Why become a member? ×

Ampeg Goes Pop...

Old Man Riva

I’ve an Ampeg B-15 Heritage which tonight went ‘pop’ and then ended up emitting an angry humming sound?!

What I know of tubes, valves, repairs and such can be written on the back of a (very tiny) postage stamp so I’ve been scouring the internet for repairers in the Loughton/Essex area.

I found a company called Essex Amp Repairs that look promising so wondered if anyone has used them at all?

Thanks in advance, fellow BC-ers! 

I would take advice from here first, tubed going pop is not unusual, and not especially problematic on that amp. 

I see you live in Essex. Another option you have is to give up on tube amps altogether and allow me to help you out, drive up and take it off your hands, thereby stopping any future costs associated with such a dated amp :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've used Essex Amp Repairs a couple of times and, tbh, wasn't that pleased with what they did.  I can say the same for some repairs they have recently done on a couple of amps I know of that clearly had faults they were unable or reluctant to spend time identifying.

I would unhesitatingly recommend Electronic Music Services  They sorted out my Mesa Boogie prodigy 4:88 when it blew a fuse and took half the pcb with it.  Cost me an arm and a leg, mind you, but that wasn't their fault.

But recently I have become more acquainted with a chap called Leighton Jennings and he is now my go-to guy for everything.  He is a one man band working out of his garage, makes guitars and amps, repairs them, top bloke.  Also vintage record players!

Both are nearer than Witham, too!

• Like 2

Hi Old Man Riva

firstly, congratulations on your choice of amp !

First place to start, there were two versions of the B15 Heritage, the first was point to point wired,  then Ampeg made the Heritage B15n, which was pcb based. Any idea which one you have ?

Next question, did any fuses blow ?

Mike.

Edited by Chimike
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

I would take advice from here first, tubed going pop is not unusual, and not especially problematic on that amp. 

I see you live in Essex. Another option you have is to give up on tube amps altogether and allow me to help you out, drive up and take it off your hands, thereby stopping any future costs associated with such a dated amp :)

You, sir, are a modern day saint!

1 hour ago, Paul S said:

I've used Essex Amp Repairs a couple of times and, tbh, wasn't that pleased with what they did.  I can say the same for some repairs they have recently done on a couple of amps I know of that clearly had faults they were unable or reluctant to spend time identifying.

I would unhesitatingly recommend Electronic Music Services  They sorted out my Mesa Boogie prodigy 4:88 when it blew a fuse and took half the pcb with it.  Cost me an arm and a leg, mind you, but that wasn't their fault.

But recently I have become more acquainted with a chap called Leighton Jennings and he is now my go-to guy for everything.  He is a one man band working out of his garage, makes guitars and amps, repairs them, top bloke.  Also vintage record players!

Both are nearer than Witham, too!

Thanks Paul, really helpful. I like the look of Leighton Jennings so may give him a call tomorrow.

49 minutes ago, Chimike said:

Hi Old Man Riva

firstly, congratulations on your choice of amp !

First place to start, there were two versions of the B15 Heritage, the first was point to point wired,  then Ampeg made the Heritage B15n, which was pcb based. Any idea which one you have ?

Next question, did any fuses blow ?

Mike.

Hi Mike, it's the B-15N model. Looks great and sounds even better - to these ears, at least! Embarrassingly I've no idea whether a fuse blew or not - it was still on and making an odd growling noise after the 'pop', if that helps?!

• Like 1

Ok,

When you so "on ", do you mean it still made music, (plus the growl ), or just growled ?

So there maybe two versions of the B15n, one had a single fuse on the back, apart from the mains fuse, and the other version had 4 fuses ( plus the mains ) .   First thing  ,when the amp is unplugged , is to check the fuses, if it has the four. 

Edited by Chimike

17 minutes ago, Chimike said:

Ok,

When you so "on ", do you mean it still made music, (plus the growl ), or just growled ?

So there maybe two versions of the B15n, one had a single fuse on the back, apart from the mains fuse, and the other version had 4 fuses ( plus the mains ) .   First thing  ,when the amp is unplugged , is to check the fuses, if it has the four. 

The amp was still on (powered up with the lights on) but with a growl and no sound (i.e. when I hit the strings nothing came through the speaker). I’ve had a look and there are four fuses...

• 3 weeks later...

As an update... the B-15 is now back!

As stated above I took it to Sickamps in Harlow following the recommendation from jimmy23cricket above - thanks to Jimmy for the recommendation!

It turns out that one of the output valves had failed/shorted. Sickamps replaced the matched pair of output valves and also the rectifier valve. They also rebiased and cleaned all pots etc. with DeOxit cleaner and generally gave the B-15 a good going over.

It sounds amazing!

I bought it second hand from Guitar Guitar a few years back (a new one would have been too cost prohibitive) and, whilst it had sounded good, it always buzzed and crackled a bit. Also the ‘66 bias appeared to be on the trebly side, lacking bass - I assumed this was the sound so always opted for the warmer ‘64 bias!

There are now no buzzes or crackles at all, and the ‘66 bias, whilst brighter than the ‘64 bias, now has real depth to it.

As I say, I couldn’t be more happy with the outcome or impressed with the service...

Top marks to Sickamps!! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1