Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton MB-4 Satin Black (REVIEW and SOUND TEST)

dave84

Did another little mod yesterday and found out the bass's weakness, installed the Warman pickup and expected it to instantly have more output and grunt.....but no! Wired it in just as a humbucker and it was a little better than standard but still disappointing compared to other basses I have with the same pup. I noticed a bit of fluffyness to the sound, put a set of strings on that I had lying around and voila it's the monster it was meant to be,  the standard strings are rubbish! Just need now to give it a couple of weeks till I get the Kiogon loom and switch and my mods are done! 

20201129_144721.jpg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

Ive been eyeing those pickups myself, and youve made up my mind for me. I've  already got a set of D'Addario chromes on the way.

Do you have a pic of the rear of the original pickup?

There you go. The Warman has a slightly bigger casing and needs a little filing to make it fit but it`s worth it.

20201129_171250.jpg

Edited by DarkHeart
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

Mine is 8lbs dead (4 string), so not a featherwieght but still south of middling.

I think 8lb for a 4 string is quite decent. It's definitely on the lighter side of things. Basses like Ibanez SR300 and Sire M2 are about 7.8/7.9lbs and they're some of the lightest. Plenty of 4 strings that are over 10lbs. Perhaps they put dumbbells in them, otherwise I don't know how they manage to weigh so much.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I guess it's a matter of what you're after - I actually like them so much I buy sets of the Harley benton rounds to replace other strings with!

I think I've got a set of dodgy strings, I've only seen this once before when Chris from Alpher posted a video on facebook about a bass that had very low output, turned out the strings weren't magnetic and I've just tried mine and they're the same. First string is just a random string and it sticks to the pickup, second is the one off the HB all 4 are the same and it doesn't!