Why become a member? ×

3 Leaf Octavbre....

knicknack

Plenty of buzz about the new OC-5, but less about the new mini dual-switch Octavbre... anybody picked one up? Strongly considering placing an order myself. Interested to hear peoples thoughts on this or the previous, not sure if the actual circuit is different! 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, knicknack said:

Plenty of buzz about the new OC-5, but less about the new mini dual-switch Octavbre... anybody picked one up? Strongly considering placing an order myself. Interested to hear peoples thoughts on this or the previous, not sure if the actual circuit is different! 

It’s roughly the same, with separate wet/dry volume controls as opposed to the old vol/mix arrangement. Spencer reckons it tracks a bit better too.

I’ll be checking it out as I loved the MKII. @charlietuna has bought one but hasn’t had chance to get his hands on it yet. 

I’d like to get one but don’t want to send Bass Direct my custom if I can avoid it. 

@Quatschmacher the only UK stockist arn't they? Mark says the next batch will be December, if anyone has bought one and doesn't love it i'd be happy to take it off their hands. Been hoping for a small two switch OC for ages! Currently using a COG, bit of a different beast though. The new Markbass one is awesome too....

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, knicknack said:

@Quatschmacher the only UK stockist arn't they? Mark says the next batch will be December, if anyone has bought one and doesn't love it i'd be happy to take it off their hands. Been hoping for a small two switch OC for ages! Currently using a COG, bit of a different beast though. The new Markbass one is awesome too....

Unfortunately they are the only UK stockist so unless I find a used one, I’ll be forced to get one from there. 

I've got one of the original models which I got pretty early on . I love it, and I've used it on nearly every gig in the last 5 years or so. It might not be quite as subby as my old OC2, but it's the closest octave pedal that I've heard. I like that I can have use it for that classic Pino style sound and then solo the sub without having to turn anything.  I normally have it on the OC2 side but I was talking to Tim, and he said that lately he'd been using it a more towards the Mutron side, which gives a grittier sound.

It's my favourite pedal by a long way.

1 hour ago, Doddy said:

I've got one of the original models which I got pretty early on . I love it, and I've used it on nearly every gig in the last 5 years or so. It might not be quite as subby as my old OC2, but it's the closest octave pedal that I've heard. I like that I can have use it for that classic Pino style sound and then solo the sub without having to turn anything.  I normally have it on the OC2 side but I was talking to Tim, and he said that lately he'd been using it a more towards the Mutron side, which gives a grittier sound.

It's my favourite pedal by a long way.

The MKII is really subby with the Tim tuning mode. 

Definitely interested in what the new one is like.  Won’t buy one new and put money in Spencer’s pocket for “reasons” but I do like the look of them and the separate volumes are a must for sure, may keep a cheeky eye on the classifieds...

• 2 weeks later...

I have the MK11 and really like it. Have not tried the new version but 3 leaf updates their pedals alot. Nothing wrong I guess but it always makes you want the new version. In a live situation its hard to say one is better than the other when you have the newer OC-5 and the very impressed EBS studio octave model. But there is something about the older OC2. The 3 leaf MK11 and Im sure the MK3 get very close. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2020 at 06:56, 4&5 String said:

I have the MK11 and really like it. Have not tried the new version but 3 leaf updates their pedals alot. Nothing wrong I guess but it always makes you want the new version. In a live situation its hard to say one is better than the other when you have the newer OC-5 and the very impressed EBS studio octave model. But there is something about the older OC2. The 3 leaf MK11 and Im sure the MK3 get very close. 

Like the Apple of OC-2 clones... 

I'm still sorely tempted but i've seen a few shots of the new ones having some fairly major cosmetic issues, labelling coming off and the finish tarnishing very quickly. I'd rather wait and see a few batches and some gig-time down the line before dropping that kind of money!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 07/12/2020 at 19:50, Quatschmacher said:

Post some clips when you get chance please. 

On 24/12/2020 at 04:58, Quatschmacher said:

Bit the bullet and ordered a new one. No idea when I might get it though. 

So is there a difference between the M2 and M3 except for the sizes?

57 minutes ago, 4&5 String said:

So is there a difference between the M2 and M3 except for the sizes?

I own the Mk 1 and Mk 3 but not the Mk 2, so can't comment too much on the latter. BUT the Mk 3 is like a 'best of' of the previous versions: it has the same octave tone knob as the 1 and 2; same solo foot switch as the Mk1; Tim tuning from the Mk 1 version 2; sub volume from the Mk 1; small enclosure of the Mk 2.

What's different from all the previous versions is that it has separate volumes for the dry and octave signals, so you have a bit more control there. I also A/B'd my Mk1 and Mk3 and noticed that the octave tones are quite different, the Mk1 is smoother, and sounds better solo'd, (to me at least) but that's really splitting hairs.

Note on version names: on the 3 Leaf website he calls the first 2 large footprint pedals the Mk 1 and Mk 2, the difference being the addition of the Tim tuning mod, and the small one is simply called the Octabvre mini. The newest pedal is just called the Octabvre, he doesn't give it a number on the site or on the box/manual.

I noticed I said I would do a demo of it... sorry! I might have some time this week.

Edited by bassist_lewis
  • Like 3

Shame can imagine the anticipation for the pedal. I am so curious how different it will be from the M11 version. Im keeping the mk2 for awhile. Still like it and it fulfils my needs. I bought the proton 2 and a few months later the proton 3 comes out. Now he is up to proton 4. Can't keep up.

• 1 month later...