Why become a member? ×

Black Friday Deals?

Al Krow

30 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

PMT have 10% off, so I picked up their remaining B-Stock ABM600 Evo-IV, which was £389, so with the 10% off it was pretty well half price.

Just what I need in a lockdown, a 600W amp

Yeah I picked up one of those a few weeks back, just didn’t think of Black Friday plus had no idea if they only had one so nabbed at the time.

But ordered two of the ABM PRO-NEO 210s from PMT today, a nice saving of £95  so pretty pleased with that.

And yes, a new 600 watt two-cab stack in lockdown, much needed 🤣

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Yeah I picked up one of those a few weeks back, just didn’t think of Black Friday plus had no idea if they only had one so nabbed at the time.

Yeh, I have been trying to justify it for ages, and assumed it would have gone but then realised there were two. So now there are none. The 10% was just enough to push it over the edge, on the hope that one day it can get used

20 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

But ordered two of the ABM PRO-NEO 210s from PMT today, a nice saving of £95  so pretty pleased with that.

Oh don't get me started on that, now my amp is actually slightly over the rating of my speakers so I am thinking, hmm.. do I need something else!

I cant work out why Ashdown (direct) only have deals on their guitar stuff. I get they want to promote it etc, and I understand why not to have a black friday sale, but hammering bassists with ads for expensive guitar amps doesnt make much sense to me.

24 minutes ago, la bam said:

I cant work out why Ashdown (direct) only have deals on their guitar stuff. I get they want to promote it etc, and I understand why not to have a black friday sale, but hammering bassists with ads for expensive guitar amps doesnt make much sense to me.

Was just thinking the same thing!!

Just idle curiosity, but I was wondering if there were any national statistics comparing total quarterly or yearly sales, including these Black Friday ones, with previous years without this 'event'. Are sales in this current period missed sales from either earlier or later on..? I'd expect a slight increase overall, just because of the extra 'hype' involved, and impulse buys, but is it really as big an increase in the larger scheme of things..? Just wondering. :scratch_one-s_head:

9 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Just idle curiosity, but I was wondering if there were any national statistics comparing total quarterly or yearly sales, including these Black Friday ones, with previous years without this 'event'. Are sales in this current period missed sales from either earlier or later on..? I'd expect a slight increase overall, just because of the extra 'hype' involved, and impulse buys, but is it really as big an increase in the larger scheme of things..? Just wondering. :scratch_one-s_head:

On the whole 'Black Friday' is utter nonsense! I'd hazard a guess that out of every 100 'deals' only 1 represents an actually worthwhile deal. There's a few things floating around that are worth it if you want that item, but on the whole it is really just a big scam!! 

The only decent Black Friday deal I've found this year was Laithwaites.

6 bottles of red and two wine tumblers delivered for less than £40, normal price £90

Of course buying that meant I had to get a similar deal on 6 bottles of white for the boss, so we now have 4 wine tumblers we don't need :D

binky_bass, guess no more, you are right, quick google search directed me to a which? article from last year: "In fact, just three of the 119 products we tracked - that's 1% - were at their very cheapest price on Black Friday."

there is a site in the country of my origin called fakefriday - some guy put it up and it essentially has bots scanning tech websites, you can look for a product and see if it really is a deal. obviously, it almost never is :D

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

On the whole 'Black Friday' is utter nonsense! I'd hazard a guess that out of every 100 'deals' only 1 represents an actually worthwhile deal. 

I don't think so. If there is something you wanted (like I did) and now that same thing is now 10% cheaper, that is a worthwhile deal. As long as it was something you wanted in the first place.

9 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I don't think so. If there is something you wanted (like I did) and now that same thing is now 10% cheaper, that is a worthwhile deal. As long as it was something you wanted in the first place.

Which leads me to believe (with little proof...) that the net result is simply  lost profit for those outlets giving these 'deals'. Many of the items would have been bought, either sooner, by those waiting for Black Friday, or later, by those buying for Christmas, or later in the year (or next...). Some purchases made which would not have been, but the 'Black Friday alone' takings are not 'real' figures; they are at the expense of other moments in the year. I may be wrong, but it seems like a bit of 'shooting oneself in the foot', much of the time. 9_9

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

Here you go:

Black Friday expected to beat UK online sales records | Business | The Guardian

Not exactly answering your question, but may serve to idle away a little of your curiosity 😊 

35 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Which leads me to believe (with little proof...) that the net result is simply  lost profit for those outlets giving these 'deals'.

Some, not all. A lot of shops would be better to not do it, but it depends on your market.

That ab600 I bought is a b stock, it has been reduced since their sale last month and I have been interested in it since then. I kept going back and thinking about it, but I didn't buy it (its a lockdown, don't get to use an amp but it is a good deal). But they put a 10% on that, and I did buy it.

So in this case it made a sale where one wasn't.

58 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Agree, the cabs I’ve bought I would have bought anyway but hoped they’d be in the BF sales. I only made the decision to buy them about a month back, and with no gigs it wasn’t a hardship to wait and see. I now just hope they’re not 20% off In Xmas/January sales.

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

That's true, but I think the point of the which article is that you have to be careful as they often aren't actually any cheaper, retailers just claim the RRP is more to make it look like a deal. Not music related but I was looking at something in the Amazon black friday sale (because I wanted it anyway), £14.99, 50% off from RRP of £29.99. Curry's have the same thing, £10, RRP guess how much? £14.99.

It's not new, I saw B&Q do it a few years ago for the january sales, I had bought a kitchen from them and needed an extra door or something, but the prices had mysteriously doubled. They stayed double for long enough for B&Q to say they were having a half price sale and then went back to normal price for the sale.

If you know what price something was before Black Friday and it's definitely cheaper then go for the deal. I got a Barefaced Big Baby last year in their Black Friday sale and it really was 20% off.

1 hour ago, adamg67 said:

That's true, but I think the point of the which article is that you have to be careful as they often aren't actually any cheaper, retailers just claim the RRP is more to make it look like a deal.

Agreed, but that is just common sense, just because someone puts a sale tag on something, look around to see if it is cheaper. Generally though if you wanted it before the sale, you know how much it cost

2 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Which leads me to believe (with little proof...) that the net result is simply  lost profit for those outlets giving these 'deals'. Many of the items would have been bought, either sooner, by those waiting for Black Friday, or later, by those buying for Christmas, or later in the year (or next...). Some purchases made which would not have been, but the 'Black Friday alone' takings are not 'real' figures; they are at the expense of other moments in the year. I may be wrong, but it seems like a bit of 'shooting oneself in the foot', much of the time. 9_9

I wouldn't have thought retailers would be taking part in Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales unless it made them a profit. Q4 is naturally busy for them with all of the holidays, but this weekend is def one of the busiest in the year for them - with lockdowns and the general publics feeling of unease about visiting busy shopping centres/districts then this year even more so. 

I guess you can bucket the sales into something like people that will buy the product anyway and are just looking for a discount; people that are on the fence and the discount pushes them over the line and then people that didn't really start the day wanting the product and just saw a good 'deal'. I would have thought the second 2 categories more than make up for the buyers who would have bought anyway.

Plus, there's other costs associated to the seller that you can think about. These sales help to clear stock, so they have less warehouse space to pay for when next years lines are released and stock bought in. When that new years stock is bought in they'd probably see the old lines not selling, so would have to offer a discount anyway, and that discount would likely be more than the BF sale.