Why become a member? ×

Jazz Help...with regard to PMT Leeds

Musicman20

Hello

I have spent a fortune in PMT the last few months.

I had a thread about the new Fender Jazz 09 I ordered in...I didn't accept it due to finish flaws.

Carl, the manager, was really good about it, but the guy I was dealing with started to treat me like a kid.

Not only did he not call when I asked them to ring straight away when it came in (as I had to plan when to drive down) he then told my girlfriend that If I wanted to buy another Orange Cab (which I currently have a half stack so spent a bomb with this salesman) I would have to pay EXTRA on the normal retail because they already have one in stock, (although it looks a little worse for wear) and I want a new one ordering in. I also asked them to order the covers in for it, and they won't until I put a deposit down on them (we are talking £50 for three covers or something).

So...now I dont know if they are lying about this Fender. He said he didnt know if it was new to me, or if it was the old one repolished. He then told my girlfriend two different stories. Then he said he is 100% its brand new, and not the old doodgy.

He also had the cheek to say I shouldnt be so picky when ordering in. So if I buy this bass if spent over £2K in a month. And Im going to get this Orange cab now? I dont think so.

Advice please....im really disappointed. What should i check on this Fender to make sure its a brand spanking new one?

Theyve lost a sale with the Orange Cab....a local shop will undercut them by a £10 and it will be brand new stock.

Sorry for the rant. Im just digusted.

I think you should be telling all this to Carl the manager, and expect to get a cash reduction on a new cab for your trouble. Failing that you could write to head office with your complaint (I assume they are a chain)

I'd just find the cheapest place online for the cab and order it. If it was a bass, I'd definitely want to play it first, but amps and cabs I'll happily order from the cheapest vendor!

I've never had problems with PMT before (should I rephrase that?), but only ever been to the Birmingham one.

Feels to me like your treatment by the sales staff is rubbing off on your feelings towards the bass itself. In which case you may never be truly happy with it. Time to cut your losses adn invoke your consumer rights. PMT are already guilty of trying to sell secondhand stock as new, something local trading standards take seriously (Dixons stores were always being prosecuted for this). Don't come on heavy just ask for any deposits to be refunded. Draw a line and don't line up anything else, they clearly don't respond to further custom as an incentive to make good previous sales.

You may find writing to Fender a good idea, they jealously guard the idea that buying Fender American series should be a quality experience. Maybe that sales assistant won't feel it but simple letters have occassionally been known to bring down bigtime wrath.

Yes...it has ruined the experience of buying a USA Jazz. Ive wanted one for years.

Ive told them I wont be ordering the Orange stuff with them now, and Im tempted to ring them tomorrow and explain that Im not happy and want my deposit back.

Im off to Leeds on Saturday anyway, so I can pop in. I can just see myself losing my temper...not in an aggressive way, just like 'if this isnt perfect, then you can shove it'.

Its a shame, because some of the guys there are obviously average blokes and love guitars etc. This guy just creeps me out. This lass called Kay in there was very friendly and was disgusted when I told her what this bloke had been upto.

HAHAHA....if he really winds me up I will be naming him, to Fender, his manager, his Head Office, and everyone else.

Hi

Thanks for sharing - it is through communities like this that valuable consumer information can be disseminated.

I would recommend that you ask for a full refund and walk away from any dealings with the store. It is an offence to misrepresent goods, whether knowingly or otherwise, under the Trades Description Act (which has now largely been rebadged but has the same core ethos). The penalty is a £5000 fine or imprisonment, or both, depending on the severity.

Trading Standards is the Enforcement Authority with jurisdiction to handle complaints regarding misrepresented goods.

The best way to deal with this is to remain calm and professional but make it absolutely clear that you are entitled to a full refund and will accept nothing less.

Irrespective of the response, you should formalise your complaint after this. Positioning information about instruments in a way that is misleading, ambiguous or misrepresenting is unacceptable.

Regards

AM

[quote name='Musicman20' post='439859' date='Mar 19 2009, 11:01 PM']Yes...it has ruined the experience of buying a USA Jazz. Ive wanted one for years.

Ive told them I wont be ordering the Orange stuff with them now, and Im tempted to ring them tomorrow and explain that Im not happy and want my deposit back.

Im off to Leeds on Saturday anyway, so I can pop in. I can just see myself losing my temper...not in an aggressive way, just like 'if this isnt perfect, then you can shove it'.

Its a shame, because some of the guys there are obviously average blokes and love guitars etc. This guy just creeps me out. This lass called Kay in there was very friendly and was disgusted when I told her what this bloke had been upto.

HAHAHA....if he really winds me up I will be naming him, to Fender, his manager, his Head Office, and everyone else.[/quote]

Stopped using PMT years ago. I used to live close by to the original in Southend when Simon and Terry used to actually serve in the shop. Me and my mates had spent over £12,000 in the shop up until then. I bought a new Fender USA jazz 5 and was told that I had to pay an extra £90 for the Fender hard case. When I checked the Fender website. It was listed as an "outfit" including the hard case. I raised the point and they agreed, after a row, that maybe they'd been hasty in asking for the extra and offered me a non Fender case FOC. I declined and never went back. (Nor did my mates)

Sounds like it's time to be an angry valuable customer. Go over this gibbon's head and get it sorted out. The key is to compare it to mail order - if you bought these things off their site (or someone else's) you wouldn't have to pay extra to get a non-soiled cab, and if you bought a bass with an imperfect finish you'd simply return it under trading law.

The sentence "if coming to a shop is actually giving me worse service than ordering online, maybe I'll order everything from Dolphin in future and get the best prices while I'm at it" will probably get you the solution you need.

Edited by noisedude

Given the way things are at the moment, it's a buyers market and someone needs to remind the salesguy/Manager and PMT about this.

If you order a high value bass and it's not right, you're perfectly within your right to refuse it. People do it with cars all of the time.

As for paying extra for a cab that's not shop-worn, that's just farcical.

Hey guys n gals. Thanks for the advice.

I wrote a very angry email to Fender UK on Friday. Not sure if they've had chance to sort anything yet.

I went into PMT on Saturday.

The guy who has messed me about knew I wasn't happy. He brought the apparently 'new' Jazz out. Guess what folks...he had lied. He had lied about it being new in the first place and had lied when I made the effort to go down because he said 'another new one has come in'. I noticed as it has been heavily polisherd, the pickups were not aligned correctly, and the Fender Sticker was hanging off like the last one...in the same place. The scratches had nearly gone, but more than likely due to the fact he had someone polish it. It had polish swirls all over it.

What I hate are the f***ing lies. I am really angry he lied. He said 'so you don't think its new, ok, we can get you a brand new one in, or you can have your money back'. He had also mentioned earlier on the phone 'we got that as a deal for you to match gak.co.uk'. What he means is a demo one, then he tried to lie again. I got my deposit back, and also informed him I wouldnt be using them for the other Orange cab.

I don't know whether to waste anymore time complaining, and not sure who would do anything, but I thought I should tell you lot.

Basically, be VERY careful. They have tried to stitch me up a few times in a few weeks! Dont get me wrong some of the stuff in their is mint and new, like when I got my Orange Head and 4x10, but make sure you check it out.

Im now disappointed but happy I can go somewhere else. I WILL get the dream Jazz!

Regarding the other Orange cab. Its been on the shop floor about 5 weeks, and it has been very battered! Black marks all over, scuffed corners, people using it as a seat! As if I am going to pay full retail on that!

I didnt even get a stand, I don't want any more problems.

Please see my other topic about Jazz decision and best place to go :)