Why become a member? ×

Neil Murray bass

dmccombe7

1 hour ago, dudewheresmybass said:

I’d certainly love to read a book by Neil. 
ive ready Micky moody’s and Bernie marsden’s, as well as a many others- I tend to read biography more than anything else, as I like to pick up ideas and benefit from other’s experience. 
joel mciver has written and ‘helped’ with others in writing their autobiography, to name just one-  and considering @neilmurraybass wealth of experience, I’m certain it would be a great read 👍

The Glenn Hughes autobiography is good. Guessing you've read Guy Pratt's book too.

Dave

Have to say Neil has been such a great guy answering so many questions i've been storing over the years. He has shared some of his vast knowledge about everything from basses, amps, strings, playing and recording. 

He has confirmed my thoughts that he is a true gent and just a really nice guy. 

I was gobsmacked that he even took the time to reply. Just goes to show that some pros are still nice people after the fame.

Dave

• Like 6

On 11/12/2020 at 11:40, Bilbo said:

A couple of transcriptions of Neil 's bass parts: Down To You by Colosseum II and Fool For Your Loving by Whitesnake

https://bilbosbassbites.co.uk/down-to-you-colosseum-ii/

https://bilbosbassbites.co.uk/fool-for-your-loving-whitesnake/

I haven't checked them through yet, but I'm intrigued as to where someone would get an isolated bass recording of Fool For Your Loving. I'll admit to one 'clinker' but I'd need to be convinced that there are various others on the track.

• Like 1

Chris7273 drew my attention to it, Neil. It was after I had pretty much finished the transcription so I was revisiting the bits I hadn't been absolutely sure of when I transcribed it

Please don't think I was implying that there loads of fluffs in there. There weren't. I think, if I recall correctly, I was referring to things like a short sixteenth note phrase where the correct notes were hit but one of them didn't ring out as cleanly as the others. 

I am a fan and have been Since Strange New Flesh and National Health. Here is a clinker free Tenemos Roads 

https://bilbosbassbites.co.uk/tenemos-roads-national-health/

I’ve had to try and learn Fool For Your Loving recently, great bass line though I have to admit remembering all the different bits in the right order proved more than a little difficult so I made the executive decision to just play the riff in the first verse/chorus over and over as a standard song. I hope that’s ok.

11 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Please don't think I was implying that there loads of fluffs in there.

You weren't implying it.  You said it quite plainly, spell-check notwithstanding.  In the third person, as well!  🤣

Bilbo was provided with an ‘isolated bass’ version of the tune after his was three quarters of the way through the transcription and, on listening to the exposed bass parts, realised that the bits he was struggling to hear were actually ‘clinkers’, minor errors that don’t cause the momentum of the part to collapse and are left in simply becasue the overall feel of the performance is worth the conmpromise. 

There is no reference to quantity there, Paul. My recollection is that there were two of these notes, maybe three. One I specifically recall was a 16th note chromatic run eg BCC#D where one of the notes was not clean. It was not wrong, just not clean. 

I think we are all interpreting clinker differently. Not all mis-steps are wrong notes. Even Jeff Berlin drops one every now and then (in both Neil and Jeff's cases, these notes are pretty much inaudible until you slow it down to 25%).

There is also another explanation: I could just be wrong. It has happened before. Not often but.... 😀

PS The third person thing was a consequence of an early decision by the Web page designer (my nephew, who runs okto design). He wrote the first few that way and it didn't sound right to change it when I started uploading myself. 😀

Edited by Bilbo
  • Thanks 1

Just checking - got to the 6th bar - already there's a mistake in the transcription, so I can see I'll have to do my own version! 🙂 I'm not in any way an expert at transcribing or using notation software, so don't hold your breath.

Edit: There are 6 errors just on the first page, to be nit-picky.

Edited by neilmurraybass
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

@neilmurraybass I too would love to read some of your thoughts, stories and descriptions from your life in music. But I also get that writing a book is a hugely daunting task.

One possible alternative would be to do the video version. Leland Sklar does exactly this. It started as a bit of a lockdown thing, but he has produced hundreds of videos now, detailing not just his basslines, but gear stories and much more. It helps that he is a natural storyteller, but if your posts on here are anything to go by - so are you!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I’ve had to try and learn Fool For Your Loving recently, great bass line though I have to admit remembering all the different bits in the right order proved more than a little difficult so I made the executive decision to just play the riff in the first verse/chorus over and over as a standard song. I hope that’s ok.

I think it was this song that made me change my (admittedly shortsighted) opinion that rock bass is boring/uninspiring. Fool for your loving, to me, is a great example: the bassline goes places, and it's busier than most thing until they pay attention, but it fits perfectly and doesn't get in the way. I just love everything about it: the notes, the sound (the sound!)... 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, mcnach said:

I think it was this song that made me change my (admittedly shortsighted) opinion that rock bass is boring/uninspiring. Fool for your loving, to me, is a great example: the bassline goes places, and it's busier than most thing until they pay attention, but it fits perfectly and doesn't get in the way. I just love everything about it: the notes, the sound (the sound!)... 

Agree. Everything just works so well in that song. Possibly the best rock song ever written IMHO  of course.😀

• Like 2