Why become a member? ×

NBD Alpher Mini Mako

bassist_lewis

I took delivery of one of the new Mini Mako basses from Alpher on Thursday. Got it out the case and, being totally honest, I wasn't 100% sure about the tone. However, I adjusted the setup and spent some time playing around with it through my Ampeg PF-50T and now I love it. Totally different to what I was expecting but it's a really solid punchy tone and compliments the basses I already have. 

Obviously the build quality is excellent. The neck feels great and the edges have been expertly rolled with no sharp bits. It balances perfectly on a strap and the cutaway makes it easy to play right up to the end of the neck. I think the most innovative thing they've done is replaced the usual strap pins with bolts that screw into a thread set into the body. Along with some rubber washers (provided) these are perfect straplocks. The tough part will be not ordering another one!

Branded Hiscox case is en route also.

20201122_083716.jpg

20201122_083846.jpg

20201122_083746.jpg

20201122_083732.jpg

20201122_084034.jpg

Edited by bassist_lewis
  • Like 6

I'm a little surprised you haven't had a chorus of responses by now. It seems to me to compare very favourably with instruments from Serek or Nordstrand, for example, and it's home grown, which is nice.

Not been at all tempted up to now by short scale basses; years ago I spent two days with a '72 Mustang, which was lovely, and then a 71 Precision, which was so much lovelier that the preference for me was a no-brainer...

But this Alpher might be the one to finally change that. Most exciting bass I've seen this year apart from the Ibanez EHB ( which is a different kettle of fish entirely...)

You have a beautiful bass there.

I thought there'd be more enthusiasm too but there you go! It's a little more conservative than some of their designs with the fancy burls and grains but an excellent instrument all round. I used to like those coffee table basses but I prefer the more classic styling now.

I admit there's still nothing quite like the sound of a long scale precision.

Looks really cool! I've been impressed with everything I've seen from Alpher on this forum so far. Not a fan of the relic finish, I have learned to embrace them on some Fender-style instruments but have some trouble with them on such modern instruments that haven't been around long enough to have reached that condition from heavy use. It does suit this version though, with some of the more old-school features. 

On 22/11/2020 at 21:37, walshy said:

I bought this one, it’s an absolute beast! I knew when he was building it I was gonna buy it. The Nordstrand blade pick ups are mighty! Excellent  quality too. 

4C6BE64B-259E-4014-9ACB-091DB93FE2AC.jpeg

So fun story. I went up to Walshy's to try vintage sounding P basses. This did not have a vintage sound, but it did have one of the nicest necks I've ever played. It also looks so good in the flesh

35 minutes ago, ead said:

I saw a few of the Mini Makos hanging on the wall when I picked up my v2 recenty (obligatory pic below).  Sadly I was too pressed for time to try other basses but they looked very interesting.

498448621_NBD20201012.thumb.jpg.c6c2d8af7ea7036e6ccd3672a619af2a.jpg

It that the Chris tribute model? 

13 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

It that the Chris tribute model? 

Possibly.  He definitely has one (and did say he thought this was the better of the two).  I tried his bass at a guitar show a while back and was instantly impressed and started saving.  When I ordered it he did say he was making a batch of 3 but I didn't see any others around.