Why become a member? ×

Shergold Marathon (black/maple) *SOLD*
£700
London

Clarky

Hi all, I bought this a few months back from BCer and Shergold aficionado @ash to scratch my Factory records itch. Unfortunately I simply cannot get on with the neck, as all my other basses are short scale. Ash had it refinned in black nitro due to the usual knackered Shergold paint issue. Underneath the bridge cover it has acquired some scratches and gouges from the ball ends of strings from changing strings (see pic). These cannot be seen with the cover in place. Generally vgc and weight is a lovely manageable 3 6kg/7.8 pounds.

Comes with a generic hard case and No gigbag but will be securely wrapped in bubble erm wrap and boxed if post required. Otherwise collection from SW London (Barnes). £600 plus post. Sorry no trades.

20201121_122139.jpg

20201121_122110.jpg

20201121_122100.jpg

20201121_122046.jpg

20201121_122035.jpg

20201121_122032.jpg

20201121_122021.jpg

20201121_122012.jpg

20201121_121939.jpg

Edited by Clarky
  • Like 7

One of the best basses ever made, if you like Precisions, have biggish hands, and wants something a lot cooler and usually a hell of a lot lighter, this is really worth trying. 

And what can we say about Clarky that hasn't already been said :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Beautiful - absolutely love these - fabulous British classic.  I'm the same - pretty much short scale only.  However, I'm intrigued by the stereo - I'm being a bit lazy here, I should just go and look - but is this configured E/A right and D/G left, or is there something else going on?  And more importantly, where's the dog?   

7 minutes ago, three said:

Beautiful - absolutely love these - fabulous British classic.  I'm the same - pretty much short scale only.  However, I'm intrigued by the stereo - I'm being a bit lazy here, I should just go and look - but is this configured E/A right and D/G left, or is there something else going on?  And more importantly, where's the dog?   

Yep, not like Ric-O-Sound. Great bass for psychedelic for disco octaves :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, three said:

Funnily enough these feel quite short scale, guess the body is a little smaller than a Precision or Jazz

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clarky said:

In answer to @three's question, from a PM from Ash : "the bass works with a mono jack. I’m not sure if the stereo was changed on later versions. It is stereo though."

Thanks Clarky, Beedster - a quick check and it looks like "The pickup is in effect two mini-humbuckers in the same casing. The stereo effect is derived by putting the pickup coils under the first and second strings on one channel and the third and fourth the other half of the pickup" (Vintage and Rare, 2020 https://www.vintageandrare.com/product/Shergold-Marathon-MK1a-Early-80s-White-26752) - this kind of makes sense but good to know that it operates in Mono too!

Edited by three
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, three said:

Thanks Clary, Beedster - a quick check and it looks like "The pickup is in effect two mini-humbuckers in the same casing. The stereo effect is derived by putting the pickup coils under the first and second strings on one channel and the third and fourth the other half of the pickup" (Vintage and Rare, 2020 https://www.vintageandrare.com/product/Shergold-Marathon-MK1a-Early-80s-White-26752) - this kind of makes sense but good to know that it operates in Mono too!

Trust me, the stereo output on a Marathon is a head flip, when I owned one whilst I could think of applications, none would be of any real use live or in the studio! Ric's version is far more usable (e.g., different PUPs through different amps/FX). Yamaha however have a similar system to Shergold on acoustic guitars, even 12-string, so I guess people do find a way of making it work effectively and musically. 

• Thanks 2

I bought the white one Ash had up on here recently. Nice and light and the neck is great and I don't have big hands. Lovely sound, that's very old school.

Proper old bass that easily competes with my JV and USA Precisions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

Funnily enough these feel quite short scale, guess the body is a little smaller than a Precision or Jazz

Yes I think that’s a good description of dachshunds. 

Lovely bass btw

Edited by oldslapper
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Paul S said:

That is sooooo nice.

Sigh.

When you say 'no trades' is that totally set in stone.....?

Thing is, I really like my other 3 basses (CIJ Mustang, Serek Grand, Alembic Spoiler) so I find it hard to think that anything else would grab my attention. Sorry!

• Like 1

Update: I found a hard bass case hidden away in my store/hide-everything-away room, so this will be included. Means couriers will have to work bl**dy hard to damage the bass in transit, too!

Edited by Clarky

14 minutes ago, Clarky said:

Update: I found a hard bass case hidden away in my store/hide-everything-away room, so this will be included. Means couriers will have to work bl**dy hard to damage the bass in transit, too!

I've still got a Precision in a case hidden away in my store/hide cupboard. Mrs itsmedunc won't be happy if she finds it 😂

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, three said:

Yes that’s right E/A one channel D/G on the other.

• Thanks 1