Why become a member? ×

Robin Thicke.

bubinga5

10 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

Sorry, but to me he will always be the W anchor who sang Blurred Lines.

Likewise. We used to cover that particular 'song' (as a segue with the Marvin Gaye original) and our frontlady rewrote the words to rip the vicious pish out of Thicke's dreadful misogyny. 

• Like 1

Is he? I’ve never met him. Blurred lines was a rubbish song but it has that in common with all sorts of over sexualised rubbish manufactured pop crap. Frankly I’m more ashamed that people bought and promoted it as a piece of music, not that the lyrics are a bit dodgy (far from the dodgiest!)

BTW it’s me on bass @bubinga5

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ped said:

Is he? I’ve never met him. Blurred lines was a rubbish song but it has that in common with all sorts of over sexualised rubbish manufactured pop crap. Frankly I’m more ashamed that people bought and promoted it as a piece of music, not that the lyrics are a bit dodgy (far from the dodgiest!)

BTW it’s me on bass @bubinga5

I'm with you on this. In fact at the time it was out I remember it being a real dance floor filler and didn't see any women walking away in disgust, far from it. However, that doesn't make it right, the lyrical content is awful, but there's been far worse so if I remember rightly it took a while after the sing had its peak for the disgust to get out there. Don't get me wrong, I don't approve and I even cringe whenever I hear a song with the word "b!tch" used by a man as a throw away replacement word for "woman". I just think it's odd how Robin Thicke has been the fall guy for it and Pharrel Williams walks away scott free making the odd apology for it, maybe he's the easier target, being the far less successful of the two. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

I'm with you on this. In fact at the time it was out I remember it being a real dance floor filler and didn't see any women walking away in disgust, far from it. However, that doesn't make it right, the lyrical content is awful, but there's been far worse so if I remember rightly it took a while after the sing had its peak for the disgust to get out there. Don't get me wrong, I don't approve and I even cringe whenever I hear a song with the word "b!tch" used by a man as a throw away replacement word for "woman". I just think it's odd how Robin Thicke has been the fall guy for it and Pharrel Williams walks away scott free making the odd apology for it, maybe he's the easier target, being the far less successful of the two. 

Very interesting point you make about Pharrel, which I hadn't really registered until you mentioned it.

But it's much easier to slag off white blokes though, isn't it? (And I say that as someone who isn't one). Fits folks' stereotypes much more comfortably. 

Literally never heard of him so I came to this thread without preconceptions. 

A minute or so in and I thought this is reminiscent of the Simply Red school of trying hard to be full of soul but just sounding lame and bilious. 

Great bass playing from Ped though. 

• Thanks 1

Not to defend it it but I've always been a bit surprised that 'Blurred Lines' caught the flack it did.

In terms of lyrical misogyny and reducing women to pure sex objects there are far worse 'Grime' tracks on the current Radio 1 playlist.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Very interesting point you make about Pharrel, which I hadn't really registered until you mentioned it.

But it's much easier to slag off white blokes though, isn't it? (And I say that as someone who isn't one). Fits folks' stereotypes much more comfortably. 

Maybe, I hadn't thought of that. But with him being responsible for a shed load of hits and being powerful and influential in music and beyond and Robin Thicke who nobody outside his family had heard of before that song... I just thought "easy fall guy" there. 

I wasn't familiar with "Blurred lines" so I YT'ed it. 

Sorry, but am I missing something? I don't think that the lyrics are any more misogynistic than many other tunes out there. Songs have been suggestive since forever and haven't been criticised. Hasn't that been the nature of Rock'n'roll?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I wasn't familiar with "Blurred lines" so I YT'ed it...

Ignoramus, too, so I, too, looked up the lyrics. I wish I hadn't. :( There's some sick folks out there. I'll not be listening to that, nor any other stuff of similar ilk if I can avoid it. Beurck..! h5XXwJ5.gif

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I wasn't familiar with "Blurred lines" so I YT'ed it. 

Sorry, but am I missing something? I don't think that the lyrics are any more misogynistic than many other tunes out there. Songs have been suggestive since forever and haven't been criticised. Hasn't that been the nature of Rock'n'roll?

Personally, I think you might be missing something. The lyrics are ambiguous, but it has been suggested, not by me, that they are concerned with boundaries regarding consensual and non-consensual sex. I've seen more blatant lyrics from hard core rappers, so yes, I agree with you there. I find it hard to believe that all the 701 million hits from the video are just from males though.

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Personally, I think you might be missing something. The lyrics are ambiguous, but it has been suggested, not by me, that they are concerned with boundaries regarding consensual and non-consensual sex. I've seen more blatant lyrics from hard core rappers, so yes, I agree with you there. I find it hard to believe that all the 701 million hits from the video are just from males though.

Whatever; I'm just glad that if that what it takes to get millions of 'hits', I'm well pleased with the 6 hits on my You-tube stuff. Max Bygraves didn't need stuff like that to be popular. It's sick cr@p, and that's all. ¬¬