Why become a member? ×

Favour required from a TalkBass user - anyone on here able to help?

Alfie Noakes

I've been a Mod on another Forum for some decades, and posted a topic on TB in 2013 recommending in similar terms a splendid tome on the History of Hofner guitars and basses, including an Amazon link. That 'spam' post is still there. T'is a funny ol' world. -_-

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

I've been a Mod on another Forum for some decades, and posted a topic on TB in 2013 recommending in similar terms a splendid tome on the History of Hofner guitars and basses, including an Amazon link. That 'spam' post is still there. T'is a funny ol' world. -_-

Do you have a link as I'm doing some research at the mo 😉👍

15 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Did the author publicly ask you to post it though?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

God, those were the days. It was 2005 and I was just getting into Hofners big time, and there was this strange new Internet thing with bulletin boards and the first forums.

The second one I ever joined was Steve Russell's website where he was trying to pull together the first definitive source for all matters relating to vintage Hofners. I met (virtually) a large number of really nice, helpful, knowledgeable guys (including I suspect @Dad3353, maybe using a different Username?) and benefited enormously from their advice.

I have two of Steve's books on my shelf (both co-written with the equally excellent Nick Wass) but strangely enough not the one that is being linked to here.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

This seems to pose a problem to some, which intrigues me. What's the issue, as I'm at a loss to understand. :scratch_one-s_head:

That might arguably called "shilling" in my world, or more importantly in the TB CUP. Especially if you haven't actually read the book. It's a very subjective thing though, and I don't mean to impugn either you or Alfie at all. For me the real problem comes more from web review sites like Yelp where a restaurant owner recruits negative reviews for the competition in return for a free appetizer, or possibly undeserved glowing ones for his own joint. On Amazon one can sometimes get a two for one deal in return for a positive review, for example. 

29 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

God, those were the days...

Indeed. Too early for me; I got sucked in a few years later, and organised, for three consecutive years, the Hofner 'French Bash' (2012,13,14...). Folks came from the UK, Blegiup, France (of course...) and even a fellow from the US of A..! Here's a few pics of the First French Bash. Happy Daze...

Z7vMyxb.jpg 
vkNSEk2.jpg KCZvMuD.jpg

That's just some of the guitars brought; I still have a 'special' Verithin long-term lent to me by my Blegian friend..!

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Passinwind said:

That might arguably called "shilling" in my world, or more importantly in the TB CUP. Especially if you haven't actually read the book. It's a very subjective thing though, and I don't mean to impugn either you or Alfie at all. For me the real problem comes more from web review sites like Yelp where a restaurant owner recruits negative reviews for the competition in return for a free appetizer, or possibly undeserved glowing ones for his own joint. On Amazon one can sometimes get a two for one deal in return for a positive review, for example. 

OK, I see your point. It certainly doesn't apply to my posts, which are sincere recommendations, but I can understand how it would be difficult, or even impossible, to sort the chaff from the wheat. I'm too naïve, I suppose; whatever happened to Good Old Honest Trust And Faith..? :/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jezzaboy said:

Thats some pad you have there Dad. Right I`m moving to France!!

Ha..! It's a gite that I hired for a long week-end, especially for the occasion, to allow our guests to pass a reasonable time (four days...) together. Off-season, so low rates. Our pad..? Ha..! At that time, we didn't really have a roof..! :lol:

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Talkbass ... Talkbass ... oh yes, I remember them. Long time since I bothered to log in though. Most over-policed Forum I ever did encounter.

You have obviously never been on the Earnie Ball forum. Talk about anything they haven’t made and all hell breaks loose.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well I had seen your post at Talkbass, and got the paper book.

I took a photo with my bass next to it and was going to post last week just to say hi, thanks, and that I was having a great time reading your book, and was quite surprised as I couldn't find the article ... I saw only some google cache index links which were all not working... And I thought something like this would have happened.

As they've already said, it's really weird that there's not an easy way we can talk about the book in Talkbass! Quite unbelievable.

Anyway here's the stupid photo and thanks a lot for the book, it's a fine fun good read!

IMG_20201118_154004.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 22/11/2020 at 03:14, Happy Jack said:

Talkbass ... Talkbass ... oh yes, I remember them. Long time since I bothered to log in though. Most over-policed Forum I ever did encounter.

Haaa!!! I just got banned from talkbass!! Been in talkbass jail 2 or 3 times, this last time I was banned !! 

4 minutes ago, Alfie Noakes said:

I’m guessing you did something really shockingly bad....like trying to discuss a bass amp? Worse??

There is one particular brand of bass I think it is ugly. Someone asked what we dont like about xxxxxxx. I said "it's just plain ugly" the moderator must play that brand!! So, I am banned!!