Why become a member? ×

Reamping for setting up amps and effects

adamg67

I know this will only apply to people who've got a recording setup, and that it will be old news to some people as well, but reamping is definitley my new favourite thing for playing with gear at home.

About 6 months ago I bought a Palmer Daccapo Re-Amplification Box (a reamper) for recording through my MB Multiamp or my pedalboard, and it has turned out to be one of the handiest things I own. I got it mainly for recording through the gear I already have and would use to jam, rehearse or gig, rather than using virtual amps and fidning that the time spent playing with them for recording was wasted when it came to other things. I always could record through my physical gear but then couldn't go back and tweak amp or effect settings, and obviously that's what reamping is great for.

I did have the thought it might help getting the gear set up so they're ready to use when I need them. I'm not in a gigging band at the moment but was putting some feelers out before lockdown and I'm sure I will be again at some point, or at least working on projects with other people and jamming and rehearsing. I also don't seem to be able to resist trying out new pedals, and lots of words have been written on basschat about how your "bedroom" tone isn't the same as playing with a band. The reamper really helps with that.

If I want to play with my tone, I'll get some drums and guitar down (or piano, or whatever suits) and leave them pretty much unprocessed, and then record some completely dry bass, EQ flat on the bass (I like to leave the bass EQ for adjusting things on the fly if needed). Then I'll play it back through the reamper and whetever gear I want to set up, so now I can hear how it sounds in the mix with other instruments, and I can sit and twiddle knobs and play with effects while I'm listening. If I want to check two pedals back to back against each other I can record the reamped track twice, once with each and then just switch between them.

I'm already noticing the difference when I go to record stuff, the presets I've got on the multiamp and the way I've got my pedals set up get me much closer to a good tone. I'm about to drop new pickups in my main bass and redoing the multiamp presets will be a doddle.

One thing that's pretty key is getting the reamping output volume the same as the volume from the bass, otherwise you won't get the same sound when you use the gear for real, but I've got that worked out now - that's one thing in favour of a proper reamping box like the Palmer as it has a control for the output volume (you can re-amp with a passive DI in reverse but dont' get to control the volume). I've tried playing straight through the amp and my little fly rig pedalboard and the tone I've worked on is still there.

The other key thing for things like jamming or rehearsing where there's no PA is that the speaker I use is a Barefaced Big Baby so it's flat response, and I get my speaker tone from cab sims in the multiamp or the IR loader on my fly rig. Playing the mutliamp through the BF really does give the same tone, same with the fly rig using the multiamp just as  a power amp. It works really well and neither setup weighs much either. My load in for a gig nowadays would probably involve a small bag over one shoulder and my bass in the same hand, and some of the drummers gear in the other hand :)

It just feels like suddenly I can get my gear set up quickly and have it work in the mix, which always felt like a guessing game before. The only downside is that now I feel like it's worth buying and trying pedals, but I'm pretty good at only keeping a few(ish), no, really, I am!

Edited by adamg67

39 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I do this too, but all inside my helix.

Helix is also an 8 in / 8 out interface and USB 7 defaults to being just the di signal. I play with helix tones for no latency and also alway record the di track at the same time.

Hen I either reamp in helix, or native, or in a different plugin. 

Nice.