Why become a member? ×

Performances that left you slack jawed

Barking Spiders

I saw Gang Of Four for the Songs Of The Free tour at Art Stock's Royal Manor, New Jersey. I don't dance but I think I drank one beer that night because I was a dervish. Hugo and Sara Lee belted out a beat you could build a cathedral on, Andy Gill made sounds The Edge never thought of...the most psychedelic dance experience I ever had with no chemicals involved. The whole place just shook with dance. Yeah, I was slack-jawed. Jon King was at his peak too, he sounded like Bowie

Edited by StickyDBRmf

This is absolutely amazing :

I also absolutely love Bill Fritzel on guitar, and unlike with Victor I love almost all the music Bill has been involved in (love the above tune though and The Flecktones, but everything Bill made is just astonishing beautiful).

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

• 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

Hearing this for the first time (and since)...

Back when I was 17, I already knew about apartheid from hearing a white South African* make some awful boasts about his youth in the country. I found this song remarkably empowering as it led me to learn more about Black South Africa and the idea that raising awareness could help lead to change**.

*My Dad was pleased to inform me that the guy in question met his karma as he had to be surgically castrated following a seaside accident involving slippery rocks.

**I ought to add that since those days and contrary to another song of the era, I have met nice (white, black and brown) South Africans.

Edited by Stub Mandrel

18 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Back when I was 17, I already knew about apartheid from hearing a white South African* make some awful boasts about his youth in the country. I found this song remarkably empowering as it led me to learn more about Black South Africa and the idea that raising awareness could help lead to change**.

*My Dad was pleased to inform me that the guy in question met his karma as he had to be surgically castrated following a seaside accident involving slippery rocks.

**I ought to add that since those days and contrary to another song of the era, I have met nice (white, black and brown) South Africans.

I was 17 when I first heard it. A mate bought the album and knew a bit about the situation in South Africa and told me more about it. As with you it was this song that led me to learn more about Apartheid (I became a member of Amnesty International as a result - actually physically writing letters in the pre-online/internet/email era!).

Again, like your good self (and in line with the other song of the era you’re referring to), since those days I too have also met nice South Africans! 

The Biko track is an amazing piece of music, IMVHO... 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, skb558 said:

Bruce Springsteen - solo acoustic, 1996; Row 8 Stalls (bang in front of mic stand), Birmingham Symphony Hall. 

Yup, first time I saw Springsteen was a defining moment for me - Newcastle City Hall, May 1981. Played for well over 3 hours including a solo acoustic section. The E Street Band were just phenomenal too, certainly one of the best gigs of my life.