Why become a member? ×

Session Sessionette 410B

Prosebass

Has anyone any experience with this combo.
There is one on ebay at the moment but it will mean a day out and £50.00 in fuel to pick it up so any comments welcome.
I only need it for home use and the odd bass bash, practice round a mates etc...

[quote name='Prosebass' post='438450' date='Mar 18 2009, 04:51 PM']Has anyone any experience with this combo.
There is one on ebay at the moment but it will mean a day out and £50.00 in fuel to pick it up so any comments welcome.
I only need it for home use and the odd bass bash, practice round a mates etc...[/quote]

I had one for a short time - it made a damn good guitar amp............

You'd need an extension speaker to get the full power rating, I believe - you did on the one I had (75).

And at 75/100W it's only a practice amp, as far as I'm concerned.

Might suit what you want it for, tho'.

G.

I have the 1x12 which is 75W (100W with extn. spkr.). I bought it used about ten years ago. Only ever used it for practice. I had a problem at first with it cutting out but found a dry joint (solder type!) in the power supply components and fixed it very easily. It's been fine ever since. The vol and gain pots can get a bit crackly but some switch cleaner usually sorts it. Good range of tones with a notch filter and compression switch as well as the graphic. Has plenty of sockets on the back including a controlled monitor output and a straight output which could go to a power amp. Also has a jack (unbalanced DI out). Did also find a downloadable handbook online somewhere a couple of years ago.
Depending on the price it could be worthwhile for practice/ small gigs with extension/ linked to PA or power amp. Over the years I've seen some on ebay for sensible prices and some way over the top. In my view they are not worth a lot oif money but good nevertheless.

Graham

I has one for years.
Good eq and pre-shape, compressor ok, I found it JUST loud enough in a 2guitar + kbds drums lineup, but it gets a bit flappy near the top of the volume range.
The pre-amp is very quiet for direct recording.
Fairly light weight and managable for a 4x10.
A +1 on the cutting out too, easy to fix. Its well worth going over the power amp stage and reflowing the caps, power resistors and fuse holders to prevent cut outs and crackles and some other sounds that sound like a speaker giving up, but isnt! I'd stick the caps down with hot glue gun or epoxy as it is the vibration that does the solder joints in.

Jules

I had a Sessionette 4x10 for years in the late 80s.

I loved it!

Mine was the cloth covered one and I really regret selling it.
I paid £350 for mine new and sold it for the same amount. :)

Edited by Twigman

co-incedentally it appears I sold mine to MoonBassAlpha !!
I didn't know he was here and haven't seen him for the best part of 20 years and we post on the same thread about the same amp within minutes of each other.

Small world this interweb thing ain't it?

Edited by Twigman

[quote name='Twigman' post='442384' date='Mar 23 2009, 01:13 PM']I had a Sessionette 4x10 for years in the late 80s.

I loved it!

Mine was the cloth covered one and I really regret selling it.
I paid £350 for mine new and sold it for the same amount. :)[/quote]
I know it was a long time ago, but I thought I paid £180 for it.
Anyhow, it served well. I think it would probably sound good with an extra 15" cab plugged in, though I never tried it.
Might just give it the oomph at the bottom end it needs when played loud!

i've borrowed many a bass amp at gigs before (always by prior arrangement i must add !), but i still remember a sessionette 4x10 (prolly like the one you've your eye on) i played through in about 1990 as being one of the best-sounding.

good luck !!!

I had the 1x15 version yonks back.. my first 'serious' bass amp (looong time ago :) ) which did me proud for quite some time, especially with an extension 15 fo gigs.
I saw this on Ebay and was tempted by nostalgia.. if it's all working fine then it gets my vote!

[quote name='ahpook' post='445566' date='Mar 25 2009, 11:07 PM']i've borrowed many a bass amp at gigs before (always by prior arrangement i must add !), but i still remember a sessionette 4x10 (prolly like the one you've your eye on) i played through in about 1990 as being one of the best-sounding.

good luck !!![/quote]

Ditto in many ways.

My experience was with an old 45w valve Custom Sound Trucker combo I used to loan from the local arts centre. I think it was either a 1x12 or 1x15 but I still remember the lovely warm sound that thing used to make.

• 3 years later...

I've just picked up a Sessionette 100 Compact Bass 1x12 for £40. I'm sure it has its limitations, but I'll only be using it for the odd occasion when I have to stand in on bass in small group jazz settings. Speaker is a Celestion G12C-125 T3606. Was pretty scruffy when I got it but has scrubbed up nicely. Anyone got a link to the downloadable manual mentioned upstream? Thanks. Jonathan

i had the 100w 1x15 combo, bought it new for £350 on Denmark St in London in about '85; sold it in about '95 in Nottingham for £150 and still regret letting it go a bit, but not a lot. It had nice tones, but tended to hiss; which was not really a problem live, but no good for recording. It was loud enough live, just.

I think I remember having the same problem with occasional cut-outs of power and it went through fuses a bit too.

Good for home use at £40, I reckon.