Why become a member? ×

Dual truss rod adjustment

Tjhooker

Has anyone got any advice re twin truss rods?

I have a spector q6 that I got a year or so back that has two truss rods .. I don't know how to determine how loose or tight each one is .. and i'm guesssing there must be some sort of "perfect" adjustment between the two    :(?

Is there more tension on the lower strings?  Should that rod (b string side) be tighter?

The neck is good and stable and at nearly 20 years old hopefuly ok for the future..  but are there any signs to lookout for heading forward? I don't want the neck to start twisting .

The action is good but I'm always happy to tweak things if it could get better.

I'm not too worried but just looking for any advice.

Thanks

If its a fine neck then of course leave it.....marking where the rods sit now ( I use one of those silver markers) and then slacken off to zero effect will show how much or little they are being used. You raised a point I had never thought of with which side needs more ‘trussing’ and my thought it they should be equally taught but then again, Ive never had a dual rod neck......anything on the Spector site?

I done a little digging on this exact topic when I got a six-string equipped with dual truss rods. It seems the concensus is to keep them even, no need to put more tension in one side or the other.  (My inquisitive brain makes me think that this makes sense if the strings have the same overall tension on each half of the neck - but does this really happen, and how to we measure it?)

• Like 1

Capo on first fret, press down 17th fret, measure neck relief on E and G sides at 7th fret with feeler guage . 

Set truss rods for 10 thou on G and 12 thou on E... ??

loosen both truss rods and check relief increases - therefore truss rods are working

re-tighten truss rods to get the 10/12 thou relief - if there are still free turns on the truss rods (ideally enough to get some back-bow) then all is AOK.

• Like 2

The post above appears to have some very sound advice (indeed, they all do).  Alembic uses dual - single action - rods in all (nearly all?) of its basses and the advice there is to maintain a pretty much consistent approach when adjusting, i.e., similar adjustment for each rod.  I'm not sure that this helps very much but good luck.  If there has been stability for 20 years, you live in a temperate climate (Sw uk) and you're not doing anything extreme in terms of string gauges, I'd have thought you'll be reasonably safe

• Thanks 1