Why become a member? ×

Westfield ???

Scatamonky

Hi All,

I bought this Westfield bass in around '97 - I've been playing it in every band I've been in since and I absolutely love it. It has always bemused me that there is no model number or markings of any kind other than the word Westfield.

I have also never seen another one....or any Westfield bass with a pickup switch which makes this one very unusual.

Have any of you ever seen one, played one? Know anything about it?

Westfield are now discontinued and although I did find their old website on Webarchives there is no mention of this bass anywhere!

I appreciate any info any of you might have! :)

Westfield Bass Guitar.jpg

A quick google shows similar models with 3x pots

What are your pots doing? VVT, VBT? 3 position Switch?

If 'blend' it may be an AC taper pot and someone fitted a switch so you can have both pickups at full(ish) output.

Easier to just swap the pot for a switch, thinking about it, it's what i could of done on my SR...

Edited by PaulThePlug

This was sold to me as a Westfield, but with no markings, pots were two volumes and one tone.

It was fretted, but I bought it cheap - less than £30 (that’s why I wasn’t bothered about formal identification) - and de-fretted it.  Enjoyed it, but I’d “been there, done that” with fretless, so sold it.

A0224738-532B-4B6A-BFB3-F67A5C5D80CC.jpeg

Edited by Baxlin
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

A quick google shows similar models with 3x pots

What are your pots doing? VVT, VBT? 3 position Switch?

If 'blend' it may be an AC taper pot and someone fitted a switch so you can have both pickups at full(ish) output.

Easier to just swap the pot for a switch, thinking about it, it's what i could of done on my SR...

Yes - a volume for each pickup, a tone that covers both and a 3 position switch. 

18 hours ago, shoulderpet said:

Interesting, looks a lot like a Tanglewood Rebel but not quite the same, I wonder if they were made in the same factory

Yes - it is very similar to the Rebel, but mine has the 3 position switch - it's a subtle difference I'll admit. Other than that I wouldn't be surprised if you're right and they were made in the same factory

On 18/11/2020 at 17:30, Scatamonky said:

Hi All,

I bought this Westfield bass in around '97 - I've been playing it in every band I've been in since and I absolutely love it. It has always bemused me that there is no model number or markings of any kind other than the word Westfield.

I have also never seen another one....or any Westfield bass with a pickup switch which makes this one very unusual.

Have any of you ever seen one, played one? Know anything about it?

Westfield are now discontinued and although I did find their old website on Webarchives there is no mention of this bass anywhere!

I appreciate any info any of you might have! :)

Westfield Bass Guitar.jpg

I have the exact same bass sat on top of the wardrobe.  Purchased around the same time.  May have to get it out and give it a whirl.

• 10 months later...
On 19/11/2020 at 05:46, Baxlin said:

This was sold to me as a Westfield, but with no markings, pots were two volumes and one tone.

It was fretted, but I bought it cheap - less than £30 (that’s why I wasn’t bothered about formal identification) - and de-fretted it.  Enjoyed it, but I’d “been there, done that” with fretless, so sold it.

A0224738-532B-4B6A-BFB3-F67A5C5D80CC.jpeg

That’s a stagg bc300fl (sometimes branded as east coast or Manhattan)

Edited by AndyTravis