Why become a member? ×

1spot supply

ped

Hi folks

I need a power supply for my three pedals that run into my Roland

Future Impact

Source Audio C4

TC Ditto / other random pedal

Currentky all three have their own power supply (cheap jobs from local music shop) which work ok but they are slightly noisy when turned on with the pedal itself turned off. Luckily I can switch off the supplies when not using and there’s no noise at all. 

Would the 1Spot work for these guys and be quieter?

And does the 1spot come with a long daisy chain? I haven’t got the energy to work out the Bass Direct product page at the moment; it seems as though I can buy a bundle which is the charger plus cable?

Thanks, that’s what has me confused - the ‘combo pack’ which is more says it comes with an 8 plug cable, but there’s one pictured on that link too, so I assume it doesn’t actually come with one?! I might be going crazy but my brain can’t process it this evening 

4 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

Great plugs - I have 2

Agreed - only thing is they’re just moulded plastic so I have broken off one of the pins which is pretty frustrating given the price of them....so just be careful if they’re in and out or sockets / gig bags etc. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, dodge_bass said:

Agreed - only thing is they’re just moulded plastic so I have broken off one of the pins which is pretty frustrating given the price of them....so just be careful if they’re in and out or sockets / gig bags etc. 

Also they don't fit as snugly in UK mains sockets as they should. Mine, which was inside a rack case attached to a high quality mains distributor, worked it's way just loose enough for it to stop working randomly mid-performance, despite the fact it looked/felt as though it was still plugged in. Caused the rig I was using at the time to to go silent (including the PA feed) for no obvious reason having taken out both the wireless system and the Thumpinator - devices at either end of the signal chain. It was replaced with something more reliable before the next gig.

For home use it will be fine but I wouldn't use one at gigs unless it was fitted in an easily accessible place.

Yeah I read about problems with the plug. Mine will be home use only just to reduce the amount of cabling around my desk so I can keep an eye on it. One bonus is that the power block doesn’t ‘squeak’ like my cheap ones which emit a high pitched whistle when turned on. 

2 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

I have a couple which are great and have had lots of use at home, live, and in and out of studios. I've not personally experienced any issues with reliability. They do continue to hold a charge for a few seconds after being unplugged so it's easy to zap yourself if you're in a hurry. I did manage to get a couple of more jovial colleages with them once I first figured it out- felt like a kid who'd just been to a joke shop!

I did buy a combo pack which had a daisy chain- if I can find the box I'll take a snap and post the details, so you know what you're after. Visual Sound also sell them separately, so you might be able to pick up a One Spot and daisy chain from somewhere.

In fact, give me a tick, @ped- I think I have an unused Visual Sound daisy chain tucked away somewhere...

Agreed - I’ve never had issues with them working loose either but I don’t use them live any more so not so relevant for me. The combo pack is good value. 

I think that lack of snugness combined with the weight of the transformer in the plug and the fact that it was plugged into a horizontally mounted mains distribution board, all contributed to the failure. Normal 13A plugs on the end of IEC leads have all been fine. The worrying thing was that the 1-Spot only had to work itself a little way out of the socket before it no longer received any power. A quick feel inside the back of the rack, mid-gig didn't reveal anything amiss, but once I'd got everything home and checked it over the following day, it was obvious what had happened. 

Mine now provides power for the drummer's headphone amplifier. Now that it's no longer hidden away inside a rack case it's been fine. I think if I was going to use it in a rack system again, it would be glued/cable-tied into place to make sure there was no way it could move.

BTW I replaced the one in my rack with one of these which IIRC was actually cheaper, and for my needs much more reliable.