Why become a member? ×

Favour required from a TalkBass user - anyone on here able to help?

Alfie Noakes

Fellow BCers, I could do with a trans-Atlantic favour (or favor, even). I recently self-published my book on playing bass in covers bands (Recovers, by Alfie Noakes). It’s been well received on here, so I though I’d launch in America, kinda. Up went the TalkBass post, a nice bit of interest and some sales followed, then a day later my thread was pulled as you’re not allowed to promote your own wares on TalkBass. I apologised to the mod for my oversight, and wept slightly as I saw I had 49 alerts on my thread, that I could no longer get to. Perhaps they were 49 cease and desist messages from the mods, or 49 people wanting to buy a copy - I’ll never know 😭

However, the mod did say that if someone were to ask me a question on TalkBass about my book, then it is permissible to reply, advise and discuss, or words to that effect. So, cutting to the quick, if someone here who has a profile over there, or even someone over there who has a profile over here, was to start a post on TalkBass about the link below, and include an @Alfie Noakes in the words, possibly asking me if it’s my book, and how did I get it published, and even how it’s selling, I’d be your best friend for like, forever.

This ain’t gonna make me rich, but it might fund a few purchases on here (pedals, if I’m lucky!). I’ve mulled over this, and don’t think it’s unethical, but if a BC mod feels otherwise, feel free to pull this thread too. Hey, I’m getting used to it 😎 

Here’s the Amazon US link, and thanks in advance to anyone who helps:

https://www.amazon.com/RECOVERS-bassist-covers-bands-survive-ebook/dp/B08CGY1V9X/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Alfie+noakes&qid=1605980716&sr=8-1

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mudpup said:

Can't you just become a supporting member on the Talkbass site? Doesn't that allow you to retail/promote on there?

Nope, it doesn't work that way. A supporting membership lets individuals not in the music business sell personal gear. Commercial users register as such and post under a  different code set out by the Commercial User Policy. I've been under those constraints for a few years now and it can be a substantial PITA. Pesonally, I'm pretty sure  this thread violates the spirit of the TB CUP rules in at least one way or another, but I'm sure the mods over there will sort it out soon enough, and it's most definitely not my call in any way. 😎

46 minutes ago, ped said:

I’d be interested to hear. I got a lifetime warning for saying ‘fosters’ on there years ago!!

So starting a thread calling them f**king c**ts for deleting the book recommendations would be frowned upon then. 🤔😄

Edited by Maude
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Alfie Noakes said:

Thanks for the help, guys, and my earnest apologies for the stinky poo-storm that it appears to have caused. I’d happily take your points, if I could.

Talkbass is evidently rather different to Basschat.

They've left at least one thread up, so best of luck to you with the book. In my case I had to become a Commercial User just to give away a free design I make no money from. But I did make my living in the music business service side for quite a few years, and there are some perks to being a CU as well.

Deleted. 'Spam' apparently. A book about being a bass player, written by a bass player, on a forum for bass players is spam. 

No need to go back there for ten or so more years then.

Ah well. If it helps, I've found getting reviews and marketing is the hardest part of writing a book, far harder than the actual writing part. I'm currently working on book number three, so should probably get off Basschat and actually go write 🙂

In all fairness having three or four new threads posted on the same day, recommending and encouraging purchases of a book, just after the authors thread had been deleted, all being posted by members of 'the other big bass forum', is pretty much the definition of spamming. 

Although those posters were TB members, it wouldn't take a genius to work out what's going and have a quick look on BC and find this thread, especially given the response by TB to the original thread by the author. 

Fair play for trying though but I feel to many threads were started in the rush to help. 

That said it's a shame TB is the way it is, but it is. 

• Like 3