Why become a member? ×

Robin Thicke.

bubinga5

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Personally, I think you might be missing something. The lyrics are ambiguous, but it has been suggested, not by me, that they are concerned with boundaries regarding consensual and non-consensual sex. I've seen more blatant lyrics from hard core rappers, so yes, I agree with you there. I find it hard to believe that all the 701 million hits from the video are just from males though.

Surely the clue is in the song title.😉

Still, yep, I know loads of women who love it. What that says I really don’t know. Maybe that they just want something to dance to and don’t care about the lyrics?

Hmm a couple of issues here.

1. Pharrell Williams wrote the lyrics not Thicke

2. There's loads of rock music, much of it made by big name acts- particularly from the 70s and 80s -  where not only are song lyrics overtly misogynistic/sexist so was their behaviour, to whit many notorious post-gig parties with groupies.

IMO it's an excellent performance all-round and the bass playing is top drawer.

Edited by Barking Spiders

Just now, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

That's the way the cookie crumbles in the legal system. It went as far as it could and can't heard again.

Oh I know. But the opening to Stairway is IMO more of a ripoff of Taurus than BL is of Got To Give It Up, which was intended as a tribute/pastiche anyway. In fact there is as much about Kiss by Prince that reminds me of GTGIU as BL.

I found it interesting that the jurors apparently weren’t allowed to listen to Taurus. 😉 And let’s face it, Jimmy has plenty of form.😂

9 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Hmm a couple of issues here.

1. Pharrell Williams wrote the lyrics not Thicke

2. There's loads of rock music, much of it made by big name acts- particularly from the 70s and 80s -  where not only are song lyrics overtly misogynistic/sexist so was their behaviour, to whit many notorious post-gig parties with groupies.

IMO it's an excellent performance all-round and the bass playing is top drawer.

Mmm - a couple of issues there....

1. Thicke sang it. I presume no-one was standing there with a gun to his head at the time.

2. What happened in the 70's and 80's doesn't justify what happens in 2012/13.

1 minute ago, 4000 said:

Oh I know. But the opening to Stairway is IMO more of a ripoff of Taurus than BL is of Got To Give It Up, which was intended as a tribute/pastiche anyway. In fact there is as much about Kiss by Prince that reminds me of GTGIU as BL.

I found it interesting that the jurors apparently weren’t allowed to listen to Taurus. 😉 And let’s face it, Jimmy has plenty of form.😂

The Blurred Lines/Got To Give It Up thing was a load of tosh.

I thought part of the reason the Stairway thing went on as long as it did was because, as you said, they weren't allowed to hear Taurus and that allowed the appeals.

9 minutes ago, Len_derby said:

You may say that Douglas, but I for one was shocked at his knowing references to the ‘pink toothbrush’ on Two-Way Family Favourites. 😉

Even more worrying is his rather shocking reference to “Two-way Family Favourites”, which I’m sure is a sub-genre of its own. 😂

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

The Blurred Lines/Got To Give It Up thing was a load of tosh.

I thought part of the reason the Stairway thing went on as long as it did was because, as you said, they weren't allowed to hear Taurus and that allowed the appeals.

I can only assume that it was the fact they weren’t allowed to listen to it that meant Jim & co got away with it. 😉Some of the defence was absolute tosh. “We’d never heard it, honest guv, don’t even know who Spirit were!”. 😂

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I can only assume that it was the fact they weren’t allowed to listen to it that meant Jim & co got away with it. 😉Some of the defence was absolute tosh. “We’d never heard it, honest guv, don’t even know who Spirit were!”. 😂

I dunno, I can't remember where I read it now, but I thought that was taken into account during the appeals. I know it matters not a jot what think, but yes, the descending pattern is very similar, but 'Taurus' ain't 'Stairway To Heaven'. It's the vocal and the hook at the end of that descending pattern that make it what it is. I'd have kicked it out of court too. YMMV of course.

Not getting into it about the lyrics to Blurred Lines, but I thought the court were wrong to rule in favour of Marvin Gaye's estate based on the 'feel' of the recording, ignoring what I thought were previous firm legal precedents.

Many experts felt the original verdict was a mistake, because it punished Thicke and Williams's song for copying the "feel" of Gaye's classic – an intangible quality – instead of directly plagiarising a sequence of notes, riff, lyrics or other musical phrases.

Circuit judge Jacqueline Nguyen said the two songs "differed in melody, harmony and rhythm" and said the verdict "strikes a devastating blow to future musicians and composers everywhere".

From: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/blurred-lines-final-verdict-copyright-case-court-robin-thicke-pharrell-marvin-gaye-payout-a8681381.html

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I dunno, I can't remember where I read it now, but I thought that was taken into account during the appeals. I know it matters not a jot what think, but yes, the descending pattern is very similar, but 'Taurus' ain't 'Stairway To Heaven'. It's the vocal and the hook at the end of that descending pattern that make it what it is. I'd have kicked it out of court too. YMMV of course.

I’m afraid MMDV. I love Stairway to bits, but taking all things into account (Shared bills together, Plant’s apparent love of Spirit, Jimmy’s history of ripping things off and attempting to pass them off as his own, as well as their defence which appeared to plead almost complete ignorance), I’m afraid I firmly believe they ripped it off. Yes, they then “developed” it, but if the mask and stripey jumper fits, as it usually does in Jimmy’s case.....😉

35 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I’m afraid MMDV. I love Stairway to bits, but taking all things into account (Shared bills together, Plant’s apparent love of Spirit, Jimmy’s history of ripping things off and attempting to pass them off as his own, as well as their defence which appeared to plead almost complete ignorance), I’m afraid I firmly believe they ripped it off. Yes, they then “developed” it, but if the mask and stripey jumper fits, as it usually does in Jimmy’s case.....😉

Oh, I completely agree Taurus was the genesis of Stairway. No denying that, but it’s a small descending pattern that Jimmy & Co ran a marathon with.

3 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Oh, I completely agree Taurus was the genesis of Stairway. No denying that, but it’s a small descending pattern that Jimmy & Co ran a marathon with.

Still someone else’s pattern though. As a songwriter, I don’t approve. If it really had been a complete coincidence, that would be different.