Why become a member? ×

Newly built basschat 112 cab

martyy

I've just finished this basschat 112 cab:

image.thumb.png.7c433bf697bacab0ecfc95e562b9ecbd.png

It's a slight variant in that it is built using 12mm birch ply and it is using the Beyma SM212 speaker with no tweeter/horn. It had its first test run last night at rehearsal where it sounded much better than the studio's Hartke combo I typically use there, a lot more focus and clarity. It was able to keep up with our weightlifter drummer and two guitarists too. Very happy with it.

Thanks to all the folks who worked hard to create the design and produce such professional drawings to follow. I think I've caught the bug now - I want to build another, maybe a 8 or 10 inch for practicing :)

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, martyy said:

It's a slight variant in that it is built using 12mm birch ply and it is using the Beyma SM212 speaker with no tweeter/horn. It had its first test run last night at rehearsal where it sounded much better than the studio's Hartke combo I typically use there, a lot more focus and clarity. It was able to keep up with our weightlifter drummer and two guitarists too. Very happy with it.

Thanks to all the folks who worked hard to create the design and produce such professional drawings to follow. I think I've caught the bug now - I want to build another, maybe a 8 or 10 inch for practicing :)

Don't rush into it. You might find a 10" design on hereat some point. @stevie

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

Don't rush into it. You might find a 10" design on hereat some point. @stevie

Oh interesting. I'll look forward to that! I took a quick look into it myself but it seems more difficult to find a suitable 10" driver (not that I know too much about it really).

2 hours ago, martyy said:

Great work , looks very professional, excellent finish. Any chance of a couple of pixs showing the baffle? The Beyma SM212 is a great speaker. Congrats

1 minute ago, JohnDaBass said:

Great work , looks very professional, excellent finish. Any chance of a couple of pixs showing the baffle? The Beyma SM212 is a great speaker. Congrats

Here's the baffle. I just painted it with some old spray paint I had. The white port doesn't show through the grill so I didn't bother attempting to paint. The grill was recycled from an old Marcus berry cab I had.

IMG_20201119_164500.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, martyy said:

Here's the baffle. I just painted it with some old spray paint I had. The white port doesn't show through the grill so I didn't bother attempting to paint. The grill was recycled from an old Marcus berry cab I had.

IMG_20201119_164500.jpg

I've got the wood parts in the garage all ready to put together into a sub variant of the BCcab :D 

1 minute ago, LukeFRC said:

I've got the wood parts in the garage all ready to put together into a sub variant of the BCcab :D 

The hardest part for me was making the cuts accurately and squarely enough with just a cheap circular saw. I had to make some 'adjustments' along the way. After that it was mostly just the problem of never having enough clamps :)

I've just bought a track saw to make things easier next time.

Nice work! That Beyma driver is a classic and works well in that box.

I agree about getting straight, square cuts - it's so important but not easy. If you're short of clamps, you can always use panel pins or self-drilling screws - remove and fill the the holes once the glue has dried.

On 20/11/2020 at 15:24, stevie said:

Nice work! That Beyma driver is a classic and works well in that box.

I agree about getting straight, square cuts - it's so important but not easy. If you're short of clamps, you can always use panel pins or self-drilling screws - remove and fill the the holes once the glue has dried.

I built another of @stevie's kits about two weeks ago and had just found some longish panel pins. I decided to use them to help keep the cabinet rigid whil the glue dried. It worked really well and allowed me to to put the cab together much quicker. Once the glue had dried I used a nail punch to push the heads of the panel pins below the surface and then filles the holes with a mixture od wood dust and glue.Of the  five cabinets I have built since the start of the Mk2 development (I built the original prototype) this was the easiest.

• Like 1

There you go. I actually nicked the idea of panel pins from Chienmort, although the self-drilling screws idea was my own. They sometimes work better than clamps. If you leave the panel pins in, just be careful if you're using a router to round off the cabinet edges.

10 minutes ago, stevie said:

There you go. I actually nicked the idea of panel pins from Chienmort, although the self-drilling screws idea was my own. They sometimes work better than clamps. If you leave the panel pins in, just be careful if you're using a router to round off the cabinet edges.

Yes, if you want a big roundover, use screws and remove them once the glue has dried and fill the holes.

1 hour ago, Chienmortbb said:

I built another of @stevie's kits about two weeks ago and had just found some longish panel pins. I decided to use them to help keep the cabinet rigid whil the glue dried. It worked really well and allowed me to to put the cab together much quicker. Once the glue had dried I used a nail punch to push the heads of the panel pins below the surface and then filles the holes with a mixture od wood dust and glue.Of the  five cabinets I have built since the start of the Mk2 development (I built the original prototype) this was the easiest.

you got two now with the horn? Or one sub one?