you don't want to lose the branding on it, then just suck it up as I think you may regret pulling your case to bits.

I've modded non-moulded cases before quite easily where they have external screws and when I've wanted to raise or lower the neck brace position.

Yeh that was what I was going to do initially but couldn’t work out a deal on one I saw secondhand without losing too much money. 
I’ve also messaged Hiscox on the off chance business is slow and they have time to answer.