Why become a member? ×

Getting started with building

wintoid

I had a quick search, but not really sure what to search for.  I was hoping there might be a sticky with some basic information about how to get started with building basses.  So just a few really basic questions if no one minds...

Is there a good resource for learning about what the problems are, and how to resolve them?  For example, if I wanted to buy a graphite Status neck and fit it to a Jazz body of some sort, what do I need to look out for when choosing components, and is it as simple as bolting it together, or what is likely to go wrong?

Secondly, just at a high level, do you need high levels of dexterity and great carpentry skills to do this stuff, or is it more like lego/meccano and you just bolt it all together and off you go?

5 hours ago, wintoid said:

I had a quick search, but not really sure what to search for.  I was hoping there might be a sticky with some basic information about how to get started with building basses.  So just a few really basic questions if no one minds...

Is there a good resource for learning about what the problems are, and how to resolve them?  For example, if I wanted to buy a graphite Status neck and fit it to a Jazz body of some sort, what do I need to look out for when choosing components, and is it as simple as bolting it together, or what is likely to go wrong?

Secondly, just at a high level, do you need high levels of dexterity and great carpentry skills to do this stuff, or is it more like lego/meccano and you just bolt it all together and off you go?

For the first part of your question;  There is a fair bit of instruction within these build diaries.  You get posts from members with rudimentary skills all the way up to pro luthiers.  Time would be well spent here.  YouTube, of course, is another great resource.  Parts rarely fit together straight from the factory so some amount of fitting is involved when buying loaded bodies and neck sub assemblies.

For the second part;  You can start out simple with a kit.  I did this and learned a lot from the process.  It will almost certainly give you a thirst for more.  From there you can go as far as your ambition takes you given access to good timber and tools, either hand or machine.  There's plenty of scope for creativity.  It's not quite like Meccano but, as mentioned in the first part, it is possible to get playable results from off the shelf items with a little bit of fettling.

I wish you a lot of joy with it.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

For the first part of your question;  There is a fair bit of instruction within these build diaries.  You get posts from members with rudimentary skills all the way up to pro luthiers.  Time would be well spent here.  YouTube, of course, is another great resource.  Parts rarely fit together straight from the factory so some amount of fitting is involved when buying loaded bodies and neck sub assemblies.

For the second part;  You can start out simple with a kit.  I did this and learned a lot from the process.  It will almost certainly give you a thirst for more.  From there you can go as far as your ambition takes you given access to good timber and tools, either hand or machine.  There's plenty of scope for creativity.  It's not quite like Meccano but, as mentioned in the first part, it is possible to get playable results from off the shelf items with a little bit of fettling.

I wish you a lot of joy with it.

Thanks, much appreciated.  I'll hang out here and read up!

• Like 1

Status have a pdf about fitting their neck... plus detail on their site about neck pocket size.

You then have some dimensions to look for in regard to a body.. then as mentioned, maybe a little fine sanding...

Pickups may be slightly different in corner radius from a Seymore Duncan to another brand, bridges may differ in string spacing...

What other bits are you looking at?

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

I read this book before diving in 

http://www.melvynhiscock.com/

and found it very helpful, having said that, i think by browsing this forum, and (dare i say it) Talkbass or TDPRI which have build your own sections, i think you would pick up lots of useful information

The other thing is post your efforts and ask questions, people like nothing better than helping out and passing on tips 

Enjoy what you do 

Edited by rubis
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulThePlug said:

Status have a pdf about fitting their neck... plus detail on their site about neck pocket size.

You then have some dimensions to look for in regard to a body.. then as mentioned, maybe a little fine sanding...

Pickups may be slightly different in corner radius from a Seymore Duncan to another brand, bridges may differ in string spacing...

What other bits are you looking at?

Thanks, I'm basically nowhere so far, just thinking about it.  I like a graphite neck, that much I know, and probably a narrow jazz one sounds good to me.  I need to learn I think.

16 minutes ago, rubis said:

I read this book before diving in 

http://www.melvynhiscock.com/

and found it very helpful, having said that, i think by browsing this forum, and (dare i say it) Talkbass or TDPRI which have build your own sections, i think you would pick up lots of useful information

The other thing is post your efforts and ask questions, people like nothing better than helping out and passing on tips 

Enjoy what you do 

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Building a body around a neck is pretty easy, it's how I've worked on my most recent builds. Just use a pair of straight edges to create a router jig conforming to the neck width. Add some masking tape on this inside to reduce the cut by a hair and you'll get a nice tight fit.

2020-11-20 14.18.04.jpg

• Like 1