Jump to content

The bitsa thread


Beedster

Recommended Posts

P basses

BE7C8D7C-3192-42CA-A5C9-7E97C1A67F62.thumb.jpeg.72067b6047f57284d7acdd89fade5791.jpeg

Bottom is a repair and refurb of a damaged and cracked body and some neck pocket work to fit a hilimire neck (great necks)

Goldie is a Mighty Mite body blank painted and relic’d by me and an AllParts neck

Orange was an English swamp ash rough blank shaped and routed and coloured by me and a tele neck from the same factory that do AllParts

B0BAE14D-DADF-4D6E-BD4B-0CCEC2B69057.thumb.jpeg.2a48c461a97c3c605e54dac49957669d.jpeg

Black Limba block of wood shaped and contoured myself mostly by hand apart from finishing routs, P bass lyte neck I had hanging around was fitted (best neck pocket I have ever done). Great fun

Edited by Cuzzie
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 28/11/2020 at 13:15, JohnDaBass said:

Fender Stu Hamm Urge Ray

20201128_123503.thumb.jpg.3830385fc587ef45089af95ab31521b1.jpg

 

20201128_123456.thumb.jpg.b003158657117d5b1b81722f2173609a.jpg

 

 

I am really impressed with the range of tones on offer with the Harley Benton MM 84A body, but the control pots are your typical low cost Chinese variety. So I sent an email to Thomann Service department ( cheekily) asking for a copy of the circuit diagram or parts list for the Bass. Within 24hrs I received a PDF of the circuit with the values of the pots clearly shown. They reminded me that I would invalidate my 3 yrs. warranty if I did proceed to upgrade the pots. I did some Tinterweb  searching and discovered that the company supplying the preamp for the MM 84A designs and supplies preamps to C F Martin for their acoustic guitars. Another good endorsement for the quality of the parts used in the some of the Harley Benton basses.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is my bitsa. It’s my backup for my main bass in my band. I’m in the process of changing all the hardware to black. 
 

Unknown body bought for £20 about 5 years ago and refinished by me in surf green. It’s been bashed about a bit in those years.

Neck is a mighty mite jazz 

tuners (on the way)will be black hipshot hb7 as there the only ones I could find to fit without redrilling holes.

pickup is a G&L MFD as my other bass that I use in this band is a SB-2.

pickguard is by Tim at gigink.

Headstock decal says Franken precision 

this is tuned to drop C with Kallium strings  

5FD20688-B8C2-460B-B3AA-14C6E9BF9FEE.thumb.jpeg.443a0f07a9aa77212b46479744288107.jpeg5FD20688-B8C2-460B-B3AA-14C6E9BF9FEE.thumb.jpeg.443a0f07a9aa77212b46479744288107.jpeg

51B0E950-C3BA-4CE4-8E37-01626EC273B0.jpeg

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not in the same league as some of the glorious creations in this thread, but here's the PBass I put together as a lockdown project. Turned out better than expected considering every component was ultra-budget except he Kent Armstrong pickup. Makes a great racket. I also built a Telecaster. 

IMG_20200623_200813.jpg

IMG_20201117_104601.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...

Courtesy of Walshy for the stunning body, Lindy Fralin for the PUPs, Kiogon for the loom and an unknown manufacturer for the neck, this is on the basis of going back through photos my 19th bitsa build, and one of the best. Lightweight, resonant and articulate. 

 

image.thumb.png.95d8bb7abca4e5596ec794e5b578c934.png

Check out the wood.....

image.thumb.png.b3bc649391ca10bf8fd434b7ea5a6c6a.png

 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Commercial Member
On 10/07/2021 at 22:08, Beedster said:

Courtesy of Walshy for the stunning body, Lindy Fralin for the PUPs, Kiogon for the loom and an unknown manufacturer for the neck, this is on the basis of going back through photos my 19th bitsa build, and one of the best. Lightweight, resonant and articulate. 

 

image.thumb.png.95d8bb7abca4e5596ec794e5b578c934.png

Check out the wood.....

image.thumb.png.b3bc649391ca10bf8fd434b7ea5a6c6a.png

 

How lush does that look! Not that I am shocked having bought a bitsa or two from you before, looks stunning mate. The compliment of the natural neck is sublime. Glad it went to you mate,I knew you'd do it justice and thanks for the kind words about the body 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, walshy said:

How lush does that look! Not that I am shocked having bought a bitsa or two from you before, looks stunning mate. The compliment of the natural neck is sublime. Glad it went to you mate,I knew you'd do it justice and thanks for the kind words about the body 

Credit to you Paul, it's a breathtaking piece of timber and craftsmanship, almost feels alive! Funny how the moment I saw it I knew it had to be white PUPs though :) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My “nobody is going to pinch it” ‘51 p bass bitsa it weighs 7.5 lbs. It has a DiMarzio Will Power humbucker at the neck with a coil tap switch, a Seymour Duncan 1/4 pounder in the middle position and 4-way switching: neck & middle in series, middle solo, neck & middle in parallel, middle solo. The neck is an Allparts licensed ‘51 and the most expensive part of the build. The body is Obeche. It has through body stringing and a high mass bridge from China off eBay. Machine heads are Wilkinson. It sounds pretty good to my ears, if a little bright, which I guess is down to the Obeche body. 

09984129-AE4C-4267-81DC-C921F53692CE.jpeg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Obrienp said:

My “nobody is going to pinch it” ‘51 p bass bitsa it weighs 7.5 lbs. It has a DiMarzio Will Power humbucker at the neck with a coil tap switch, a Seymour Duncan 1/4 pounder in the middle position and 4-way switching: neck & middle in series, middle solo, neck & middle in parallel, middle solo. The neck is an Allparts licensed ‘51 and the most expensive part of the build. The body is Obeche. It has through body stringing and a high mass bridge from China off eBay. Machine heads are Wilkinson. It sounds pretty good to my ears, if a little bright, which I guess is down to the Obeche body. 

09984129-AE4C-4267-81DC-C921F53692CE.jpeg

I'd pinch it :)

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Beedster said:

I'd pinch it :)

Yep, you haven’t seen it up close. The picture flatters the finish on the body, which is dreadful. I used all water based, environmentally friendly products and they just come off with use and mark up really easy. Also the Obeche is really soft, so dings at the slightest knock.
 

I think I could leave it unattended at a pub gig and be confident that it would still be on its stand when I get back from the bar!😀

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Obrienp said:

I think I could leave it unattended at a pub gig and be confident that it would still be on its stand when I get back from the bar!😀

Would love to be able to say the same of our drummer :) 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...