Why become a member? ×

Aguilar preamps - DB 925 vs original DB 924

bakerster135

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice from those in the know...

I've been using an Aguilar DB 924 outboard preamp with my Jazz Basses for many years which I absolutely love, but it's now got a wonky treble pot and the battery holder's a bit broken, so I'm thinking it's time to replace it, or at least buy a backup...

Aguilar recently released the DB 925, which is essentially advertised as a more compact version of the DB 924.

What I want to know is whether the DB 925 is going to give me the exact same sound as my old DB 924? As far as I can see the 925 runs on the same OBP-1 preamp and the bass and treble frequencies are the same, but it runs at 9v whereas I believe the 924 runs at 18v (two 9v batteries).

Has anyone compared the two? Are there any differences in headroom, tone or volume between the two units?

I have tried contacting Aguilar but to no avail and, in my current living situation, getting to a stockist to compare the two is not possible, so I would appreciate any advice anyone can give me on this, as I'd prefer not to have to order the 925 then return it if it's not going to do the same job.
Edited by bakerster135