Why become a member? ×

Ultimate fretless bass chorus

BassAgent

So I bought a fretless Stingray recently and yesterday I made the "mistake" of trying a Boss CH-1 with it. Man, what a sound. So now I want a chorus, but there are sooooo many choices within a reasonable budget. TC Corona, Boss CE-2B, EHX Bass Clone, EBS Bass Chorus, Ampeg Liquid and so on. I have noooo idea what to look for. Can anyone clarify what the big difference(s) is between these pedals? I'm looking for the classic 80's Pino-ish sound here.

It's a great sound 😊

To be honest any decent chorus pedal should do the job.  I've used a Boss bass chorus in the past and currently have the EBS Unichorus.  Both work well with fretted and fretless for me.  I'm sure the others you mentioned along with MXR's bass chorus deluxe would be good.

EBS Unichorus user and Pino devotee here. I’ve had my Unichorus for years, certainly at least 10. IIRC I demoed a few side by side at the time, but the only other one of that test that I can remember was whatever the Boss chorus was at the time and the EBS was narrowly the better one to my ears at the time. One of the advantages of the EBS is that it offers chorus, flange or pitch modulation (just different interpretations of the same basic effect really, but different nonetheless). 

If you want to lengthen the delay time a bit, flanger is an option, too. tce SCF costs a bit more and has both (and the PM: EBS copied the idea). I have had few issues with weak bass. A ch/pm/fl through a X-over has been my solution.

Edited by itu

37 minutes ago, itu said:

If you want to lengthen the delay time a bit, flanger is an option, too. tce SCF costs a bit more and has both (and the PM: EBS copied the idea). I have had few issues with weak bass. A ch/pm/fl through a X-over has been my solution.

I have thought about a flanger but I really like the specific sound of a chorus :)

I think it has to be stereo for a really beautiful sound, with the ability to effect only frequencies above a certain range (Guess you'd call that a low pass filter?)

I just got a TC Electronic June-60 pedal which sounds great, too - very simple but warm and lush sounding. it also does stereo.

JUNE-60_P0D8E_Right_XL.png

I use a T. C Electronic John Petrucci Dreamscape( Digital) ... Chorus' Flange' Vibrato & Tone prints available.. Pretty Good considering you can use all the Corona Chorus Prints also'  I did have a Boss BF-2B Flanger (Analogue) that had been modded with the John Fromell mod' to make more T. C ( S C F) .. But the  T. C'  J P pedal does so much more... Just remember Not too much effect.. 

Edited by paulo m

In the non reasonable budget, there is the JAM Pedals Waterfall, certainly the ultimate chorus to date, but mono (for the stereo hardcore fans, but I don't see the point of a stereo effect when the base signal is mono) and (very) expensive. It also incorporates a terrific vibrato.

JAM pedals WaterFall | analog chorus / vibrato pedal

Check out the Source Audio Gemini. Various chorus models in there (as well as flangers and phasers) and presets but can be used as a “normal” knobby pedal. It has a crossover feature (called “lo-retain” in their lexicon) which allows the effect to only apply to a frequency range above the set threshold; great for having clean low end and chorus on upper register notes.